Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,113 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a new job that would require a move. My spouse and I live in San Francisco and the apartment has appreciated in value a lot over the past few years. I have owned and lived in the apartment for over 2 years, but my spouse only moved in 10 months ago after we got married. Can anyone tell me how much of the $500k capital gains exclusion we would qualify for since my spouse doesn't meet the 2 year use rule?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:10 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSF View Post
I'm considering taking a new job that would require a move. My spouse and I live in San Francisco and the apartment has appreciated in value a lot over the past few years. I have owned and lived in the apartment for over 2 years, but my spouse only moved in 10 months ago after we got married. Can anyone tell me how much of the $500k capital gains exclusion we would qualify for since my spouse doesn't meet the 2 year use rule?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure why this is being asked in the NJ forum, but you should really ask a CPA based in California.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSF View Post

Thanks in advance!
For Federal, $250,000 if you file jointly. If you file separately, since CA is a community property state she'll take half the gain and pay taxes on all of it, and you'll take half the gain and get up to a $250,000 deduction on your half.

Publication 523 (2013), Selling Your Home

Old 06-03-2014, 12:26 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
For Federal, $250,000 if you file jointly. If you file separately, since CA is a community property state she'll take half the gain and pay taxes on all of it, and you'll take half the gain and get up to a $250,000 deduction on your half.

Publication 523 (2013), Selling Your Home
Gay marriage is has been legal in California for awhile now as it is in New Jersey. To be on the safe side of PC referring to a *spouse* as automatically *she* (or the reverse of whatever gender the writer appears to be) is not always accurate.

Just a thought.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Quote:
Because the move is due to a new job, an exception to the 2-year rule applies; assuming the new job is at least 50 miles further from home than the old job.

Use Worksheet 3 in Publication 523 (as directed by nybbler, above). As I read it, the spouse is entitled to a prorated deduction for the number of days occupied; the formula being (# days occupied) divided by 730 multiplied by $250,000.

If spouse has already resided there for 10 months, it will be at least a year by the time this closes, entitling spouse to a $125,000+ exclusion atop OP's $250,000 exclusion.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Gay marriage is has been legal in California for awhile now as it is in New Jersey. To be on the safe side of PC referring to a *spouse* as automatically *she* (or the reverse of whatever gender the writer appears to be) is not always accurate.

Just a thought.
"I don't care LOL bye". If OP wishes to correct me I will use the correct pronoun, otherwise I'm not going to go through contortions to avoid making a choice.

(also, I assumed "Mike" was a male even though I've known women who went by "Mike")

Old 06-03-2014, 03:15 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
"I don't care LOL bye". If OP wishes to correct me I will use the correct pronoun, otherwise I'm not going to go through contortions to avoid making a choice.

(also, I assumed "Mike" was a male even though I've known women who went by "Mike")
Perhaps it is just me and as a result of living in NYC thus having to deal with endless memos at work about "PC" correct ways of addressing persons or whatever that one no longer automatically associates "spouse" with a husband or wife of the opposite sex. That being said usually when one hears that word from a man these days it is most always a SSM. Straight men one knows or hears speaking of their "spouse" use the word they have for ages "wife". Well there are a few others but this is a family group, *LOL*

Have also noticed more and more form from both federal and local government or whatever no longer list "husband" or "wife" but the generic "spouse". Just as "father" and "mother" is being replaced by the generic "parent" or in some cases "parent 1" and "parent 2".

Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,113 times
Thanks everyone and sorry for putting it in the NJ forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: