Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:03 PM

166 posts, read 240,879 times

Advertisements

Approx. 60,000 people commute into / out of Morristown each day. Since 287 is the primary interstate into town the prevailing traffic is into town in the morning and reverse in the afternoon. It takes one of my co-workers 30 minutes to get from downtown Morristown on I-287 North to I-80 in the afternoon. I don't know what the pattern is north of I-80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 10,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Traffic will move better when the construction work is completed. Until then, consider this alternate route:
  • Kiel Avenue,
  • Kinnelon Road,
  • Powerville Road,
  • Rockaway Valley Road to Denville.
  • Then South on Route 53 to Morris Plains.
  • Then South on 202 through Morristown and on to Bernardsville.
(About 50 minutes.)

Reverse for the trip home. Route 53 can back up quite severely during rush hour going into Denville.

Any chance you can work flextime? What will your hours be?
Thanks for the alternate route, will give that a try!

No, no flextime unfortunately. Hours will be 8:30 to 5.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 10,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
Approx. 60,000 people commute into / out of Morristown each day. Since 287 is the primary interstate into town the prevailing traffic is into town in the morning and reverse in the afternoon. It takes one of my co-workers 30 minutes to get from downtown Morristown on I-287 North to I-80 in the afternoon. I don't know what the pattern is north of I-80.
So that's about 30 minutes for what looks like five miles?

Thanks for the info though, all very helpful

Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Traffic will move better when the construction work is completed. Until then, consider this alternate route:
  • Kiel Avenue,
  • Kinnelon Road,
  • Powerville Road,
(About 50 minutes.)

Reverse for the trip home. Route 53 can back up quite severely during rush hour going into Denville.

I'm not travelling on 287 these days, but it must be truly horrendous if an alternate using 53 & 202 actually saves any time.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I'm not travelling on 287 these days, but it must be truly horrendous if an alternate using 53 & 202 actually saves any time.
It is brutal. I am dying to know whether they are actually gonna finish with the construction soon, but there doesn't seem to be any updates.

I spend like 3-4 extra hours a week commuting then I did when I took the job in 2011. I would like my free time back.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Default Payback Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
It is brutal. I am dying to know whether they are actually gonna finish with the construction soon, but there doesn't seem to be any updates.
I spend like 3-4 extra hours a week commuting then I did when I took the job in 2011. I would like my free time back.
Yes, the pace of construction seems ridiculously slow.
It makes me wonder if Parsippany's mayor refused to endorse Christie for re-election?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:28 AM

585 posts, read 492,834 times
Quote:
  • Kiel Avenue,
  • Kinnelon Road,
  • Powerville Road,
(About 50 minutes.)

I'm not sure this is a good recommendation. I've taken this way traveling a few times and it is very tedious with multiple turns and traffic lights. Yes, you may be moving, but with the additional traffic lights and mileage I don't think it will make up for the lost time. Your best bet is to first make the commute on 287 giving yourself plenty of time and then make adjustments. Maybe this way turns out to be better, but I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey