Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 19,503 times

Advertisements

Good day folks!

I was just recommended this website by a good friend of mine. My wife & I are looking to move to one of the four towns mentioned above. If anybody can give some insight in terms of demographic, safety, & downtown exposure that would be great.

P.S. The move won't be until at least Dec 14' & out budget is between 1800-2400 monthly. We want to rent first then figure out exactly what to do. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Linden is a dump. Don't know about the rest

Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Linden is a dump.
If you think that Linden is a dump, then you definitely don't want to see Roselle!

Hillside has a small area that is relatively safe, but--overall--I wouldn't recommend Hillside if you are looking for a low-crime area. Linden is certainly not as good as it used to be, but it is still better--overall--than either Roselle or Hillside.

Of the OP's list, I think that Union is the best town to consider.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
All four have seen better days, but Union is still the best of the bunch. Just stay away from the Vauxhall section. If you have kids, you'll either have to move or consider private schools. Union school system is subpar.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
^Vauxhall is actually the third safest neighborhood in Union according to another website(out of 7-8). It's historically/majority Black, but it's not any more dangerous than the rest of Union. The part of Union that's east of the Parkway is considered the more desirable half; the elementary schools are decent, and the housing stock is generally superior than the western side

The biggest knock against Union aside from the congestion is the ranking/quality of the middle schools and the high school as they've seen better days. A lot of the Portuguese and Hispanic families that have been moving into Union in the past decade send their kids to Catholic school.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 06-02-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
They all have large Black and Hispanic/Portuguese populations with Hillside and Roselle being predominantly Black. Schools aren't the greatest. And I definitely wouldn't call Linden a dump

Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
^Vauxhall is actually the third safest neighborhood in Union according to another website(out of 7-8). It's historically/majority Black, but it's not any more dangerous than the rest of Union. The part of Union that's east of the Parkway is considered the more desirable half; the elementary schools are decent, and the housing stock is generally superior than the western side

The biggest knock against Union aside from the congestion is the ranking/quality of the middle schools and the high school; they've seen better days. A lot of the Portuguese and Hispanic families that have been moving into Union in the past decade send their kids to Catholic school.
I'll bet the name of that website is www.vauxhall.com.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
I'll bet the name of that website is www.vauxhall.com.
I'm not sure if this is a "competitor's" website (and the mods are free to remove the link it if it is), but...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I'm not sure how this was calculated, but it's better info than simply naming a historically/majority black neighborhood.

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2014 at 07:14 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 PM

16 posts, read 19,503 times
Once again, thank you. So, union would be your recommendation for one year? We have kids but both are 4 & 2 years old. Can any of you guys comment on the "downtown sections" & what would the biggest thing crime wise would we have to worry about in Union? Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM

141 posts, read 243,662 times
I guess Union has two "downtowns" Morris Ave and Stuyvesant and Chestnut Avenue part of Union. Your close to Westfield, Summit and Millburn which have better walkable downtowns. According to FBI 2012 Uniform Crime Report found the New Jersey State Police website (2013 is not completed yet) The biggest crimes are non-violent crimes (burglary, larceny, motor vehicle theft).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey