Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 5,851 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about the rental apts at the villas at Fairway and what it's like living there while construction is going on in the community? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,435,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I usually agree with Koala, but in this case I am going to disagree.

The locale of those apartments is separated from the student housing sector of New Brunswick by Buccleuch Park, which is fairly large.

I drive past those apartments on a regular basis--both day and night--and in addition to an absence of "booze-filled college brawls",
I don't even see pedestrians of any nature in the area. The vehicular traffic (of which there is a lot) essentially consists of those who are driving through to Route 18 or The Landing Lane Bridge, and those who are residents of those buildings.

Buccleuch Park is a buffer that isolates those apartments from whatever else might be going on in that ward.

Retriever is right that the majority of incidents of crime and violence occur south of the park/St Peter's hospital, but some does occur in the vicinity of Easton Ave north of the park and hospital. Mostly muggings, car break-ins and thefts. I personally know of a couple of people who have fallen victim (separate incidences) to crime in the northern section of those wards. Crime has gotten so bad throughout the entirety of the 5 and 6th wards recently that both the RU security and NBPD have joined together to form a neighborhood patrol specifically for those wards. New Brunswick and Rutgers team-up, forming 'neighborhood police - My9 New Jersey

To clarify my statement about "booze filled college brawls", I was referring to the common fights outside parties and/or bars where a college kid who has been drinking too much, gets annoyed at something, and starts throwing punches. Those occur on a regular basis. Perhaps I should have said "booze fueled college kid fights" instead. Although there have been a few large street fights in recent years, mostly it is the over-served knucklehead making a fool of him or herself.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,435,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold60silver View Post
Does anyone have any information about the rental apts at the villas at Fairway and what it's like living there while construction is going on in the community? Thank you.
While I am not all that familiar with that new complex, I did google and I believe they are well out of your stated budget as the smallest 1 br is going for $1750/mo.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-11-2014, 02:07 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,198,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Retriever is right that the majority of incidents of crime and violence occur south of the park/St Peter's hospital, but some does occur in the vicinity of Easton Ave north of the park and hospital. Mostly muggings, car break-ins and thefts. I personally know of a couple of people who have fallen victim (separate incidences) to crime in the northern section of those wards. Crime has gotten so bad throughout the entirety of the 5 and 6th wards recently that both the RU security and NBPD have joined together to form a neighborhood patrol specifically for those wards. New Brunswick and Rutgers team-up, forming 'neighborhood police - My9 New Jersey
That's nothing new.

The RUPD and NBPD have a history. They have "trained" together, but the NBPD wouldn't allow the campus cops to be involved in anything that happened off campus - yet the NBPD aren't patrolling "off-campus student housing areas" like they do "downtown" or "over there". You know, French, Louis, George, Throop, lower end of Suydam, Livingston, Commercial, Feaster Park, a little higher up on Hamilton or Somerset, etc.

The recent murder of a "visitor" changed a few things. And that didn't exactly happen right around the corner from Old Queens where frequent "bar brawls" & "street fight" issues created by RU students take place and speaks to the quality of students, nothing else.

Amid worries over Rutgers crime, authorities in New Brunswick announce new policing strategy | NJ.com

I was wondering what was going on when I saw I RUPD guy riding around the College Ave area on a Segway. Who paid for a fleet of those? I saw him on Richardson, to be exact. I highly doubt he or any of his buddies granted a Seg run their Seg's over on Commercial, French, Livingston, George, Harvey, Louis....etc.

Quote:
To clarify my statement about "booze filled college brawls", I was referring to the common fights outside parties and/or bars where a college kid who has been drinking too much, gets annoyed at something, and starts throwing punches. Those occur on a regular basis. Perhaps I should have said "booze fueled college kid fights" instead. Although there have been a few large street fights in recent years, mostly it is the over-served knucklehead making a fool of him or herself.
Like you said: common. That kind of "stuff" happens on or around every college campus.

I have a friend whose kid (unfortunately) goes to West Virginia....brawls and crazy happens every night of the week and especially around the off-campus student housing "town" streets during football season. They seem to love burning couches and flipping cars. It's a given, not an anomaly.

RU could be worse. It could be West Virginia.

The College Ave area is pretty decent to live in. Everything on (what we LLs consider the College Ave side, which is the side of Easton that Buccleuch park is on) is more than decent and demands pretty high rents. Until you hit the train station.

Highland Park? Eh.

It's a very lOOOOONG walk to campus. HP is congested, and it's pretty religious in a Hasidic and Orthodox Jewish kind of a way. Busy Rt. 27 running through it & run down apartment complexes full of religious folks who have gaggles of kids.

Why that always gets left out when referring to HP, I don't know.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:40 AM

12,098 posts, read 16,975,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold60silver View Post
I will be attending Rutgers grad school and am looking for a nice and safe one bedroom apt. I have looked at The Colony House but they don't seem to have anything available right now. Can anyone please tell me about 10 landing Lane apartments? I have also thought about some of the new apt buildings downtown but don't really want to live downtown. Can you recommend any other apartments, similar to the Colony House, within a 25 minute car drive for me to look at? Thank you.
It somewhat depends on what campus you will be on.

1300-1500 is a big budget for a grad student. You sure about that?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 PM

256 posts, read 570,213 times
Colony House and Landing Lane are totally safe. The only place you walk to from there is the stadium (which is super desirable, no bias here!) or the northern part of College Ave (also safe). One of my best friends live in Colony House. Unless you are afraid of chirping crickets, you will have nothing to fear there.

That isn't classic 5th and 6th- but those areas aren't unsafe so much as you need to watch your back and avoid specific areas. I say this having graduated from RU and living right off Easton for two years.

I second HP for grad students though- walk to NB and be with the other grad students. A lot of grad students also live in Society Hill (which is convenient if you're on Busch a lot) or the Highland Park area by the Cedar Lane apartments (which definitely have rentals in that range and the bus goes right by).

Does Riverwatch or another downtown spot have 1 BR for $1500 (or a similar price with a special?). The others ones downtown that would be safe are Highland Square, that building on Spring St whose name I forget, the George, the Vue...maybe more now...

Old 06-17-2014, 02:05 PM
lid

10 posts, read 14,779 times
I have lived in the colony house for about 8 months and I feel safe in and around the apartment. Would I feel safe walking from the colony house to the train station at 2am? No. But the same can be said if I picked an apartment in Highland park. So I don't understand the comment in regards the Colony House/Landing Lane not being safe. The colony House has a 24/7 doorman, cameras, well lit areas. Take something like The Vue $2000/month, very safe, but go in the wrong direction like anywhere else, it can be argued not safe. The walk to downtown/college ave campus/train station is less than 15-20 minutes. They also have a free shuttle downtown M-F 6AM-9AM, 4PM-7PM. Finally, the park offers a buffer from the cons of the downtown/Easton area and not too many undergrad college students reside at the Colony House.

I was unable to get a chance to see 10 landing lane when looking at places so I cannot comment, but I would imagine they would be an affordable option.

Highland Square, One Spring Street, The George, and The Vue will be more than 1300-1500 for a one bedroom.

For your budget, if you chose to stay in NB, I would recommend the Colony House (if a room opens up), 10 Landing, another block up is the Harrison (pictures and amenities looks great), River Watch Plaza (downtown but $70+ for parking/month).

Can't help on what would be best for a Rutgers student. I made my decision on best bang for my buck near the train station. Free parking, large layout, utilities included, and positive reviews helped me make my decision.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM

256 posts, read 570,213 times
The Harrison I believe is technically in Somerset, but it's right on the border.

Also walking from Colony House to the train station is not unsafe- it's just incredibly long. The whole walk is College Ave which is full with people.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:21 PM
lid

10 posts, read 14,779 times
Yes the Harrison is Somerset, though it is practically across the street from Colony House and 10 Landing Lane.

I agree, the walk is safe but long (15-20 minutes aka 1 mile). The point I was trying to make is the walk at 2am could be argued as unsafe. But that is the case if you are walking there from any direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey