Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,256 times

Advertisements

Hello!!!
We are moving to Princeton area with our 3.5 yr old son for my husband's job. He will be working around the college road east area ( sorry, I have no idea except the road name, have never lived in the US).

We are looking to rent a 2Bed 1.5 - 2Bath apartment initially. I am looking for suggestions on the following:

1. Safe & Walk friendly neighbourhoods( husband travels a lot and I will need to take my son out for his activities)
2. good school district - my son has been identified as Gifted here and schools with gifted education will be great
3. Easy access to amenities - grocery stores/public transport/libraries/community centers etc.
4. Pre schools/nursery schools closeby

My rental budget is around 1500$. Is this too low? If so, how much would be reasonable? Also would be great if you can suggest some apt names? Good school district and safe community where I can walk everywhere are my priorities. Husband is okay with a long commute or we can get a car.

We are planning a look and see visit around August before we move.

Thank you.

PS: An indian grocery store closeby would be an added bonus though!!!

-MK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
NJ is being invaded by Indians! First there were Indians from India. Now there are more Indians coming from Singapore!!!

OP - just kidding! There is a high population of Indians in Princeton / West Windsor area. Schools are top rated and overall a very family friendly town. But it is all spread out so you will not be able to walk to buy your grocery or supplies, you will need a car. You should be able to find decent 2BR units for $1500-2000.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRT76 View Post
Hello!!!
We are moving to Princeton area with our 3.5 yr old son for my husband's job. He will be working around the college road east area ( sorry, I have no idea except the road name, have never lived in the US).

We are looking to rent a 2Bed 1.5 - 2Bath apartment initially. I am looking for suggestions on the following:

1. Safe & Walk friendly neighbourhoods( husband travels a lot and I will need to take my son out for his activities)
2. good school district - my son has been identified as Gifted here and schools with gifted education will be great
3. Easy access to amenities - grocery stores/public transport/libraries/community centers etc.
4. Pre schools/nursery schools closeby

My rental budget is around 1500$. Is this too low? If so, how much would be reasonable? Also would be great if you can suggest some apt names? Good school district and safe community where I can walk everywhere are my priorities. Husband is okay with a long commute or we can get a car.

We are planning a look and see visit around August before we move.

Thank you.

PS: An indian grocery store closeby would be an added bonus though!!!

-MK

Welcome to NJ. The Princeton area is lovely & there are lots of activities for both adults & children. Princeton has a world-class museum (which is free !) and great local theater. Plus a great library on campus for children Cotsen Children's Library

The public libraries around here are excellent & always busy!

The schools in Princeton and West Windsor are very good.

To see where College Road East is located you can use www.mapquest.com

Your rental budget of $1,500 for a 2-bedroom is a bit low for this area. $1,700 or $1,800 is more reasonable.

You may want to look at Canal Pointe or Colonnade Pointe in West Windsor. These are condos but a large number of owners rent their units. Or, look at apartments in Plainsboro. The apartments in Plainsboro are usually a bit smaller, but cost a little less.

Take a look at craigslist (central Jersey) under housing. central NJ all housing classifieds - craigslist

The West Windsor-Plainsboro School District is excellent.

Note that some homes have mailing addresses that do not refect the town or school district. For instance, Canal Pointe is in West Windsor, but has a Princeton mailing address.

Besides easy access to NJ Transit trains & buses, Princeton University runs local Tiger Transit buses. Tiger Transit buses are free for anyone to use.

NJ Transit www.njtransit.com
Tiger Transit Transportation & Parking

You will love living in this area !!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,058,138 times
College Rd East is in Plainsboro, NJ, across Rte. 1 from Princeton. The West Windsor-Plainsboro school district is a solidly good district that ranks well in the State.

Plainsboro has numerous rental options, a brand new library and a recently completed "town centre" with a few stores, cafes etc.

Kindercare care is located on College Rd East in Plainsboro.

Your rental budget for Plainsboro will be fine.

I believe their are 2 Asian Markets in Plainsboro.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM

289 posts, read 608,574 times
College Rd East is in Plainsboro, NJ. The postal address might say Princeton as that address might be served by Princeton Post Office, but that street seems to be in Plainsboro township.

Your kid will not be going to public school until s/he is 5 yr old. So, school should not be a criterion for you right now (and hence you do not have to pay the premium for a good school district just yet). There are many rentals available in Plainsboro, but if you wanted to save on rent, I would say you can look at rentals in East Windsor. Specifically, you can look at apartments around 1 Mile Rd in East Windsor area- Wyncrest at East Windsor, Windsor Commons at East Windsor. You can find details at Apartments for Rent - Your Trusted Apartment Finder Tool at ApartmentGuide.com . You will still be close to College Rd East Area (15-20 min drive during peak times, 10-15min at other times plus you will save a little on rent.

As you might be aware, unlike Singapore, public transport and Taxis have limited availability in the US, especially in suburban locations like the one you are moving to. You will have to buy at least 1 car within days of landing in the US. East Windsor has plenty of shopping (including Indian Grocery store and restaurants) within 1 or 2 miles of the apartments I mentioned above. But given the distances and the weather in the US, you will need a car to get to anywhere.

If you really wanted to save on rent you can also look at Princeton Arms Apartments (Home - Hilton Real Estate - Residential). These apartments are not as nice as the apartments on 1 Mile Rd, but the rent is lower. I think Princeton Arms NORTH is a better building (among other Princeton Arms buildings), they have 2BR for $1320. It is kind of like a older HDB community in Singapore (I have lived in Singapore long time back). Princeton Arms NORTH is about 20-25 min drive from College Rd East during peak traffic times.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:42 PM

Agree that living in Central Jersey without at least one car in the family would be difficult.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:18 AM

300 posts, read 914,191 times
East Windsor if you want bigger apt but you are giving up little bit on safety over plainsboro but nothing to be afraid of. EW also has more shopping convenience and makes it easier to hop on to highway if you ever want. Some of the apt in plainsboro are so small you want to make sure you do not regret.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,256 times
Thank you all for your replies. We will be getting a car as soon as we land. I am ok with a smaller apt if its a better school district but as pointed out my son wont be in KG for a year atleast after we get there...something to consider.

And I have factored in an increased rental budget - arnd 1800$ max 2000$.

-MK

Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRT76 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. We will be getting a car as soon as we land. I am ok with a smaller apt if its a better school district but as pointed out my son wont be in KG for a year atleast after we get there...something to consider.

And I have factored in an increased rental budget - arnd 1800$ max 2000$.

-MK

A rental budget of $1,800 for a 2-bedroom should be fine.

I agree with the other poster that the apartments in Plainsboro are smaller. But, you may want to rent something for one year & during that year get to know the area. Visit different towns, look at different rentals, etc.

After living here for awhile you'll get a feel for what town you'll be happiest living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: