Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 7,004 times

Advertisements

Work is bringing me cross country with my family. I've got four kids, two elementary age, and am looking for a place to rent with in commuting distance of Hackettstown - hopefully no more than an hour - and really good schools.

For the rental, we're looking for a single-family home 3+ beds and 1.5+ bath, budget $2k-$3k/mo. Ideally we'd get a 4 bed 2.5 bath for $2K, but that seems like a looooong shot.

In any case, I've talked to a few people who've recommended Allamuchy and Budd Lake, and one person recommended Stroudsberg, PA. Is that even doable? Where else should we look?

My wife would like to be closer to NYC, but I realize going that direction quickly raises the prices we'll pay.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Long Valley, aka Washington Township, Morris County. You'll pay more than $2K, but you can probably get something in your budget. Schools are (much) better than Allamuchy, BL and Stroudsberg, PA. Depending on where the house is located, you could be as little as 5 minutes from work (I assume it's Mars) or high end 20 minutes.

ETA - you can look closer to NYC, price would be an issue, you are correct but you would have a reverse commute, which is a bonus.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Long Valley, aka Washington Township, Morris County. You'll pay more than $2K, but you can probably get something in your budget. Schools are (much) better than Allamuchy, BL and Stroudsberg, PA. Depending on where the house is located, you could be as little as 5 minutes from work (I assume it's Mars) or high end 20 minutes.

ETA - you can look closer to NYC, price would be an issue, you are correct but you would have a reverse commute, which is a bonus.
^^ This. If I worked in Hackettstown, Long Valley would be my top choice.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM

206 posts, read 532,572 times
Chester and Tewksbury are also worth looking into but probably a bit harder to fit into your budget.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 PM

206 posts, read 532,572 times
I should add consider Peapack/Gladstone, you might find something there at the upper end of your price range and then you'd be on a train line to NYC as well. Great schools, parks, though quiet. 30 minutes from Hackettstown with no traffic but probably closer to an hour commute, someone else could tell you that better.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis44 View Post
I should add consider Peapack/Gladstone, you might find something there at the upper end of your price range and then you'd be on a train line to NYC as well. Great schools, parks, though quiet. 30 minutes from Hackettstown with no traffic but probably closer to an hour commute, someone else could tell you that better.
I'd say it's about 40 minutes high end, but may be a bear in bad weather trying to navigate Schooley's Mtn (which can be an issue even in LV depending on where house is). That wouldn't deter me however - every town mentioned is a good choice, it's a matter of finding a home that fits their needs.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
I completely agree with Tahiti's recommendation of Long Valley. One thing I would caution the OP about is that they need to make sure the house is in the West Morris Regional HS district. There are many homes who's address is Long Valley (or Washington Twp) but the home is actually in another town and school district. There are several towns who all send to West Morris Regional HS, and they all have great elementary and middle schools, but some neighboring schools are not very good. Due to the LV area being so rural, the mailing addresses can be very confusing. Caveat Emptor.

KoalaNJ

Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,004 times
Thanks for all the great responses! I didn't expect so many so quickly.

Will definitely look in Long Valley, and will look at SD boundaries as well. Will also check out Peapack/Gladstone.

Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBel View Post
Thanks for all the great responses! I didn't expect so many so quickly.

Will definitely look in Long Valley, and will look at SD boundaries as well. Will also check out Peapack/Gladstone.

Thanks again.
Although Peapack Gladstone is a wonderful town, before you commit to a place with a longer work commute, look at Chester Borough and Chester Twp. The area called Long Valley also includes homes located in Chester Twp. (and both the Twp and Boro are in the highly regarded WMRHS district and have wonderful elementary and middle schools) There are a number of rentals in your price range.

Another caveat about the Long Valley area is that you want to make sure the home is on municipal water, and not on private well, as most every home is on septic.

KoalaNJ

Old 05-23-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I completely agree with Tahiti's recommendation of Long Valley. One thing I would caution the OP about is that they need to make sure the house is in the West Morris Regional HS district. There are many homes who's address is Long Valley (or Washington Twp) but the home is actually in another town and school district. There are several towns who all send to West Morris Regional HS, and they all have great elementary and middle schools, but some neighboring schools are not very good. Due to the LV area being so rural, the mailing addresses can be very confusing. Caveat Emptor.

KoalaNJ
Any home that has an LV mailing address is indeed in LV. However, you can have one of several other zips and still be in "LV". OP needs to specify Washington Twp Morris County, that will insure a house with a Califon address for example is part of the township. It is confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey