Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM

49 posts, read 85,137 times

Advertisements

Do any of you know street language?

What does the word, 'whip' mean?

Car.

You have to know street language to understand the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:11 AM

111 posts, read 181,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if i did think it was right for the state to murder someone, I would agree that this guy is a prime candidate for a good person to murder. I'm just uncomfortable with my tax dollars going to the sanctioned killing of a person. I also think rotting in a max-security prison, with limited activity and zero freedom, is a far worse punishment than giving him the easy way out with our tax dollars.

and it is quite expensive, given the controls we have in place to ensure we don't execute an innocent person.
There's a difference between 'murder' and 'killing someone'. Killing someone like a soldier in war or an execution is justified. Murder is a unjustified/wrongful killing of someone.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
There's a difference between 'murder' and 'killing someone'. Killing someone like a soldier in war or an execution is justified. Murder is a unjustified/wrongful killing of someone.
ok. you can reword it however you'd like. A soldier in war where one is defending oneself, I can be ok with. But I would never call an execution justified. Just because people who hold the power carry out a killing doesn't make it any more moral than someone who did it for an iPhone. Not to me at least.

Remember - state execution is revenge.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The overall problem is that our "justice" system inherently favors the criminal. "Innocent until proven guilty" pretty much sums that up. I read on NJ.com earlier today that one of the perpetrators in this case had committed a robbery 2 weeks earlier and was out on $50k bail. So you commit a violent crime but as long as you pay your deposit you can go on your merry way. Then you have people being released from jail early due to "good behavior" and any other excuse you can think of, so they get released and go back committing the same crimes over and over again. Needless to say it's a broken system.
If i recall correctly, the USA doesn't have an issue with jailing too few people these days.....

And what would you rather? Guilty til proven innocent? You do realize what country you live in, right?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I spent a certain percentage of my career within the corrections system, a lot more dealing with it indirectly. Many inmates adapt well to the institution. It's not Hogan's heroes, but some certainly enjoy themselves.
Ronell Wilson, convicted NY cop killer, impregnates prison guard in plot to save own life, report says - CBS News

Tavon White: Baltimore Inmate Who Impregnated 4 Guards Pleads Guilty | News One
yep. and:

Report reveals

i'd still rather be free in society that locked up in a prison. but, like i said - try it out for yourself. (being in power at a prison is not the same as being locked up in one either).

Old 08-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Williams and Villagran are from West Orange; one lives in the apartments where the body was found. The shooter (Brown) was from East Orange, but he's a psychopath no matter what; had he grown up super-rich he'd probably be a serial killer instead of a carjacker. The murderer of the Newark girl was from Irvington.
I thought the shooter was from Seattle? Or did he live in NJ and then go out to Seattle?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
How does someone get probation for raping a 6 year old girl? If our justice system worked, Tevlin would still be alive. Accused Trigger Man in Livingston Teen's Slaying Linked to Alleged Crime Spree - Police & Fire - Livingston, New Jersey | Patch
Maybe he was deemed as not being able to "fare well in prison" like this guy:
DuPont heir Robert H. Richards IV gets probation for raping his daughter: Judge says he “will not fare well” in prison.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Drugs?
Most likely as the thugs probably needed to get cash for drugs...at least that's what statistics says.

It is astounding that these thugs lived free and maybe heard the news of other murders and saww the saddness or experienced friends getting killed. How is it possible these scummers could not be at least prompted to think about what they were about to do.

Violence is downstream from gangs and drugs. Violence is downstream from gangs and drugs. Violence is downstream from gangs and drugs.

Education alone will not accomplish anything without mentoring, family and community involvement, so when a subsequent poster is sure to suggest throwing more money for education, consider that solution has been tried in spades with neglible results. Zuckerberg donating 100 muilion $$ to newark edu should make that city a center of excellence for edu!!! It is like making an appple pie sans apples. Edu must be combined in a recipe with other elements for it to matter.

All kids are not equal in regard to motivation, desire and behavior. To keep a 19th century public school policy that says all kids must get the same opportunity, and all kids are equal, no longer applies. You cannot teach or learn with a mix of criminals and serious students in the same classroom or school building. Fly in the face of social justice and segregate the kids into different schools with appropriately trained teachers to ensure ALL kids get an honest attempt at an education. Move kids around if progress warrants. Unlike today if a kid gets targeted and put in with the thugs of tomorrow it is almost impossible to get the kid mainstreamed again.

Laws are ineffective in controlling the violence. To pass more laws is to do nothing. The law was never intended, much as public edu, to exist in isolation of peer, family, community and religious pressure.

The law is useless as a stand alone means to control social behavior. Unfortunately that is the way the country is going.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What we do know, is that they allowed him to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Sometimes I think it is appropriate to offer to plead down. When someone rapes a 6 year old, all lesser charges should be off the table. That is what's broken about our justice system.
maybe their evidence against him wasn't strong enough to go to trial, so the prosecutor took what he believed he could get? like the other poster said - we really don't know, do we?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:59 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Most likely as the thugs probably needed to get cash for drugs...at least that's what statistics says.

It is astounding that these thugs lived free and maybe heard the news of other murders and saww the saddness or experienced friends getting killed. How is it possible these scummers could not be at least prompted to think about what they were about to do.

Violence is downstream from gangs and drugs. Violence is downstream from gangs and drugs. Violence is downstream from gangs and drugs.

Education alone will not accomplish anything without mentoring, family and community involvement, so when a subsequent poster is sure to suggest throwing more money for education, consider that solution has been tried in spades with neglible results. Zuckerberg donating 100 muilion $$ to newark edu should make that city a center of excellence for edu!!! It is like making an appple pie sans apples. Edu must be combined in a recipe with other elements for it to matter.

All kids are not equal in regard to motivation, desire and behavior. To keep a 19th century public school policy that says all kids must get the same opportunity, and all kids are equal, no longer applies. You cannot teach or learn with a mix of criminals and serious students in the same classroom or school building. Fly in the face of social justice and segregate the kids into different schools with appropriately trained teachers to ensure ALL kids get an honest attempt at an education. Move kids around if progress warrants. Unlike today if a kid gets targeted and put in with the thugs of tomorrow it is almost impossible to get the kid mainstreamed again.

Laws are ineffective in controlling the violence. To pass more laws is to do nothing. The law was never intended, much as public edu, to exist in isolation of peer, family, community and religious pressure.

The law is useless as a stand alone means to control social behavior. Unfortunately that is the way the country is going.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey