Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,296 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
i purchased a completely distraught house a year ago. Did all kinds of renovations to clean up the exterior and interior. I just turned a former large bedroom into a master suite and added two walls to create a walk in closet and a bathroom without permits. so now i have 3 bathrooms which have all been updated. i am wondering if townships keeps note of bathroom locations only because it would be easier if i claim i have added the basement bathroom without permits because it is way easier for them to come and inspect it because it is partially backed up to a crawl space where everything is visible..

thank you in advance for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
Towns do keep on file how many bathrooms are on each floor. You should have gotten permits. Hopefully they don't make you rip it out. You could have problems if you need to get a certificate of occupancy from the town.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
No permits?

You've got to be kidding.

You'll run into all kinds of problems when trying to sell the house.

Might these changes done without permits also effect the homeowner's insurance?

Some towns require inspections be done on some types of construction. I see a long road of trouble here.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,653 times
Lets stop being holier than thou. Hey rjs, it depends on the town. Were't the illegal bathrooms already there when you bought the place? wink wink

Old 07-16-2014, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,296 times
Thank y'all.. I only did a bathroom didn't do anything else without permits.. and why yes, yes they were their and shame on them for not seeing it, right?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs4589 View Post
Thank y'all.. I only did a bathroom didn't do anything else without permits.. and why yes, yes they were their and shame on them for not seeing it, right?
You realize the town is not going to care if you try that as an excuse, right? You bought the house, it's now your responsibility. You're still gonna get fined up the wazoo if discovered, and potentially have to tear it out if they decide to go that far.
If you ever decide to sell, you're going to have take care of it anyway, as the discrepancy will definitely come up; might as well do it now, before it becomes a huge issue.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM

357 posts, read 1,026,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
You realize the town is not going to care if you try that as an excuse, right? You bought the house, it's now your responsibility. You're still gonna get fined up the wazoo if discovered, and potentially have to tear it out if they decide to go that far.
If you ever decide to sell, you're going to have take care of it anyway, as the discrepancy will definitely come up; might as well do it now, before it becomes a huge issue.
Again, not true and depends on the town.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
Lets stop being holier than thou. Hey rjs, it depends on the town. Were't the illegal bathrooms already there when you bought the place? wink wink

Obeying the law isn't "being holier than thou." Just try telling that to the Judge. LOL

I would be suspect of any contractor willing to work without permits.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
This is not true. I bought a home that had new bathroom and new electrical panel. I know the owner didnt have the permits done. Bathroom was beautiful, and home inspector said my panel had zero issues. Here we are 3 years later, my bathroom hasnt fallen apart and my electrical has not been an issue (knock on wood)

We had a contractor redo a bathroom a few months ago. We didn't get permits. We didn't move anything, why do I need a permit? So my township can come in and tax me more? GTFOH. Bathroom is beautiful too. I am certain a future buyer wont have an issue, and if they do, they wont be purchasing my home.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 AM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
Permits are also necessary to see if the work being performed is up to code and safe. The inspector is essentially double checking that your contractor did the work properly. Others may have lucked out that their contractor did the work right, but many cut corners.

A bathroom is a major renovation involving electrical and plumbing and needs to be done properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: