Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 03:27 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times

Advertisements

BONZAI PIPELINE....NO ONE BANNED FROM SURFING OR BODYBOARDING. LIFEGUARD PROTECTED

Here's a guy boogie boarding who knows what he's doing at pipeline

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's some NJ hurricane swell for comparison where I've SEEN them banning everyone at belmar.
This is hurricane bertha for example. If you know what you're doing and have a bodyboard with fins on your feet or a surfboard it's absurd to ban people and ARREST them. NANNY STATE! Use common sense. These waves are nothing compared to hawaii. Get real. Might as well ban surfing since it's too dangerous. Hell they banned bodyboarding/boogie boarding at rockaway last year so what the hell.
NEW JERSEY HURRICANE SWELL

Last edited by mikelizard860; 05-30-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 03:36 PM

California!

Pipeline(the pictures I posted are way above average and HUGE surf conditions from major storms sending in ground swell) is a dangerous surf spot and still they allow people out.

This nanny state bans people when the waves aren't even dangerous for people who know what they're doing. Over reaction. Might as well ban water sports. What's next. Banning skiing since someone might run into a tree? You do what you can to reduce risk, but this is a FREE country and I don't like the way this is becoming a nanny state. It's disgusting. Life has risk. If you want to reduce ocean deaths increase number of days lifeguards patrol. You don't ban people from the water every single day in sept/oct/may. Absurd.

Nj has fun VERY challenging surf when a hurricane is offshore or a good swell from a nor'easter. Much safer than life threating surf in hawaii at places like hawaii, but still really challenging! It's what surfers and experienced bodyboarders wait for. It's a lake most of the time. I wouldn't go near pipeline, but it's a free country! And those guys have every right to charge that!

Old 05-30-2015, 03:55 PM

And just to be clear, when a hurricane is actually hitting the beach(ie 75mph winds in the middle of sandy) the waves are totally out of control and not surfable. Only a complete kook who doesn't know what he's doing tries to surf in that. You need CLEAN ground swell. I know you have no idea what "clean" waves are since you don't surf G1 or know the first thing about it. Many beach managers in NJ don't know either.

During ACTUAL clean ground swell from a offshore hurricane that's spinning the atlantic, as you know, many nj towns ban surfing. It's laughable. That's when the surfing is the best.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:04 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
That figure is nonsense.

They must be considering an "unguarded" beach as a beach that NEVER has lifeguards.

Google "drowning new jersey beach"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"http://abclocal.go.com/story?section=news/local&id=8737051"

"It was about a week after the bodies of two victims were recovered at the Jersey shore, the last of five drowning victims so far this year. They ranged from a 10-year-old swimming with his family in Atlantic City to a 24-year-old Kenyan who died as four others he was swimming with were rescued from a rip current in Bradley Beach.

Authorities say all five deaths had one thing in common: They occurred when no lifeguards were on duty."

"After-hours drownings have long been a problem at the Jersey shore, but the situation is particularly bad so far this year. Lifeguards and shore mayors agree there are no easy or cheap solutions.

Joe Bongiovanni, Asbury Park's beach safety supervisor, says people will keep dying at the shore without some serious deterrents. He wants New Jersey to pass a law imposing stiff fines for anyone caught swimming after lifeguards have gone home. He made the suggestion the day authorities recovered the body of Chazmin Mills of Irvington, who vanished in the surf as his younger sister was saved by rescuers who had raced back to the beach shortly after it had closed for the day."

"Eight Have Drowned Since Wednesdsay"
Eight Have Drowned Since Wednesdsay - SouthJersey.com

This is from 2012
"They are among at least 22 people who have drowned in New Jersey since the beginning of June, the majority under the age of 25. Many of them swam on unguarded beaches or unchecked riverfronts, or snuck away from parental supervision, a grim reminder that the seemingly innocent decision to seek refreshment from the blistering summer sun can have dire consequences, emergency officials say. And the numbers each summer are sadly consistent, raising questions about whether enough is being done to prevent these tragedies"

Drowning tragedies tell a cautionary tale of summer | NJ.com

I can find a TON of artcles discussing these drowning deaths. Should I post more or has my point been made?
I didn't think we were discussing lakes, rivers, streams, floods, pools or bathtubs.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't think we were discussing lakes, rivers, streams, floods, pools or bathtubs.
Sure, but plenty were beaches that I listed

Here's some beach drownings.

2 drownings in 2012
2 swimmers drown in rip currents off NJ shore - U.S. News

"Two swimmers who vanished in rip currents off the New Jersey shore were found drowned Thursday.
Both incidents occurred at beaches where no lifeguards were on duty.
Garrett Giberson, public information officer for the Asbury Park fire department, told NJ.com, website of the Star-Ledger newspaper. “Basically the bottom line is this: When lifeguards are off duty, stay out of the water. Rip tides are dangerous and obviously deadly. It's not worth your life."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, from 2012

"WILDWOOD, N.J. (CBS) – Every evening at 5:30 in Wildwood, swimmers are told to get out of the water.
Lifeguards pull their stands out of the surf and the beach patrol calls it a day and heads home.
Moments later though, people head back into the water. It’s a ritual that has proven fatal at the shore this summer.
Five people have drowned off of a Jersey beach this season, including 10-year-old Khitan Devine who was swimming in Atlantic City.
He along with four others this summer all died while a lifeguard was not on duty."

Drowning After Beach Hours An Issue Along Jersey Shore « CBS Philly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So not sure where your facts are coming from. Multiple people every year drown while lifeguards are off duty. September is predictably a bad time as stated in the other article I posted before due to ZERO guards on over a 100 mile stretch of beach during the week combined with warm temps. People have no options. Not sure what the debate is here other than people who seem to take this as a personal attack against NJ. It's not. Same issue happens in many U.S. mid atlantic northeast beaches. Time to change the culture and also not have a nanny state. Recognize how other places that much bigger surf than lake atlantic do it better. Southern california's beaches are packed with people and the waves are WAY WAY bigger on average than lake atlantic is.(lake atlantic is a surfer joke because of how flat this side of the atlantic is)

Increasing guard hours and length of season will saves lives. Question is whether a innocent child, man, woman's life is worth spending some of that beach badge booty so coveted by the money hungry municipalities and private beaches.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 05-30-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 09:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
^ Dude you clearly have an agenda. Post after post after post. Now you're dissing NJ's waves () and surfing culture and posting pictures of Hawaii's waves? Cool. Good for them. Chances are, we don't care. I know I don't. If you want to surf unguarded beaches or swim unguarded beaches or call for guards on normally unguarded beaches in October then fine. But you're not going to get anything out of us on here for that cause. We don't have the ability to make changes (unless we really really want to - like you seem to, then we can petition local towns or even the state), we only discuss things. And I think this particular discussion has reached its end.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:18 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Sure, but plenty were beaches that I listed

Here's some beach drownings.

2 drownings in 2012
2 swimmers drown in rip currents off NJ shore - U.S. News

"Two swimmers who vanished in rip currents off the New Jersey shore were found drowned Thursday.
Both incidents occurred at beaches where no lifeguards were on duty.
Garrett Giberson, public information officer for the Asbury Park fire department, told NJ.com, website of the Star-Ledger newspaper. “Basically the bottom line is this: When lifeguards are off duty, stay out of the water. Rip tides are dangerous and obviously deadly. It's not worth your life."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, from 2012

"WILDWOOD, N.J. (CBS) – Every evening at 5:30 in Wildwood, swimmers are told to get out of the water.
Lifeguards pull their stands out of the surf and the beach patrol calls it a day and heads home.
Moments later though, people head back into the water. It’s a ritual that has proven fatal at the shore this summer.
Five people have drowned off of a Jersey beach this season, including 10-year-old Khitan Devine who was swimming in Atlantic City.
He along with four others this summer all died while a lifeguard was not on duty."

Drowning After Beach Hours An Issue Along Jersey Shore « CBS Philly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So not sure where your facts are coming from. Multiple people every year drown while lifeguards are off duty. September is predictably a bad time as stated in the other article I posted before due to ZERO guards on over a 100 mile stretch of beach during the week combined with warm temps. People have no options. Not sure what the debate is here other than people who seem to take this as a personal attack against NJ. It's not. Same issue happens in many U.S. mid atlantic northeast beaches. Time to change the culture and also not have a nanny state. Recognize how other places that much bigger surf than lake atlantic do it better. Southern california's beaches are packed with people and the waves are WAY WAY bigger on average than lake atlantic is.(lake atlantic is a surfer joke because of how flat this side of the atlantic is)

Increasing guard hours and length of season will saves lives. Question is whether a innocent child, man, woman's life is worth spending some of that beach badge booty so coveted by the money hungry municipalities and private beaches.
People have no options? Yes, they do. Watch your kid closely. Never swim alone. Go with at least one, or preferably two or three others who will notice that you're in trouble or missing. Don't try to swim in the ocean if you don't know how to swim.

Some people die because there is no lifeguard. Some people because they're drunk or drugged. Some people die because they don't know how to swim. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:47 PM

77 posts, read 132,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
We're driving up from South Carolina next week to visit family and my sister said that beach tags are now $10, per person. How is it constitutionally legal to charge people to use the beach? We have gorgeous beaches here in SC; Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah, etc. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Greece, Great Barrier Reef, Jamaica, Playa Del Carmen, South Beach, etc. and none of these amazing beaches cost a single cent, yet, NJ charges people to use them. I don't understand how this is legal. Ok, rant over.

Lol...sister, I grew up down the shore, many a moon ago, and just as sure as the day is long, there was always a fee in the summer.

"There's the way it oughtta be, then there's the way it is."

Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
You know nothing about surfing and your ignorance is unbelievable. I'm glad the surfers sued those idiots. They have no right to arrest them. .

LOL , hit a nerve did I ,good .You sir are a great example of the pompous ass's I'm talking about ,your moronic ignorance proves my points.You have totally ignored the fact that they the surfers lost in court ,they lost on every issue .You don't want to pay for the beach , fine go somewhere else no one cares ,just stop whining.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:11 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ Dude you clearly have an agenda. Post after post after post. Now you're dissing NJ's waves () and surfing culture and posting pictures of Hawaii's waves? Cool. Good for them. Chances are, we don't care. I know I don't. If you want to surf unguarded beaches or swim unguarded beaches or call for guards on normally unguarded beaches in October then fine. But you're not going to get anything out of us on here for that cause. We don't have the ability to make changes (unless we really really want to - like you seem to, then we can petition local towns or even the state), we only discuss things. And I think this particular discussion has reached its end.

Well said !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey