Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,340,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
New York should be grouped with the New England states because NY feels more like New England to me. Delaware and Maryland are both Mid-Atlantic States, not South Atlantic States. Delaware and Maryland has nothing in common with Georgia and Florida. DE and MD feels more like NJ and PA.
southern delaware feels more like south carolina than NJ. ever been? sure, wilmington is more like PA, but it ends just a bit south of there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM

882 posts, read 1,662,075 times
New Jersey was considered a Middle Colony, along with New York, PA, and Delaware, (sometimes Maryland too). I've never really considered New York to be separate from the Mid-Atlantic states, though I recognize that Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland share similar accents and architecture that are distinct from NY and North Jersey. I would argue neither NJ or NY could be considered New England, though of course many early towns in NJ were settled by New Englanders and have a similar feel to NE towns. If we do make distinctions, I'd say South Jersey would be Mid-Atlantic and North Jersey would be "Tri-State?" along with Connecticut, perhaps arguing that the New York metro area is so populous that it could be its own region. Broadly, it's all Northeast Corridor, which is good enough for me.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:44 AM

279 posts, read 458,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Those are the official designations by the Census Bureau; I don't really think it's up for debate.

It's absolutely up for debate. The Census Bureau splits the country up for administrative purposes........that map was never intended to be used as a tool in cultural geography.

I think South Jersey is mid-Atlantic. The culture there is similar to Delaware, Maryland, Southeast PA. But definitely not North Jersey.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,948,014 times
I agree with this definition of Mid-Atlantic states:

Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,897,317 times
It is possible for a state to be both mid-atlantic and northeastern. That is New Jersey (and New York and PA).

Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 PM

622 posts, read 942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It is possible for a state to be both mid-atlantic and northeastern. That is New Jersey (and New York and PA).
Delaware and Maryland are also both Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern. The Mid-Atlantic is a subregion of the Northeast. New Jersey has a lot in common with Pennsylvania, Delaware (sharing the Delaware River and the Delaware Bay with PA and DE) and Maryland (both NJ and MD among the richest states in the US and both having bad cities like Newark, Camden and Baltimore, etc.) Northwestern New Jersey feels like Northeastern Pennsylvania with mountains and hills, Northeastern New Jersey feels like NYC and Long Island (both also considered Mid-Atlantic, Northern New York State could be made as part of New England) with built up areas and Southern New Jersey feels like Delaware and Eastern Maryland with beaches and farms.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 06-17-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 PM

18,420 posts, read 15,134,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
It's absolutely up for debate. The Census Bureau splits the country up for administrative purposes........that map was never intended to be used as a tool in cultural geography.

I think South Jersey is mid-Atlantic. The culture there is similar to Delaware, Maryland, Southeast PA. But definitely not North Jersey.
Eastern Long Island looks and feels lot like New England. They are culturally similar and even the weather patterns are shared. When I want to know what the weather will be like, I have to listen to CT or Boston weather stations, not NYC stations. But it doesn't make it New England. We can say this place is like that place and that place is like the other place, but it doesn't change the fact that boundaries have been defined a long time ago. You can say that Arizona is part of New Mexico because they have many similarities, but they are 2 different states. The question wasn't "Is NJ culturally like a Mid-Atlantic state?" It is "Is NJ considered a Mid-Atlantic state?" And it absolutely, undeniably IS.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,134,542 times
Just recently, I was wondering if New Jersey was considered a "Northeast" or "Middle Atlantic" state, because I have heard it described both ways.

Apparently, Wikipedia does too, or are they just hedging their bets?

Quote:

New Jersey is a state in the Northeastern and Middle Atlantic regions of the United States.

New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly, if the Mason-Dixon line was extended further east, parts of South Jersey would be below the Mason-Dixon line.

Quote:

The Mason-Dixon line does not technically run through New Jersey, but if the border between Pennsylvania and Maryland were extended due east, it would run south of Penns Grove, north of Hammonton and just below Barnegat.

52 things every New Jerseyan must know

This might be because New Jersey had a complicated history with slavery:

Quote:

Also lying north and east of the boundary was New Jersey, where slavery was formally abolished in 1846, but former slaves continued to be "apprenticed" to their masters until the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in 1865.

Mason-Dixon Line

Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,494,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post

I think the real question is: "why does it matter"?

I'm originally from New Jersey and it's always been considered a Mid-Atlantic state.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,941,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Interestingly, if the Mason-Dixon line was extended further east, parts of South Jersey would be below the Mason-Dixon line.
It's actually not that interesting. The line was originally established to resolve a border dispute between Pennsylvania and Maryland. Only later did it become associated with the North/South divide and slavery. Maryland also never seceded or joined the Confederacy, so the significance of the line itself is overblown to begin with. The only people who find it "interesting" that if the line were extended east it would have bisected NJ are the people who fly Confederate flags from the back of their pickups and claim it's because they're proud of their "Southern Heritage," of which they have none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey