Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 03:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times

Advertisements

I really hate the term "Benny." What makes shore residents so special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:25 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Maybe the rest of NJ should come up with a derogatory sounding term for the shore residents, and then assign some negative stereotypes to them. Maybe it could catch on, like "bennys" did.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maybe the rest of NJ should come up with a derogatory sounding term for the shore residents, and then assign some negative stereotypes to them. Maybe it could catch on, like "bennys" did.
What about "people too stupid to understand how tourism-based economies work?" Might be a little too clunky, though.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
What about "people too stupid to understand how tourism-based economies work?" Might be a little too clunky, though.
or "idiots that bite the hand that feeds them"? (still too clunky, I know)

Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
A good acronym would fix the clunkiness.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:00 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Look, bennys are a part of life, I am completely accustomed to them.

That does not mean they shouldn't have to pay for beach badges. Beach badges make those who use the beach services (life guards, expecting beach rakes, etc) pay for it. I am completely fine with it. What I am not ok with, is making the expense of providing ALL of the beach services come from the property taxes of locals. The current system does not do that, what the OP advocates is to shift the cost on to the tax payer rather than the beach goer.

And no I do not want any more summer businesses here and as an oceanographer I also do not want any more development along beaches because it is foolish to build on an inherently transient feature.
Imagine in my example if Paramus made every parking space $5/hour. Great revenue generator but it would hurt business. It may come to a point with badges, ripoff food & parking where the Jersey shore geniuses will drive people away. AC has been a ripoff for years and look at how they're doing.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I live by the beach for the last 20 years or so. Most of the "jerks" that use the word "bennies" are the dum locals that lived here all their life and most likely couldn't find North Jersey. I love when the summer tourists come down and liven the place up. These dopes even have bumper stickers on their cars" Bennies go home" or the best one says "local". If I see either one on a car first thing comes to mind is a toothless, dopey, jerk. If it wasn't for north jersey and west jersey and the fed. gubmint the shore area would be abandoned waterlogged shacks after sandy. So come on down, enjoy, have a great time and last but not least bring lots of money to support the local business. The same could be said of snowbirds when they go to florida in the winter.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Imagine in my example if Paramus made every parking space $5/hour. Great revenue generator but it would hurt business. It may come to a point with badges, ripoff food & parking where the Jersey shore geniuses will drive people away. AC has been a ripoff for years and look at how they're doing.
True. Supply and demand at work. Certainly it is in their favor that the supply of near-by beaches is relatively scarce given the most densely populated State.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
True. Supply and demand at work. Certainly itg is in their favor that the supply of near-by beaches is relatively scarce given the most densely populated State.
Get me an east coast bullet train and I'll bypass our half-ass, overpriced beaches and be in Ocean City, MD in an hour and a half.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I live by the beach for the last 20 years or so. Most of the "jerks" that use the word "bennies" are the dum locals that lived here all their life and most likely couldn't find North Jersey. I love when the summer tourists come down and liven the place up. These dopes even have bumper stickers on their cars" Bennies go home" or the best one says "local". If I see either one on a car first thing comes to mind is a toothless, dopey, jerk. If it wasn't for north jersey and west jersey and the fed. gubmint the shore area would be abandoned waterlogged shacks after sandy. So come on down, enjoy, have a great time and last but not least bring lots of money to support the local business. The same could be said of snowbirds when they go to florida in the winter.
Thank you! I agree with everything you said. The "Benny go home" and "local" stickers bother me too. Again, you're so special because...?? You need to point out to the whole area that you live in a beach town for what reason? I doubt anyone cares, and seeing as many in NJ have 2 homes, one in North Jersey and one on a barrier island (my town is huge on this) I really doubt anyone cares. Those with 2 homes probably laugh at those touting "local" on their cars.

I have some family in Point Pleasant Beach guilty of this but they live in a home on route 35 so I'm sure the traffic really gets to them in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey