Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 PM

814 posts, read 2,033,764 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else find it disturbing that so many homeowners who freely chose not to insure their homes with the FEMA backed NFIP (national flood insurance policy) still received money from FEMA when they never ever put any money into the NFIP by paying yearly premiums. I for one feel that if you live at or near tidal water and choose not to carry flood insurance then you should have to foot your repair bills not the taxpayer regardless if its your primary or secondary home. Just because its not required does not mean you can't purchase flood insurance. if you choose not to buy flood insurance you should be left to handle your losses not the taxpayers who don't even own homes without any chance of flood damage. I also find it disturbing that NFIP premiums have also been unfairly subsidized by taxpayers for decades because the realistic premium cost would be too high for the average homeowner to afford. You would have to be very naive to think that your house stood no chance of being damaged/flooded by a storm. Then when fema gives you free money ( aka a grant) you whine because now you have to pay a big premium to cover your losses that have already occurred and also cover your home when the next hurricane/storm makes landfall and again causes damages to your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,408,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
Does anyone else find it disturbing that so many homeowners who freely chose not to insure their homes with the FEMA backed NFIP (national flood insurance policy) still received money from FEMA when they never ever put any money into the NFIP by paying yearly premiums. I for one feel that if you live at or near tidal water and choose not to carry flood insurance then you should have to foot your repair bills not the taxpayer regardless if its your primary or secondary home. Just because its not required does not mean you can't purchase flood insurance. if you choose not to buy flood insurance you should be left to handle your losses not the taxpayers who don't even own homes without any chance of flood damage. I also find it disturbing that NFIP premiums have also been unfairly subsidized by taxpayers for decades because the realistic premium cost would be too high for the average homeowner to afford. You would have to be very naive to think that your house stood no chance of being damaged/flooded by a storm. Then when fema gives you free money ( aka a grant) you whine because now you have to pay a big premium to cover your losses that have already occurred and also cover your home when the next hurricane/storm makes landfall and again causes damages to your home.

I am not whining for me. For the future homeowner even 100 years from now who buys my home and could get screwed.

The Department of Homeland Security is in charge of FEMA and NFIP. FEMA grants are tax payerfunded and NFIP is funding by flood insurance payments.

FEMA grants subsidizes NFIP big time. Why the FEMA grant is a low figure which if home insured by NFIP would be liable for more. Than the FEMA grant person has to buy flood insurance after flood and lighting rarely hits twice and NFIP who paid nothing out to someone like me collects my insurance premiums and gives it to others.

Other misconception is somehow my payment was paid by others. I had a 30K estimated tax payment due a few weeks after Sandy which basically ment Uncle same gave me a check for around 30K and a few weeks later I wrote them a check for 30K.

FEMA is a GREAT BUSINESS MODEL. I would have love to personally cut checks for 30K to everyone in Katrina to have a cash flow of 3K a years forever to the dawn of time and if folks stop sending me checks I demand whole 30K back but dont refund the 3k a year they keep sending me.

Europe is considering making Flood Insurance Mandatory for EVERYONE who owns a home regardless of location. That way the costs will be very very low. If you want we can do that here.

FEMA Is also weird as if FORCES everyone to apply. Insured or not insured. My property tax deduction due to sandy was based on FEMA, chariities and stuff require a FEMA number. Even my Macys and Bed Bath and Beyond Sandy Discounts required a FEMA number. I waived my stupid FEMA number all over.

Some nice ladies had hot donated dunkng dunuts coffee that came by one day when I was gutting house and once again they were working off FEMA information.

I find it resentful that FAT CHRIS CHRISTIE had tax payer paid commercials out of Disaster funds to show his bloated butt on beach all summer. Why did I have to pay for that? Who wants to visit a beach that Chris Chrities butt was on the sand.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:22 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Doesn't anyone find it curious during the week a lot of these Benny haters clog the Parkway north for their $$$$ jobs in NORTH JERSEY? Maybe we need a term for these locals who have zero problems infesting North Jersey during the week for the money (Jersey Man and MQ excluded )
Hahaha. I'm not a Benny hater--spent my first 52 years in Bergen and Passaic Counties. Just couldn't afford to stay there!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,440,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
We're driving up from South Carolina next week to visit family and my sister said that beach tags are now $10, per person. How is it constitutionally legal to charge people to use the beach? We have gorgeous beaches here in SC; Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah, etc. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Greece, Great Barrier Reef, Jamaica, Playa Del Carmen, South Beach, etc. and none of these amazing beaches cost a single cent, yet, NJ charges people to use them. I don't understand how this is legal. Ok, rant over.
I'm not a beach person but I do know that the official season for SC beaches is about twice as long as in NJ. That's twice as long to collect hotel taxes in quantity. Myrtle & Charleston are the preferred beaches for people in Charlotte because they are closer than the NC beaches, but it's still 3 or 4 hours to get there. That means that the largest city between Philadelphia & the big cities in Florida is providing a lot of overnight guests & the accompanying tax for the room. If NC gets 74 completely converted to freeway quality, SC will lose a lot of taxes.

People on the Charlotte board complain about how trashy Myrtle is.

As to your comments about toll roads. . .if you're in the Upstate, what do you call that segment of I 85 near Greenville that charges you to drive on it?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,887,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not a beach person but I do know that the official season for SC beaches is about twice as long as in NJ. That's twice as long to collect hotel taxes in quantity. Myrtle & Charleston are the preferred beaches for people in Charlotte because they are closer than the NC beaches, but it's still 3 or 4 hours to get there. That means that the largest city between Philadelphia & the big cities in Florida is providing a lot of overnight guests & the accompanying tax for the room. If NC gets 74 completely converted to freeway quality, SC will lose a lot of taxes.

People on the Charlotte board complain about how trashy Myrtle is.

As to your comments about toll roads. . .if you're in the Upstate, what do you call that segment of I 85 near Greenville that charges you to drive on it?
Adding to the point about how long NJ residents can use their beaches, beaches are free between Labor Day and Memorial Day, save for a few weekends leading up to or after those holidays in some cases. Only in the summer do we need to pay to get on. Beaches are beautiful in the so called "off season," possibly better than the summer for a few reasons, and they're free to everyone. There won't be lifeguards, but you are free to pretty much use the beach as you wish, even in a snowstorm if you really want. You can usually bring your dogs on as well in the off season.

The OP must have been trolling, as I suspected, as he/she mysteriously hasn't been spotted on this thread since its beginning…

Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,440,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Adding to the point about how long NJ residents can use their beaches, beaches are free between Labor Day and Memorial Day, save for a few weekends leading up to or after those holidays in some cases. Only in the summer do we need to pay to get on. Beaches are beautiful in the so called "off season," possibly better than the summer for a few reasons, and they're free to everyone. There won't be lifeguards, but you are free to pretty much use the beach as you wish, even in a snowstorm if you really want. You can usually bring your dogs on as well in the off season.

The OP must have been trolling, as I suspected, as he/she mysteriously hasn't been spotted on this thread since its beginning…
I really don't know where she's coming from. Didn't make a bit of sense to me. It also should be plain & clear to the OP that SC doesn't get anywhere near the wear & tear as the Outer Banks & the Jersey shore when the storms go up the coast.

In NC everybody pays for the coastal damage. It's worked into everything including house insurance. Jersey uses a user fee for 3 months of the year.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,635,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I really hate the term "Benny." What makes shore residents so special?
Locals who live in tourist destinations always have names for the tourists, bennys, shoobies, haole, and so on. It is what it is.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maybe the rest of NJ should come up with a derogatory sounding term for the shore residents, and then assign some negative stereotypes to them. Maybe it could catch on, like "bennys" did.
You mean like "piney"? It happens, eh.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM

44,912 posts, read 59,905,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Locals who live in tourist destinations always have names for the tourists, bennys, shoobies, haole, and so on. It is what it is.

We just call them dumbasses down here.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Imagine in my example if Paramus made every parking space $5/hour. Great revenue generator but it would hurt business. It may come to a point with badges, ripoff food & parking where the Jersey shore geniuses will drive people away. AC has been a ripoff for years and look at how they're doing.
The tourists who come to my town, are primarily very nice, non "ripoff food" consuming families. Most rentals come with parking. Very little beach "business" here, and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less if those businesses disappeared.

And no, I am not supported by tourist dollars and neither is anyone in my family.

This may come as a news flash but not all the people who are from beach areas rely on tourist money. Sure maybe a handful of towns rely on that money but the typical middle class towns, Manasquan, Spring Lake, Avon, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey