Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,086,618 times

Advertisements

They should be focusing construction money on places where it is really needed, like 280 through downtown Newark. Talk about a bottleneck. 3 lanes down to 2 lanes and then back to 3 lanes again, and a 100 year old drawbridge in between. Traffic backs up for miles every day in both directions. It's pathetic that NJ's largest city of almost 300,000 people is served by a 2-lane interstate. Yet instead they are spending construction money on 80 and 287 for "improvements" where there will be no noticeable impact to commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,974,064 times
Odd. Maybe it's just the times I go. I have never got stuck going through the Parsippany I-80 construction zone as of yet. I usually move through without incident. Of course, if Wase says it's no go, I find an alternate route.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,502,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
They should be focusing construction money on places where it is really needed, like 280 through downtown Newark. Talk about a bottleneck. 3 lanes down to 2 lanes and then back to 3 lanes again, and a 100 year old drawbridge in between. Traffic backs up for miles every day in both directions. It's pathetic that NJ's largest city of almost 300,000 people is served by a 2-lane interstate. Yet instead they are spending construction money on 80 and 287 for "improvements" where there will be no noticeable impact to commuters.
That section of Int 280 was originally a short highway NJ 58 that was integrated into 280. It just ran that short section from E Orange through Nerk over the drawbridge into Harrison.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,096,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That section of Int 280 was originally a short highway NJ 58 that was integrated into 280. It just ran that short section from E Orange through Nerk over the drawbridge into Harrison.
Most of the Newark-bound traffic coming from points West was also supposed to wind up on the (unbuilt) NJ-75 expressway.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:40 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,333,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Problem too is all the people who moved out to the Pocono's for cheaper housing and taxes but can't find decent paying jobs out there clog 80, 280 and 287 commuting to jobs in Morris and Essex counties.

Could never figure that out...cheaper houses and taxes but what is the commute costing them in gas, wear and tear on the cars plus wear and tear on themselves as I think that is an awful commute.

I use 80 every day and there is plenty of PA plates whizzing by me.
it's really not that much wear and tear when it's highway miles. my brother in law lived in Wilmington and because of the nature of his job has commuted to Atlantic City and other parts of NJ. he put 220,000 miles on a car. maybe they don't commute 5 days a week. who knows.

bottom line is, none of those roads were designed to handle the volume, and 80 is a major tractor trailer road. investing in better transit would have been smart, but instead, we just keep adding lanes.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
What did you expect when they built all those roads out to the boondocks of NJ, nobody was going to use them?

Before I78 very few commuted from Hunterdon or Warren co. or Eastern PA into NJ or NYC.
NJ does not have a too few roads problem it has a too many people problem.

There are no solutions to NJ's overcrowded highways, you either put up with it or you move out of NJ.
people never learn from a classic civil engineering rule: you can't build enough lanes to handle the volume. they will ALWAYS get filled. it's a short term solution. you have to improve transportation so that individuals aren't sitting in a 20x8 box taking up space on a road. connecting to outer areas with interstates is only going to cause traffic down the road. short term relief, long term pain.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Odd. Maybe it's just the times I go. I have never got stuck going through the Parsippany I-80 construction zone as of yet. I usually move through without incident. Of course, if Wase says it's no go, I find an alternate route.
I often wonder how much time in traffic would be saved if every single person started using Waze. And wasted gas!

Every time I second guess the route it gives me i get screwed. I no longer second guess it no matter how odd it seems.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,300,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
people never learn from a classic civil engineering rule: you can't build enough lanes to handle the volume. they will ALWAYS get filled. it's a short term solution. you have to improve transportation so that individuals aren't sitting in a 20x8 box taking up space on a road. connecting to outer areas with interstates is only going to cause traffic down the road. short term relief, long term pain.
I always thought they they put too many exits on and off of the interstates. Good for the developers who turned once productive farmland into office parks and housing projects. If they had limited the interchanges to every 10-15 miles or so it still would have provided for interstate travel but cut down on intrastate travel.
All those developers who paved over NJ now either live in the wealthy areas of limited development in NJ or moved out of state.
I was fortunate to have worked for one of those developers in Somerset county who paved over farmland but they are now retired to Fl and I left NJ for greener pastures (less people).

The only real solution to NJ commuting is mass rail transit but first you have to convince people the give up the "luxury" of car commuting.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

The only real solution to NJ commuting is mass rail transit but first you have to convince people the give up the "luxury" of car commuting.
People always think mass transit is some easy solution. Mass transit only works if you're going into an urban center, like NYC or Newark. Think about all the office buildings, schools, and other places people work in suburban areas like Morris, Essex, Somerset, and Middlesex Counties. What happens once you get off the train? How do you plan to get to the office? And how do you plan to get to the train station from your home to begin with? While it may seem like a bummer to sit in traffic, for many people their commute would take at least twice as long via train or bus.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,300,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
People always think mass transit is some easy solution. Mass transit only works if you're going into an urban center, like NYC or Newark. Think about all the office buildings, schools, and other places people work in suburban areas like Morris, Essex, Somerset, and Middlesex Counties. What happens once you get off the train? How do you plan to get to the office? And how do you plan to get to the train station from your home to begin with? While it may seem like a bummer to sit in traffic, for many people their commute would take at least twice as long via train or bus.
I certainly don't think it's an easy solution to solve car traffic and the way NJ is overpopulated and overbuilt. Expansion of rail into other business parks is probably never going to happen.

The best thing you can really do is complain about traffic and blame it on those who came before you. Blame it on all those businesses that moved out of the urban centers for cheaper rent and cheaper taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey