Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 961 times

Advertisements

I would travel by train to NYC (Grand Central - Midtown area) but my husband works in Williamsburg Brooklyn. He will only drive, I hear the tolls are very costly and I know I278 can be very bad, but what if he left for work at 10am and started for home at 8pm. I know he would prefer to leave at 6am and start home at 4pm, but I think 4pm would be BAD. He wants to travel by taking the Outerbridge or the Gothels bridge. What can anyone tell me about best times to travel and cost of the bridges, are there any breaks for being a NJ Resident? I know there is a discounted rate for the Verrazano for S.I. residents.

Thinking I may start to look in Long Island, its just NJ has more house for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
There is an EZ Pass discount for either of the Port Authority bridges into Staten Island, all you have to do is register your account for the SI discount plan. As long as you cross the tolls more than 3 times a month the tolls are about half or something like $6.
As far as the return trip toll on the Verrazano i'm not sure on that but a lot of times if you have the time and the traffic is not bad you can do that toll free, esp from Williamsburg you go across lower Manhattan and out the Holland toll free back to the USA.

I-278 often gets quite backed up across Staten I eastbound from early morning throughout the day, yes. Might be better around 10AM. Usually around 7A and so it gets bad but might clear later on as many commercial trucks cross into LI.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
I would go in using the Outerbridge, which is $13, then get the Verrazano which has no toll going into Brooklyn. Coming home, you could go through Manhattan via Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridges which are free bridges as is the Queensboro Bridge in Queens, then get the Holland Tunnel which has no toll coming into Jersey and get the Turnpike home, which you would get on at 14C and get off at 10 for South Plainfield, which is $6.50. So that totals up to $19.50 per day in tolls which is the cheapest way to go unless you get the EZ Pass discount for daily commuting, but not sure how much you would save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey