Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 911 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from France to Central NJ for work in Oct. I'm originally from Boston, so the US is quite comfortable to me.

I'll be working near Princeton, my wife is most likely to find work in NYC.

We will rent for the first year or two trying to keep it under $2500 per month. We'd prefer a small house, but a large apartment would be fine if the neighbors are quiet and laundry is in the unit itself. We have no kids so don't care about public schools.

We like to live in an area where you can walk to the standard conveniences (Grocery, Coffee, pubs, maybe even art galleries or rock shows), we both lived in urban settings most of our lives. And based on my wife, I'd say living near the NYC train is important, we'll probably use it a lot on weekends also as we have friends there. A place where I can get a drink and sit outside is a pretty nice perk.

We like to go hiking, but are used to driving out 2 hours+ to do so.

We've been thinking about New Brunswick as an option, but we are worried that it'll just be a bunch of drunk college bros hanging about the place. Where else could we be looking?

L+M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,198,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleepleusTMonkey View Post
I'm moving from France to Central NJ for work in Oct. I'm originally from Boston, so the US is quite comfortable to me.

I'll be working near Princeton, my wife is most likely to find work in NYC.

We will rent for the first year or two trying to keep it under $2500 per month. We'd prefer a small house, but a large apartment would be fine if the neighbors are quiet and laundry is in the unit itself. We have no kids so don't care about public schools.

We like to live in an area where you can walk to the standard conveniences (Grocery, Coffee, pubs, maybe even art galleries or rock shows), we both lived in urban settings most of our lives. And based on my wife, I'd say living near the NYC train is important, we'll probably use it a lot on weekends also as we have friends there. A place where I can get a drink and sit outside is a pretty nice perk.

We like to go hiking, but are used to driving out 2 hours+ to do so.

We've been thinking about New Brunswick as an option, but we are worried that it'll just be a bunch of drunk college bros hanging about the place. Where else could we be looking?

L+M
What's your thought on Metuchen ? There are interesting things for you there.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Anyways, driving in traffic daily is the way of life in CNJ, so you better get used to it. Make sure you buy a good snow shovel as well for winter.

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 12:59 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Try Princeton, West Windsor, Plainsboro, Lawrence. Easy access to NJ Transit's NorthEast Corridor Line's Princeton Junction Station to Manhattan. www.njtransit for schedules.

Take a look on CraigsList housing for Central Jersey & see what rentals are available in Canal Pointe or Colonnade Pointe. It's a condo development, but a large percentage are rented by the owners. It's a beautfully landscaped area with pool in summer & tennis courts.

If you like to walk, besides being able to walk the lovely grounds, there's a walking / biking / jogging path that follows the canal all the way to PA. It's used by Princeton U. runners.

There's great theater in Princeon (McCarter Theater) & the Princeton Art Museum on the campus which is free. In summer there's Princeton Summer Theater on the campus.

Besides Princeton Junction train station, the area is serviced well by NJ Transit buses & Princeton University's Tiger Transit buses which are free to use.

New Brunswick is a quick train ride from Princeton Junction & it has a few theaters & the Zimmerli Museum.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:24 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
New Brunswick has a good mix of college kids & professionals with new hi-rise towers, nice restaurants and it's in between NYC & Princeton. Maybe a bit over an hour to NY State on 287 for mountains and Pennsylvania via 78. Not even 45 minutes to the NJ shore.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM

747 posts, read 846,759 times
I work in Lawrenceville and have found some "decent" property for $2500/month rent. Not sure your expectations coming from France or even in Boston but you may do OK.

There are a few apps on an ipad or iphone that are great for this.
zillow.com
trulia.com

Ill look tonight for the others

Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
Based on your post you seem to be interested in an in-town setting where you can walk to shops, restaurants, etc. This is probably the key part of your criteria since price and transportation is available in many different towns in the area. All of your options will have pros and cons.

Some ideas to consider:
Westfield - great trendy downtown. NJ Transit rail access to NYC but far from Princeton
Somerville - smaller downtown area but recently redeveloped and up and coming - a good midpoint for the two work locations
Princeton itself - wonderful intown living, but you may find it a bit pricey for your stated range

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey