Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Woodbridge has combined voting with food donations. "Cast a can when you cast a vote".
As the law does not always equate to 'on the street everyday logic', is something like this legal?

Many people will feel peer pressure to donate as a requirement to cast a vote and that may make some think twice about going to vote and these type of elections traditionally have low turnout.

Seems a bit smarmy wrapped in a good cause.

What do you think?

"WOODBRIDGE – Township voters headed to the polls on Nov. 5 will be asked to donate canned goods and non-perishable food items at polling locations.
“Cast-A-Can-When-You-Cast-Your-Vote” is an Election Day food drive coordinated by students from Woodbridge and JFK High Schools, along with the Board of Elections and Town Hall. Drop-off containers will be placed at every polling location throughout the Township."

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2013/10/woodbridge_to_ask_for_food_donations_at_election_d ay_polling_places.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Ha. I'd go to vote with no can, and if anyone questioned me I'd tell them "Voting is a right; it is not a privilege conditioned on donating to your charity".

Might be considered a Voting Rights Act violation at that, even as only a request... expect lawsuits.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
I don't see what the big deal is. This is a civics project arranged by high school kids, and the donations are COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY. No one's even there to watch the donations. From the article:

Quote:
The students will place drop-off containers at every polling location throughout the township.

After the polls close, the students collect the containers...
I don't think anyone would feel pressure to donate by an unmanned, empty drop-off container. I doubt anyone would even notice it. I feel more pressure by the cashiers and solicitors standing outside ShopRite asking me to donate money for this or that. How can I not afford to donate $1 for the homeless or for breast cancer research or for kids with autism, when I just spent $50 on pretentious organic produce? THAT'S pressure.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:04 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. This is a civics project arranged by high school kids, and the donations are COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY. No one's even there to watch the donations.

I don't think anyone would feel pressure to donate by an unmanned, empty drop-off container. I doubt anyone would even notice it. I feel more pressure by the cashiers and solicitors standing outside ShopRite asking me to donate money for this or that. How can I not afford to donate $1 for the homeless or for breast cancer research or for kids with autism, when I just spent $50 on pretentious organic produce? THAT'S pressure.

Very well-expressed--as always.
I don't view this as being a genuine issue for anyone.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Ah, but the great slippery slope lurks around the corner.

A genuine concern for some is valid. And if one vote is lost......

Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. This is a civics project arranged by high school kids, and the donations are COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY. No one's even there to watch the donations. From the article:

LOL, totally agree.

As for this food drive... never let a good deed go unpunished!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ah, but the great slippery slope lurks around the corner.
A genuine concern for some is valid. And if one vote is lost......
Agreed. It would not dissuade me, but it will dissuade some. The linkage is inappropriate.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Wow. this thread has to take the cake for most ridiculous on the new jersey forum. i'd almost rather see another thread asking if poster can live within 1 hour of nyc with great schools, no crime, and a $300,000 budget.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Agreed. It would not dissuade me, but it will dissuade some. The linkage is inappropriate.

If a bin for collecting canned food donations is enough to dissuade someone from voting, then we have truly lost sight of the worth of our right to vote.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
If a bin for collecting canned food donations is enough to dissuade someone from voting, then we have truly lost sight of the worth of our right to vote.
Hey... I'm surprised the politicians aren't the ones complaining, now that the shoe is on the other foot.
Aren't they usually the ones giving out the goodies to get the vote?
Shouldn't it be 'grab a can when you cast a vote'? Grab a can each time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: