Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:18 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,992,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, I oppose it from an ethical standpoint. I only offer the cost argument to people who throw out the "let's save tax dollars" argument. i also like how we go to extreme measures to make the death penalty appear humane. if we're gonna do it, just kill the person. stop it with the theatrics to try and make people more comfortable with the idea of killing someone. (we paralyze them, for instance, so they don't thrash all over the table when they get the lethal dose).
Agreed, and I didn't mean to single you out. Whatever a person's view on this, even if their stance costs more, they should be willing to absorb that cost to do what they believe is the right/moral thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I just wonder why they bundled the 2 murders together. They weren't even related.

http://http://thealternativepress.com/articles/muhammed-ali-brown-eric-williams-and-jeremy-vill
I guess because, even though the 2 tragedies are unrelated, they share many similarities.

Brendan Tevlin was a college student & Cheyanne Bond was college bound.

Both were honor students.

Both were murdered just days apart from each other.

Both murders occurred in Essex County.

Both victims were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Both were ambushed and summarily executed; Brendan Tevlin was shot 8 times at close range, and Cheyanne Bond was ordered to her knees and shot in the back of the head.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
West Orange family is devastated by this vile crime & want as little publicity as possible.
Yeah, a couple days ago I watched this story break on News 12 NJ, and they made it a point to emphasize, that the Tevlin family was emphasizing, that Brendan Tevlin was an innocent victim who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. They really made a point to emphasize that. I am thinking that that is in response to all the public speculation (such as in this thread) that 'drugs' were involved. I can't imagine how hurtful that must have been to them.

Also, there was so much emphasis on the word 'TARGETED' early on...that Tevlin was 'targeted'. And, again, I still don't understand why the media/investigators were emphasizing that Tevlin was 'targeted'.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Even if the 3 suspects in the Tevlin case deliberately set out that night to roam the streets of Essex County to find an easy target to carjack...Tevlin was still very, very randomly killed. If Tevlin had gone to a different friend's house to play video games, if Tevlin had left his friend's house 15 minutes earlier or 15 minutes later, if Tevlin had chosen a different route to drive home...he may never have crossed paths with Ali Muhammad Brown, Eric Williams and Jeremy Villigran.

But we do not even know if Brown, Williams and Villigran deliberately planned to carjack anyone that night. They could have just been driving around and randomly happened upon Tevlin at that intersection, and decided to rob him on the spur of the moment (which is even scarier). Considering that Williams and Villigran scampered off after Brown fired at Tevlin...they didn't wait for Brown to get back into the car they were driving...they didn't go pick Brown up after he abandoned Tevlin's jeep at the apartment complex...they didn't meet up with Brown later. It sounds to me like none of it was planned at all. Again, this is even scarier to me. (Also, I agree with bradykp that while Brown is a cold blooded murderer, Williams & Villigran seem like they were in it just for the robbery...I don't think they saw it coming that Brown would fire 10 shots into the Jeep.)

Having said that, though...I have read some of the backstory on Ali Muhammad Brown. He definitely targeted his 2 victims in Seattle (he lured them via a social networking site for gay men). He killed them because they were gay, so that was a targeted hate crime. Some of what I'm reading is saying that he killed them because they were both gay and Muslim. Brown is being described in some stories as a Muslim extremist, which may or may not be true. But there is the possibility that he targeted Tevlin because he is a white kid of affluence. But the 'Muslim extremist' angle is speculation until a credible source officially verifies it. It's possible he's just nuts. Either a psycopath or sociopath. And a transient living in a tent, no less.

Whatever the case may be, though, Ali Muhammad Brown is a good candidate for the death penalty. I'm not gung ho about capital punishment either, but if ever there was a good candidate, Brown is one. He is a repeat wanton murderer, not to mention sex offender (accused of raping a 6 year-old). He is a danger to society and needs to be put down. The other two in this case (Williams & Villigran), not so much. I am a cynic who does not believe that mere jail time will do anything to turn them around, but I don't think they deserve the death penalty in the same way that Brown does.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM

As for Cheyanne Bond's killer Andre Fields...I would not shed a tear if they stuck a needle in that piece of garbage. That he would order a 17 year-old girl to her knees and shoot her in the back of the head for a goddamned iPhone...SMDH. This is a girl who didn't exactly have it easy, either. Her mother died when she was 7, her father was not in the picture, and she was living with a guardian. Yet she persevered and was heading off to nursing school. Her family is now using the money they scraped together to send her to nursing school, to pay for her funeral. I hope they find the 2nd assailant. That these two would do something so brazen...it's at least partly because they were confident they'd get away with it. Or that the consequences of getting caught wouldn't be a big deal. Well, let's make it a big deal. Cheyanne Bond did not deserve to be ordered to her knees and shot in the back of the head.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,230,469 times
I am just SICK of thugs murdering innocent's at this point . And I am also annoyed with our criminal justice system which allows for this to happen again and again.

Kill them in a way which strikes fear in thugs and gangs.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,429,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Even if the 3 suspects in the Tevlin case deliberately set out that night to roam the streets of Essex County to find an easy target to carjack...Tevlin was still very, very randomly killed. If Tevlin had gone to a different friend's house to play video games, if Tevlin had left his friend's house 15 minutes earlier or 15 minutes later, if Tevlin had chosen a different route to drive home...he may never have crossed paths with Ali Muhammad Brown, Eric Williams and Jeremy Villigran.

But we do not even know if Brown, Williams and Villigran deliberately planned to carjack anyone that night. They could have just been driving around and randomly happened upon Tevlin at that intersection, and decided to rob him on the spur of the moment (which is even scarier). Considering that Williams and Villigran scampered off after Brown fired at Tevlin...they didn't wait for Brown to get back into the car they were driving...they didn't go pick Brown up after he abandoned Tevlin's jeep at the apartment complex...they didn't meet up with Brown later. It sounds to me like none of it was planned at all. Again, this is even scarier to me. (Also, I agree with bradykp that while Brown is a cold blooded murderer, Williams & Villigran seem like they were in it just for the robbery...I don't think they saw it coming that Brown would fire 10 shots into the Jeep.)

Having said that, though...I have read some of the backstory on Ali Muhammad Brown. He definitely targeted his 2 victims in Seattle (he lured them via a social networking site for gay men). He killed them because they were gay, so that was a targeted hate crime. Some of what I'm reading is saying that he killed them because they were both gay and Muslim. Brown is being described in some stories as a Muslim extremist, which may or may not be true. But there is the possibility that he targeted Tevlin because he is a white kid of affluence. But the 'Muslim extremist' angle is speculation until a credible source officially verifies it. It's possible he's just nuts. Either a psycopath or sociopath. And a transient living in a tent, no less.

Whatever the case may be, though, Ali Muhammad Brown is a good candidate for the death penalty. I'm not gung ho about capital punishment either, but if ever there was a good candidate, Brown is one. He is a repeat wanton murderer, not to mention sex offender (accused of raping a 6 year-old). He is a danger to society and needs to be put down. The other two in this case (Williams & Villigran), not so much. I am a cynic who does not believe that mere jail time will do anything to turn them around, but I don't think they deserve the death penalty in the same way that Brown does.
I think the speculation about the 'extremist' came from the Feds? didn't it? I have to say, and you summed it up nicely, despite all of my misgivings about the death pently - if you wanted to convince me of a time where it was ok, this guy is the prime argument. he specifically found gay men in seattle to meet up with for the sole purpose of killing them. the sex offender accusations, he carjacked someone in Point Pleasant, and then, during a supposed 'robbery' in what sounds like a crime of opportunity (driving along, see a white "WASPy" kid driving, maybe nicely dressed (i went to a 'Prep' school and if he dressed like many of us did at that age, you just look a certain way), stopped at a red light in a poorly lit area with not a lot around you...and he just opens fire on the kid. Something is clearly not properly wired in that head.

as for the other murder - i didn't realize she was "ordered to her knees" and shot in the back of the head. horrifying.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,429,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am just SICK of thugs murdering innocent's at this point . And I am also annoyed with our criminal justice system which allows for this to happen again and again.

Kill them in a way which strikes fear in thugs and gangs.
something tells me gang members don't have an immense fear of being killed. especially not by the authorites.

do you imagine in your head that people who walk around and participate in drive by shootings have a conscious thought about a fear of getting killed by someone (let alone, by the state?)?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:31 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,230,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
something tells me gang members don't have an immense fear of being killed. especially not by the authorites.

do you imagine in your head that people who walk around and participate in drive by shootings have a conscious thought about a fear of getting killed by someone (let alone, by the state?)?
Then what can we do to stop senseless murders by thugs.

Relax concealed carry laws ? Don't think that's going to happen up here.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,163,435 times
The overall problem is that our "justice" system inherently favors the criminal. "Innocent until proven guilty" pretty much sums that up. I read on NJ.com earlier today that one of the perpetrators in this case had committed a robbery 2 weeks earlier and was out on $50k bail. So you commit a violent crime but as long as you pay your deposit you can go on your merry way. Then you have people being released from jail early due to "good behavior" and any other excuse you can think of, so they get released and go back committing the same crimes over and over again. Needless to say it's a broken system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey