Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:25 PM

380 posts, read 607,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I've said this a million times before, quoting 35-45 minutes to Penn Station from Ridgewood is completely inaccurate. There is one train, one train(out of 20 during morning rush) that even claims to make the trip in 45 minutes(35 minutes is just preposterous). The average time from Ridgewood to NY Penn 55 minutes, if the transfer is late in secaucus you are up to slightly over an hour often. Allendale is over an hour on the best day.

New Jersey Transit - Home
It's not preposterous in the least bit. I did it for many years. Please note, I said EXPRESS trains, not all trains, so you cannot quote average for the aggregate.

Check your very own link, the 730 from Ridgewood puts one in Penn in 45 mins, including transfers. On the way back, the ride on the 615 is 38 mins, again including transfers.

Obviously lateness/delays can be a factor everywhere, not just the bcl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 01:34 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
It's not preposterous in the least bit. I did it for many years. Please note, I said EXPRESS trains, not all trains, so you cannot quote average for the aggregate.

Check your very own link, the 730 from Ridgewood puts one in Penn in 45 mins, including transfers. On the way back, the ride on the 615 is 38 mins, again including transfers.

Obviously lateness/delays can be a factor everywhere, not just the bcl.
Again you are pointing to ONE train out of 50. That is very misleading and NO train does it in 35 minutes, period. The fastest as you point out is 38(on the way back no less), which is usually wishful thinking. The majority of people taking the train from Ridgewood to NY Penn will have a time on the train of 55 minutes.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Again you are pointing to ONE train out of 50. That is very misleading and NO train does it in 35 minutes, period. The fastest as you point out is 38(on the way back no less), which is usually wishful thinking. The majority of people taking the train from Ridgewood to NY Penn will have a time on the train of 55 minutes.
I've never disputed the 55 mins average for everyone. In the very beginning, I qualified it with "if timed properly".

Yes, the one train happens to be the fast express one, but there are quite a few others that do the ride in less than 55, eg the 646, 702, 808.

Quoting the stated time nj transit gives is not "wishful thinking", it's relevant information. In general, trains are delayed far less than busses and nyc subways. Of course there are delays all the time on the bcl, but then you'd have to apply that standard to every nj transit line, lirr and metro north train.

Edit: one other edge ridgewood/hohokus/allendale have over many other nj train stations is that they are served by 2 different train lines, the main and Bergen, which merge after ridgewood.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
I've never disputed the 55 mins average for everyone. In the very beginning, I qualified it with "if timed properly".

Yes, the one train happens to be the fast express one, but there are quite a few others that do the ride in less than 55, eg the 646, 702, 808.

Quoting the stated time nj transit gives is not "wishful thinking", it's relevant information. In general, trains are delayed far less than busses and nyc subways. Of course there are delays all the time on the bcl, but then you'd have to apply that standard to every nj transit line, lirr and metro north train.

Edit: one other edge ridgewood/hohokus/allendale have over many other nj train stations is that they are served by 2 different train lines, the main and Bergen, which merge after ridgewood.
This is an old article(4 years) but from my experience still holds true today. I take the train every single weekday into Manhattan and have done so for almost 8 years(2 from Rutherford, 1 year from Ridgewood, 3 From Hawthorne, and now 2 from Clifton). Bottom line is if you are moving to Ridgewood you should expect a commute time of 55 minutes on the train, some days you may make it up to 10 minutes faster but that is the norm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/27/ny...time.html?_r=0

Old 11-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
This is an old article(4 years) but from my experience still holds true today. I take the train every single weekday into Manhattan and have done so for almost 8 years(2 from Rutherford, 1 year from Ridgewood, 3 From Hawthorne, and now 2 from Clifton).

I agree, delays happen everywhere. Some lines are worse than others. Lucky for us both, Bergen and main lines seem the best out of nj transit, .

Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
This is an old article(4 years) but from my experience still holds true today. I take the train every single weekday into Manhattan and have done so for almost 8 years(2 from Rutherford, 1 year from Ridgewood, 3 From Hawthorne, and now 2 from Clifton). Bottom line is if you are moving to Ridgewood you should expect a commute time of 55 minutes on the train, some days you may make it up to 10 minutes faster but that is the norm.

Agree. I took the train from Ridgewood for decades, first to the WTC and then to the Flatiron area after the buildings went down. You don't do door to door in less than an hour to anywhere in the city.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,490 times
Check out oradell - 35-40 min bus from port authority (this is early or later in evening) or 45-50 min train

Old 11-10-2014, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,677 times
Default This does exist

Hi,

Don't let everyone tell you that you can't have it all. Why do you think NJ is the most densely populated state? Because it does have it all. Have you considered Monmouth County, particularly Middletown, Red Bank, or Freehold? Great schools, close to the train and Garden State Parkway (1 hour into the city), close to the shore, and excellent communities. I'm a Realtor in the area so feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. [url=http://www.HenryGraebe.com]Henry GraebeHeritage House Sotheby's International Realty[/url]

Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyHenry View Post
Hi,

Don't let everyone tell you that you can't have it all. Why do you think NJ is the most densely populated state? Because it does have it all. Have you considered Monmouth County, particularly Middletown, Red Bank, or Freehold? Great schools, close to the train and Garden State Parkway (1 hour into the city), close to the shore, and excellent communities. I'm a Realtor in the area so feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. Henry GraebeHeritage House Sotheby's International Realty
This isn't having all. The OP wants an 1:15 commute.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This isn't having all. The OP wants an 1:15 commute.
Just yet another schmoe with a real estate license jumping on here to advertise himself.

You are correct. There's no train from Freehold, and the commute from Red Bank is at least an hour and a half, maybe more depending upon where in the city the job is. It's an hour and a half minimum to the WTC, which is probably the shortest city commute. Middletown is about a whole five minutes shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey