Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

There are a few places in Camden (e.g. the Nipper building) where people can live reasonably safely, but I don't know of any near the medical school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmedstudent17 View Post
Now do you think I should live in one of those surrounding areas and drive in or take the PATCO? I feel like both options will be a bit pricey instead of just finding a place right next to the school.
If you live outside of Camden, you're either going to pay for the train or gas and parking. If you live near school, you'll be driving for just about everything else. If you live in Camden, will you park on the street or pay to park in a lot? I guess you'll have to crunch some numbers.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:47 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,635 times
Quote:
Yeah I posted this in the wrong thread accidentally and didn't know how to move it. I meant Camden, NJ. My sincere apologies. If anyone knows how or can move it I would appreciate it.
Camden is really as bad as they say. Do they have onsite housing in the hospitals? I would not feel comfortable walking around or even driving for that matter.

Lived in jersey city for the last 10 years, it's like disneyland compared to camden.

I hope the hospital give you hazard pay because you are literally deploying into a war zone.

Good luck and get life insurance.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
I will talk to the school about this. I know they're going to give me access soon to a group of rentals available and I have also heard many students live in the Victor lofts which are very nice but also quite expensive (>$1000 per month) or slightly less for a 2 person. I just feel like that is a bit exorbitant when I consider the tuition I will be paying for med school to begin with. Thanks for looking into it.
As Camden goes, Victor Lofts may be your best bet. As rents go for New Jersey, $1,000/month is quite reasonable.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:21 PM

79 posts, read 119,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
Camden is really as bad as they say. Do they have onsite housing in the hospitals? I would not feel comfortable walking around or even driving for that matter.

Lived in jersey city for the last 10 years, it's like disneyland compared to camden.

I hope the hospital give you hazard pay because you are literally deploying into a war zone.

Good luck and get life insurance.
That's because you live in Newport . But yea Camden is a lot worse than JC, although a lot of JC is also the pits.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 15,848 times
I'm going to go visit with my parents. I think it might be better to live near the school in Camden my first 2 years since that is when the work load is high.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Yeah that is what I am trying to do. I would like to live with one or many two other people.
You can try sicklerville BUT then your commute would be $4.50 or whatever NJT's monthly bus fare is for the 551 bus from avandale to Camden. The same pass would work on riverline and other NJT buses like the 400 which has a very long late night service span. However 551 is 24/7 like the PATCO and goes non-stop to Camden from avandale P&R you can use 400 in sicklerville to the 551 at avandale or if you are out late if you're unlucky prepare to walk. I know I have been there done that. Living in a town off PATCO would give you more flexibility with being up till 3 am if you need to. I do have a warning the Riverline is not 24/7 and cuts off at 9 pm on weekdays or to be exact sun to Friday so the PATCO towns win hands down. If you choose so sicklerville keep in mind the 400 bus is very frequent and the 551 bus can even take you to Atlantic city at any time you wish literally. And during the summer a direct bus to cape may called 316 runs from avandale as well without transferring in AC to the 552 I heard mixed opinions about AC. Plus 551 is more frequent than the train to AC in case you want to blow $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey