Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Pretty simple it is a user fee. Somebody has to pay for the upkeep and maintenance. Somebody has to pick up the trash, somebody has to sit in the lifeguard stands to make sure nobody drowns.

I don't care if you don't get charged to use the beaches in SC or NC or Hawaii but somebody is paying to maintain those beaches.
Can you imagine how nasty the beaches would look at all the "free" beaches of nobody was paid to maintain them?
So we sock daytrippers and ppl staying in hotels. Not like NJ doesn't already tax you up the ass to begin with. What little hot weather you get is spoiled by beach fees, parking fees and $25 pizza on the boardwalk. Just awesome.

And half of these towns do a crummy job cleaning even with all these fees because there's always garbage & cigarette butts lying around. Some towns have gotten caught using fee money for the general budget. And the cops are ticket machines for 3 months. All in all NJ beaches are a bummer compared to most states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
If you don't like the fee, don't go to the beach in NJ. I wouldn't pay 5 cents to go to one of the beaches in NJ. They are crowded with obnoxious people and the water is filthy.
Was in the water yesterday. Clear and clean and cold.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
We're driving up from South Carolina next week to visit family and my sister said that beach tags are now $10, per person. How is it constitutionally legal to charge people to use the beach? We have gorgeous beaches here in SC; Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah, etc. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Greece, Great Barrier Reef, Jamaica, Playa Del Carmen, South Beach, etc. and none of these amazing beaches cost a single cent, yet, NJ charges people to use them. I don't understand how this is legal. Ok, rant over.
In a word, exclucivity, marketed in the name of heatlh and safety cost to provide a clean beach.

Not only do taxpayers provide insurance and disaster relief for homes built where they shouldn't be built, they also pay the towns for the right to exclude riff raff.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
The water is not filthy, neither are the beaches. I'm sick of these claims.

Some Long Island beaches were just shut down over the weekend for high bacteria levels in the water (I think the news site I read said 13).. but keep ragging on NJ everyone. Seems to be the go to for all.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Property taxes, hotels taxes, etc. already cover that. It was already discussed in the thread, it is only two pages long.
I know it was discussed two pages ago but you are not paying attention. Others have pointed out how ill informed you are and yet you refuse to believe them.

You will never change your position because your mind is made up. No point in me continuing with this.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM

882 posts, read 1,669,548 times
The beaches always seem pretty crowded, so the fees don't seem to be hurting business too much. Supply and demand...

If fees are so galling, go to Delaware (enjoy driving down to Rehoboth on a non - toll road, too bad the freeway stops halfway down). You can also go to Wildwood which has free beaches. Or to Sandy Hook, which has an entrance fee, but you can console yourself with the knowledge that the money goes to the NPS.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Quote:
We're driving up from South Carolina next week to visit family and my sister said that beach tags are now $10, per person. How is it constitutionally legal to charge people to use the beach? We have gorgeous beaches here in SC; Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah, etc. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Greece, Great Barrier Reef, Jamaica, Playa Del Carmen, South Beach, etc. and none of these amazing beaches cost a single cent, yet, NJ charges people to use them. I don't understand how this is legal. Ok, rant over.

Could you point to the section of the Constitution that you think prohibits beach fees?

And the rant wasn't really over, was it?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
A beach/ocean is like air, it's a natural resource. Plus most states don't have toll roads, that's what property taxes are for, so that analogy is specious. Honest question, have you been to other states aside from NJ?
No, a beach is a piece of land and can be owned privately or publicly. There is no right to use a beach, or my back yard, for free. Furthermore, beaches are improved properties. The sand was brought in, the boardwalks were built, amenites were added. People spent money and time to make that happen. You don't just get to declare it your own because you want it. I hope you are not teaching Sophia this attitude of entitlement.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
What are you rambling on about and how is SC's state liquor laws related to the fact that NJ charges people to use the beach/ocean? Again, I grew up in NJ, we paid property taxes and had to by beach tags.

P.S, SC was the 10th fastest growing state in the country over the past 10 years, the vast majority, migrants from NY, NJ, PA, MA, etc. Our beaches are filled with tourists from up north and we don't charge you to breathe the salty breezes or swim in the warm Atlantic ocean or frolic on our gorgeous beaches.
Of course you do. It's built into taxation. We pay for it when we buy a hot dog or anything else you are selling. Please wake up.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Who's watching the crooks in these beach town city halls you ask? Under Christie, of course, no one!

The case brought by the state's then-Public Advocate Alfred Slocum against Belmar, concerned whether the beach fees charged by the borough produced revenues that exceeded what is necessary to offset beachfront costs, among other issues.

The court ruled that Belmar must account for how it spent its beach revenue.

And according to Chen, that means all Shore towns are supposed to be doing the same — maintaining a clear traceable cost-accounting system and abiding by the beach fees statute.

Surplus revenue should go toward lowering beach badge fees under the law, he said.

Why are towns not following established law? Sometimes, you have to sue to make towns comply with legal actions, he said.

That was the role of the Public Advocate, he said. The office was abolished under the Christie administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey