Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:56 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times

Advertisements

Any hope I can bring them back to life? Anyone gotten professionals to plant shrubs on their backyard before? What kind of cost per shrub should I be expecting? Do they grow fast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:03 AM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
Here is a link to an article about browning arbor vitae, which is what your shrubs appear to be:

Dig It: Arborvitaes turn brown for many reasons - thenewsherald.com

Before investing in new plants, talk to someone at a nearby nursery who is familiar with local growing conditions. Another shrub that does better in your locale might be a better alternative.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
Since they look like good, established shrubs, you might try the fertilizer spikes, and a lot of water to see if that might bring them back. That being said, and with as many as you have in that kind of shape, I would venture to say they might also be suffering from some sort of bug attack rather than lack of nutrients and water. They look like arborvitae trees, and from my experience with them, they do not grow exceptionally fast. As far as the cost on replacing them at that height, I would imagine it might be pricey. I would get a professional out to evaluate the situation because from the looks of things in the picture, the problem is spreading. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
They look dead to me. It could be winter burn.

Why Is My Arborvitae Turning Brown?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:21 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Most of those brown ones look completely dead. This winter killed a lot of evergreens. Those will not be cheap to replace. The minimum a gardener would charge is $100 per bush. You could do it yourself for less, but it requires some work on your part, and an SUV big enough for the plants, soil and mulch. Btw, deer love arborvitae. I replaced mine with Leyland Cyprus a few years ago because the deer kept eating them. There is also a hybrid arborvitae/Cyprus that the deer don't like.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:41 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I agree that those shrubs appear to be beyond resuscitation, but I also think that a possible cause of their demise is an infestation of Spider Mites.

All too often, I have seen people trying--in vain--to save evergreen shrubs with heavy applications of fertilizer and water, when all that they needed was a periodic spraying with insecticide in order to control those spider mites.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Arborvitae grow very slowly. I planted several of them 3 years ago in full sun and they have barely shown much growth since then. The trees I purchased were in the 6'-7' range and cost me $75 each from a local nursery. You might want to cut off a branch from one of the brown trees and bring it to your local nursery. They should be able to take a look at it and determine the cause of the problem. I know Metropolitan Plant Exchange in West Orange and Fort Lee will do this.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
Like many evergreens, Arbovitae will not show damage for months after the fact.
By the time they look like this, they have died months ago. and are only showing it now.

Last winter was a very bad winter for evergreens, had a sigificant snow pact all winter.
This kept the soil wet and cold all winter.

Evergreens close to roads were hit repeatedly by salt from salting trucks and the snow pack held it close to the roots.
Not much rain to flush the salt away with fresh water

Same sort of thing down the shore, the surge from Sandy flooded the area with salt water, excess salt is in the soil and will cause problems for years for intolerate shrubs.

Don't bother trying to save these, they died long ago, just didn't show it.
You can replace them, make sure the area has good drainage

Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
Thanks for all the advice.

What other plants that look similar, faster to grow and maybe cheaper to replace? previous owner got these for privacy, I want to maintain the privacy.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Thanks for all the advice.

What other plants that look similar, faster to grow and maybe cheaper to replace? previous owner got these for privacy, I want to maintain the privacy.
A friend of my mine mentioned laurel hedges, I'm going to plant them for a privacy fence. They grow at least 3' a year and are deer resistant:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey