Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

this sold last month for $260,000. prop taxes at $13,000. something seems up with multi family units in roselle. funny what a bad name west orange gets. i wonder if it is something to do with the multi family status
113 Gordon St, Roselle, NJ 07203 - Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
13000 is still high for a property sell under 300k, but it is more reasonable than 20k+.

I honestly don't know how much rent can Roselle get but I highly doubt it it can charge more than Westfield/Cranford

Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 AM

279 posts, read 461,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
They are also "cheap" because the property is located in Roselle. Certainly a less than desirable town.

No it isn't..........I live right next door in Elizabeth, it's pretty quiet in Roselle. If anything, it's a boring, average kind of town. That being said, those taxes are ridiculous.........even by New Jersey standards.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times
The Roselle, NJ schools ratings are in the red with a 3 and below. What are they doing with $12,000+ in taxes per property?

Old 11-09-2017, 02:10 PM

274 posts, read 297,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Why is Roselle's property tax so high? I know many said NJ has high tax because the government provides a lot of "services". What kind of extra ordinary "services" do Roselle provides that warrant a tax 50% to 100% more than their neighbor towns?

For example: These are not million dollar house by any standard

Single family, 220k. Tax: 21k
Aurore St and Jackson Ave - Trulia

Multi, 320k. Tax: 20k
418 Amsterdam Avenue, Roselle NJ For Sale - Trulia
higher since then

Old 11-09-2017, 02:32 PM

275 posts, read 213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Why is Roselle's property tax so high? I know many said NJ has high tax because the government provides a lot of "services". What kind of extra ordinary "services" do Roselle provides that warrant a tax 50% to 100% more than their neighbor towns?

For example: These are not million dollar house by any standard

Single family, 220k. Tax: 21k
Aurore St and Jackson Ave - Trulia

Multi, 320k. Tax: 20k
418 Amsterdam Avenue, Roselle NJ For Sale - Trulia
Pensions, Declining, but robustly paid school district, you have to pay for diversity, and a growing Democratic party that has your wallet at heart.......

Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
Pensions, Declining, but robustly paid school district, you have to pay for diversity, and a growing Democratic party that has your wallet at heart.......
Buyers need to vote with their wallets. And voters need to start killing budgets. There is positively no need to buy a home in a town with $20,000 taxes for a $300,000 home. If everyone did that, something might happen. But as long as dopey suckers choose an area like Roselle or West Orange and voluntarily put themselves over the pool table for pleasuring, the pleasure will continue. Enjoy!

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 11-10-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 01:44 PM

252 posts, read 459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
They are both 2 families, but you are right, those taxes are outrageous!

I double checked the MLS and those are indeed the taxes. I am showing a $1.1 million dollar house tomorrow that has similar taxes to those 2 properties. It doesn't make any sense.
It's a multi-family property with 1700 sqft of living space each unit. They are not taxed as a single family. The income factor is factored in and it's treated differently.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM

275 posts, read 213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Buyers need to vote with their wallets. And voters need to start killing budgets. There is positively no need to buy a home in a town with $20,000 taxes for a $300,000 home. If everyone did that, something might happen. But as long as dopey suckers choose an area like Roselle or West Orange and voluntarily put themselves over the pool table for pleasuring, the pleasure will continue. Enjoy!
I completely agree. My wife and I bought a house in a regular blue collar town. At first, we looked at homes in Cranford, Metuchen, Fanwood, and Westfield. We saw not just the crazy property taxes, but everything that comes along with living in New Jersey. We purchased in Woodbridge and although the school district may not be that desirable; we looked at each other and concluded that we came out alright despite growing up in worse circumstances. So we figured, we would do our job as parents and be on top (and then some) on our son's education and everything related to academics, and purchased a home without breaking the bank.

With that said, there are plenty of homes in Woodbridge with the same crazy property taxes though....

Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
We purchased in Woodbridge and although the school district may not be that desirable...
You are surely a master at understating the situation.
How many school districts have had one Superintendent convicted of soliciting bribes, and subsequently had supervisors, principals, teachers, an Assistant Superintendent, and a different Superintendent dismissed/removed/decertified because they colluded in a massive scheme to change students' answer sheets in order to alter the outcome of the state's proficiency testing program?

I will save you the effort.
The ONLY NJ school district that meets all of those totally negative criteria is... Woodbridge!

Most school districts attempt to boost students' test scores through intensive instruction and remediation.
Woodbridge's plan was to rely instead on altering students' answer sheets.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey