Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,764 times

Advertisements

Family of 4 traveling to the area to see NJ and NY. Kids are young teens and we are pretty seasoned travelers in most major cities. I have hotel certificates to use that limit the caliber of hotel and so anything on the island of Manhattan is off limits to me this trip.

I've narrowed our stay down to a hotel in East Rutherford at Paterson Plank Rd & Murray Hill Parkway. Our plan is to take the 160 / 163 / 164 bus into Manhattan (Port Authority Bus Terminal on 8th Ave) for the day. It would be Mid-morning travel in and mid-evening travel out, all on weekdays.

On the surface, without ever being there before, it seems like a pretty straight forward way to get into Manhattan in a reasonably quick 25 minutes without changing busses.

Anyone have any concerns with this idea that I wouldn't know as a visitor to the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 12:20 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,587 times
The bus may not be exactly on time according to the timetable but other than that it sounds like a good plan.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 21,199 times
On my way home from work, I have seen many people on the bus get off at the stops near those hotels. Never looked into it but I assume that its cost effective way visiting NYC. If there is no traffic the bus ride to NYC is about 20 - 25 min. (30 to 60 min with traffic). Don't take the bus during rush hour - hard to find a seat.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Those buses are fine, and you mention you're pretty seasoned travelers with the kids in tow. So with that PLEASE do your best to keep up with flow of other commuters going into Manhattan and out.

The most soul crushing realization for commuters on this line is "oh great, tourists..."

PM me with questions, happy to help despite the obvious negative tone to my post. Glad you're staying NJ side and we have some great stuff to offer this side of the river as well!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
The biggest thing to worry about will be the way in with the kids. That is the last stop before Manhattan and all of the seats on the bus will likely be full. Do not expect people to offer up their seats just because you have kids(especially teenagers), sometimes they will but be prepared to stand the whole trip in which can be as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes depending on traffic. Standing on a bus in traffic with narrow aisles will not a be a pleasant experience but now at least you'll be ready for it

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 06-05-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
The biggest thing to worry about will be the way in with the kids. That is the last stop before Manhattan and all of the seats on the bus will likely be full. Do not expect people to offer up their seats just because you have kids(especially teenagers), sometimes they will but be prepared to stand the whole trip in which can be as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes depending on traffic. Standing on a bus in traffic with narrow aisles will not a be a pleasant experience but now at least you'll be ready for it
With that in mind, as well as traveling back, maybe consider heading in and out of Manhattan after peak commuting hours. Before 9-10 AM you're gonna have the commuter volume and the bus is often standing only before it even gets to the hotels on Paterson Plank Rd.

Heading back to Jersey, the lines and wait time at Port Authority can be grueling as well, with standing room only occurring very quickly. Usually after 6-7 it's manageable or even easy. Stay and have dinner in the city!

Or better yet, come back and try any of the great restaurants we have here in ER.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,764 times
I appreciate everyone's advice. We'd not go into Manhattan until at least 10am and wouldn't come back out until the evening so I think we'll be in good shape based on the comments here.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey