Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,973,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobellic View Post
On the day of the hearing. Get there a little ahead of time. You will find a line of people - both lawyers and violators - waiting there to talk to the prosecutor. When your turn comes, go in, discuss your case and that is it. He will modify the charge and then you go sit in court awaiting your turn.

- Remember to take your driving record abstract (from DMV) showing your clear record
- Be concise and to the point. Do not try to describe the entire story, get emotional, argumentative etc etc. They have very little patience.

The cost of points will vary by municipality.
The bolded section above cannot be overemphasized, especially for a probationary driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM

121 posts, read 170,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyphpoet View Post
Okay, sounds good
Thank you
But to be surr
They do charge per point? And that is a separate fee from the actual ticket fee, correct?
Not sure if it is per point or per violation. Eg, in many place you will pay a fine for the number of mph you were over limit, with the per mph cost going up after 10, 20 etc.

There is an additional court fee on top.

Another thing I forgot to add - DO NOT try to argue applicable statutes and laws unless you are a lawyer. It will only p*ss the prosecutor off.

Say you have no violations - perfectly clean record. no one would let you merge. You had to merge where the line turned solid. You were driving slow and has your turn signal on. You are sorry. Then plead for charges to be reduced.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM

18 posts, read 35,570 times
Alrighty, well thank you very much guys
Especially Nicobellic for your most recent replies
I'll do as you suggest and see what happens
Court date is on Weds so I'll post a reply to let you guys know what happened
I'm told to wear a suit but I think that's a bit excessive so I'll just wear interview like clothes

Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM

121 posts, read 170,544 times
Quote:
Alrighty, well thank you very much guys
Especially Nicobellic for your most recent replies
I'll do as you suggest and see what happens
Court date is on Weds so I'll post a reply to let you guys know what happened
I'm told to wear a suit but I think that's a bit excessive so I'll just wear interview like clothes
Suits are for murder trials

Regular dress pants + shirt = perfectly fine.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Lmfao
Now that was funny
Thanks again

Old 06-12-2014, 02:48 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,658,839 times
Dress neatly but comfortably. Just don't do what I've seen some do. Walk in with shorts and a old t-shirt. Showing a lack of respect for the judge will surely sink your case. Relax. It's traffic court and the judge doesn't expect you to be a lawyer. Tell your side as accurately as you can.

Quote:
DO NOT try to argue applicable statutes and laws unless you are a lawyer. It
will only p*ss the prosecutor off.
Very good advice as unless you know the applicable case law that goes with it, you'd only hurt yourself. In fact even many lawyers don't know the law that well if it's outside their practice area.

I always said, you have nothing to lose by pleading Not Guilty.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM

True but if I plead not guilty I lose the chance of getting a reduced fee or reduced points, if I'm correct.
And for a guy with little to no money, I think I have a lot to lose unfortunately.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 AM

5,770 posts, read 16,573,374 times
Quote:
True but if I plead not guilty I lose the chance of getting a reduced fee or reduced points, if I'm correct.
And for a guy with little to no money, I think I have a lot to lose unfortunately.
No you must plead not guilty in the beginning otherwise if you plead guilty no other options are offered you.
In other words if you plead guilty you have no chances of getting anything reduced.
Usually after they ask anyone pleading not guilty, then they talk to you one by one in the backroom somewhere and make any deals.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Ohhh, now I get it
Thanks a lot captne
I was about to screw myself over big time

Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 AM

400 posts, read 792,962 times
I always wonder where the cops are when people blatantly pass over solid lines... (like yesterday, when the car two lanes ahead of me decided he didn't want to be in the lane any more... something I'm surprised the 18-wheeler he cut off didn't honk at him for.)

I say go to court, obviously. I really hope they bump it way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey