Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Let me ask you

What do you think a suburb is?

When people in the urban ran out of room, they created the subURBAN so they could settle there.

So yes people from NYC came across the river and settled here.

Then where are we from? Are we all descendants of the Lenny Lenape?

When we talk to people in this areas of course we do not say we are from NYC. We need to be more specific.
Understood, but NJ'ans are not 'descendants' of NY'ers.

The government modeled suburban homes/districts in the 40s/50s/60s and people moved to them. This was the case with not only NYC but even old industrial cities like Newark, St. Louis, etc.

NJ has, without question, ties to NYC (and vice versa). However, the lines are drawn. NY wouldn't acknowledge Jersey as one of its own, and a lot of NJ'ers only acknowledge NY as our large neighbor (which isn't insignificant BTW).

It would be different if our cities came back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:43 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Central NJ has old small towns that were not considered as burbs until the 60's at least. Some are now calling that northern NJ too? The people who live there would disagree I can assure you.

I get the point in regard to much of Bergen County though. In the shadows sounds right for that area. I would say burb not borough though for most areas there.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Not everyone in NJ comes from Newark, Jersey City, Trenton, or Camden. We do have quite a few relatives of those areas on this board I think. My ancestors did not come from those towns including parents, grandparents.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Northeast NJ is the sixth borough, plain and simple. Anyone who disagress is either not from here, or really very old.

Northeast NJ's landscape is just as dense as the other boroughs. Our traffic is just as bad if not worse. We have ethnic enclaves here as well. We are just as diverse. We are basically an extension of NYC.

Our Accent is even an offshoot of the NY accent.

I have never met anyone from Bergen, Hudson, Essex, or Union county say they are from anywhere other than New York when talking to an out of stater. When we talk to each other we get into more specifics. The same goes for anyone in Westchester, rockland, and long island.

The suburban areas were created for one thing. For people in the Urban areas to move too. Our closest urban area with the largest population is NYC.

How much of what goes on in NYC economics affects what goes on in northeast NJ and vice versa.

I beg to differ with you.....I was born & raised in Jersey City and I have NEVER, EVER claimed to have been from NYC

Old 12-18-2007, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,819 times
NJ lost any identity years ago.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey