Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 AM

23 posts, read 99,737 times

Advertisements

PL. give me some suggestion about the following:

I am first time home buyer. We selected a home (townhouse) NJ, which is located in good neighborhood, they are asking $430,000, SQ,ft of the house is 1650 kitchen has to remodel everything (cabinets, all appliances in kitchen) and also not well maintained……. but other house with same sq.ft and same feature house sold $420,000 that house is fully remodeled kitchen and maintained good. So from how much we have to negotiate that kind of house.

For remodeling kitchen approximately how much it costs?

Give me some good suggestions about buying houses...... remodeling kitchens....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,951,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl_1793 View Post

I am first time home buyer. We selected a home (townhouse) NJ, which is located in good neighborhood, they are asking $430,000, SQ,ft of the house is 1650 kitchen has to remodel everything (cabinets, all appliances in kitchen) and also not well maintained……. but other house with same sq.ft and same feature house sold $420,000 that house is fully remodeled kitchen and maintained good. So from how much we have to negotiate that kind of house.

for that kind of money in this type of real estate market you should not have to settle for a poorly maintained place, keep looking for one in better shape.
Renovations can be expensive and prices can be anywhere from 10k an up depending on materials and appliances

Old 12-12-2007, 08:56 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,657,054 times
The current (as of a few years ago when I did kitchens) "typical" kitchen remodel costs from $35-$55k.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM

687 posts, read 3,246,898 times
You didn't state where the townhouse is, but 430k seems like a lot for a 1650 sq.ft. townhouse that needs a good bit of work done.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM

222 posts, read 1,024,522 times
Quote:
for that kind of money in this type of real estate market you should not have to settle for a poorly maintained place, keep looking for one in better shape.
Agree, that's an insane price for a townhome that needs work.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,915,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
Agree, that's an insane price for a townhome that needs work.
In certain parts of NJ, that's not an insane price at all. We need to know more to comment on the actual price.
Comparing it to the stated comp, though, it still seems like it's overpriced. One would think that you should pay less money for the same model in lesser condition, right? Especially in the current NJ market, which is, by most accounts, mostly declining.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
In certain parts of NJ, that's not an insane price at all. We need to know more to comment on the actual price.
Comparing it to the stated comp, though, it still seems like it's overpriced. One would think that you should pay less money for the same model in lesser condition, right? Especially in the current NJ market, which is, by most accounts, mostly declining.
I agree, I'd expect that price for a small townhome in Basking Ridge or a slightly large in Bedminster for instance (if not higher).

Old 12-12-2007, 03:09 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,352,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl_1793 View Post

It sounds high for that size townhouse, but have no idea what area your looking. I did a search on Realtor.com for Manalapan, and found townhouse listings from the $300's. There were even some 4 bedroom ones for under $400,000 and those are like a 2 family attached house, there is no unit attached on one side.They also have a garage and a Driveway.Some, have finished basements.
Unless that is a Very UPSCALE place its high.
Diane G

Old 12-12-2007, 04:53 PM

18,432 posts, read 15,184,095 times
There are some towns where that would be a steal, others where it would be way overpriced. It is impossible to make such statements without knowing the location.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,915,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
It sounds high for that size townhouse, but have no idea what area your looking. I did a search on Realtor.com for Manalapan, and found townhouse listings from the $300's. There were even some 4 bedroom ones for under $400,000 and those are like a 2 family attached house, there is no unit attached on one side.They also have a garage and a Driveway.Some, have finished basements.
Unless that is a Very UPSCALE place its high.
Diane G
How did you choose Manalapan, Diane? Did I miss a post. So far as I can see, the specific are within NJ was never mentioned. And while that price may be high for Manalapan, it's a tad low for Basking Ridge. So we siomply don't have enough info to say whether it's high or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey