Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 AM

95 posts, read 206,563 times

Advertisements

Ok, thanks everyone! Combination of my research and all of your advice, we are crossing this off the list. Appreciate your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
If you're looking for completely safe/not questionable, stick with the neighborhoods that feed Steinert. Many realtors will advertise homes as "Steinert school district." I and my brother went to Hamilton West and we lived to tell the tale - it's not as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. When I was in high school roughly 10 years ago, Steinert had a lot of drug problems (and I don't mean weed) and a few suicides, which I never experienced at West. So just because a school is perceived as "better" doesn't mean it actually is.
Oh come on...everyone knows that all students in the Nottingham and West districts go straight to prison immediately after high school and that Steinert grads take their pick of the Ivies I'm a Steinert grad who was the first in the family to go to college and am solidly middle class with a wife, two kids, and house of our own, not sure if that means I'm successful or not. On the other hand I went to school with kids at Steinert who are now dead/in and out of jail. By contrast the people I did hang around with from Nottingham and West are now doing quite well, better than me actually. One is a college professor out in California and one is a lawyer with a respected firm in Philly. Like anything else, it's probably 15% school/environment and 85% whether or not your parents care enough to push you/be involved.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Oh come on...everyone knows that all students in the Nottingham and West districts go straight to prison immediately after high school and that Steinert grads take their pick of the Ivies I'm a Steinert grad who was the first in the family to go to college and am solidly middle class with a wife, two kids, and house of our own, not sure if that means I'm successful or not. On the other hand I went to school with kids at Steinert who are now dead/in and out of jail. By contrast the people I did hang around with from Nottingham and West are now doing quite well, better than me actually. One is a college professor out in California and one is a lawyer with a respected firm in Philly. Like anything else, it's probably 15% school/environment and 85% whether or not your parents care enough to push you/be involved.
Thank you. People really do not believe that test scores do NOT tell the whole story.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM

95 posts, read 206,563 times
I guess I was/am more concerned about the proximity of Nottingham and West to Trenton. I am not a person who needs the best schools - in terms of academics - I want good of course - but I am mostly concerned about safety & general environment.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigemadison View Post
I guess I was/am more concerned about the proximity of Nottingham and West to Trenton. I am not a person who needs the best schools - in terms of academics - I want good of course - but I am mostly concerned about safety & general environment.
Hamilton can be very hit or miss in those areas. There are good neighborhoods in the Nottingham/West portion and there are not so good ones. The Steinert district is the safest bet in that regard. I grew up closer to Chesterfield/Bordentown/Allentown (in the far southeastern corner of Hamilton) than to Steinert. We were derisively known as "the farm kids," but we made out OK-my parents still live there-it's a nice part of town.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM

386 posts, read 871,667 times
Nottingham is actually a slightly better school than Steinert now.

Anyone moving to Hamilton for schools is quite frankly wasting their money.

I see you're commuting to NYC? Consider West Windsor. Safer town, better schools, also located on the Northeast Corridor, roughly the same cost as the eastern parts of Hamilton.

Badfish: Yardville and Groveville have tanked within the past 5 years. Drugs and theft are a huge problem now, easily just as bad as White Horse, even Bromley on a bad day, and worse than Hamilton Square;

Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM

223 posts, read 321,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Hamilton can be very hit or miss in those areas. There are good neighborhoods in the Nottingham/West portion and there are not so good ones. The Steinert district is the safest bet in that regard. I grew up closer to Chesterfield/Bordentown/Allentown (in the far southeastern corner of Hamilton) than to Steinert. We were derisively known as "the farm kids," but we made out OK-my parents still live there-it's a nice part of town.
Speaking as someone who grew up off South Broad Street near the border of Trenton (Broad Street Park/White City area), just because you're close to Trenton does not mean you live in the ghetto or your life is in danger. We had stuff stolen out of our yard sometimes like a couple of kiddie pools, but no one ever robbed our house, there were no drive-bys, and there was no open drug dealing on the streets. It wasn't an area where our parents let us wander around unsupervised, but if you want really safe, stick with the Steinert-feeding areas of the township. I will qualify that with this: I'm a year younger than Megan Kanka would be today, and that happened in a really nice part of Hamilton.

By the way, I love the area near Chesterfield! I actually like Crosswicks/Chesterfield better. Yardville has some nice spots and most of it feeds into West.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Default "Going Downhill" comes to mind......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post

I see you're commuting to NYC? Consider West Windsor. Safer town, better schools, also located on the Northeast Corridor, roughly the same cost as the eastern parts of Hamilton.

Badfish: Yardville and Groveville have tanked within the past 5 years. Drugs and theft are a huge problem now, easily just as bad as White Horse, even Bromley on a bad day, and worse than Hamilton Square;
So would you use the slogan "Going Downhill" to describe the current state of Hamilton as a whole? It is a broad term, but people love to use it on these boards when describing an area they do not particularly like.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:

LOL because Whitehorse is like a crime ridden ghetto now?

Please...I live in Whitehorse, and our area is just fine.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I have no data to dispute what you're saying, but anecdotally I can't say that I believe its as big of a problem as you portray it. We spend many weekends visiting with my parents and friends in the area and I can't say I've seen any overt evidence of it. I'm pretty sure drugs and theft were present in that part of Hamilton in some form or another when my dad was a kid growing up there 50 years ago. Trust me, I heard stories...

I live in a tiny spec of a town in Hunterdon County and we have drugs and theft here, but I'm not involved in it and it doesn't affect me. I can say that my parents don't complain about junkies running around or things going missing. My dad did complain about the neighbors playing quoits until 2 a.m. a couple weeks ago and about the kids down the street who ride their quads down the road to access the trails in the woods behind their house. I told him he was a grumpy old man now that he's retired and that he sounded like the old folks who lived in the neighborhood when I was a kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey