Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Say it isn't so!!!!!

My Italian born father was the only one in his immediate family to marry a non-Italian. His sisters married Italian men and his brothers married Italian women. My grandparents barely spoke to my mother and she never got treated much better by the others.
That will bring us back to Do, oh oh oh.

I married a dark haired, dark eyed, half Sicilian guy. Our son is fair, blonde, and has light grayish, hazel eyes. At least we know that I am his mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
You need to enjoy meeting characters and relish the experience, an experience you might not otherwise be exposed to.

Set aside the hypersenitivity of the social justice establishment and enjoy the fading cultural beliefs and behavior that go away with each successive generation.

Learn to know the difference between nefarious intent and no harm intended.

Many folks get asked where something is a supermarket, sometime the questioned is mistaken for an empoloyee. sometimes a question arises because of frustration in finding the item and you ask the first person you make eye contact with.

If you ever went to an asian market you'd understand that the ginger tea is to be found in 4 or 5 different aisles. Convential and chain stores generally have all similar items in one aisle.

Don't buy into the social justice strategy that everyone is a victim and Thomas the Train is racist.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
You need to enjoy meeting characters and relish the experience, an experience you might not otherwise be exposed to.
bingo. i get a kick out of people that operate outside for the standard social norms. that doesnt mean i want to deal with a-holes, but someone who may ask something inappropriate without ill intentions is entertaining. old people will say some of the funniest stuff because they either dont care or they are used to different norms than we are today.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
"Your baby is very cute and exotic looking. Where did you adopt him from?".
"Thank you, we found her from fill_in_blank hospital in new jersey. Would you like to pet her?"

Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Many folks get asked where something is a supermarket, sometime the questioned is mistaken for an empoloyee. sometimes a question arises because of frustration in finding the item and you ask the first person you make eye contact with.

If you ever went to an asian market you'd understand that the ginger tea is to be found in 4 or 5 different aisles. Convential and chain stores generally have all similar items in one aisle.
I wrote this story 100 posts ago in this thread but it's a bit much when a woman in her 30s walks up to me at a Pathmark and asks "you're oriental right? Do you know where the soy sauce is?". When I told her I didn't know, she walks away shaking her head in disbelief... Elderly in her 70's - 80's would be a different story.

There's certainly no nefarious intent here but there's definitely ignorance and a tinge of something I can't put my finger on. But like you said, I enjoyed it because it turned into a legendary story among my group of friends (all white) and it comes up everytime we get together and we all crack up over it.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
I wrote this story 100 posts ago in this thread but it's a bit much when a woman in her 30s walks up to me at a Pathmark and asks "you're oriental right? Do you know where the soy sauce is?". When I told her I didn't know, she walks away shaking her head in disbelief... Elderly in her 70's - 80's would be a different story.

There's certainly no nefarious intent here but there's definitely ignorance and a tinge of something I can't put my finger on. But like you said, I enjoyed it because it turned into a legendary story among my group of friends (all white) and it comes up everytime we get together and we all crack up over it.
PLEASE tell me you are kidding. PLEASE.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 PM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:

I find it funny, no offense, you claim everyone is racist to you and your family but you don't have any Asian peers. Your wife is white and your friends are all white (according to you). You seem racist yourself. Why don't you have any Asians, Black, or Hispanic friends? Also, I find it funny your username is a white person's name. Maybe the problem isn't everyone is racist. Maybe you just are self hating. I also find it funny people called me racist, but I have plenty of Indian and Black friends.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:33 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I find it funny, no offense, you claim everyone is racist to you and your family but you don't have any Asian peers. Your wife is white and your friends are all white (according to you). You seem racist yourself. Why don't you have any Asians, Black, or Hispanic friends? Also, I find it funny your username is a white person's name. Maybe the problem isn't everyone is racist. Maybe you just are self hating. I also find it funny people called me racist, but I have plenty of Indian and Black friends.
No words... find my quote that says "everyone's racist".

Old 07-31-2014, 02:39 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Wow, you just can't make this stuff up, I love it. CD NJ regulars, is smommaof3 for real? Are you sure she's not trollin'?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 PM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
No words... find my quote that says "everyone's racist".
It's ok when you're racist and only hand out with white people, but it's wrong when people are "racist" to you? I think your biggest problem (that you feel) is that the baby looks too much like you. Maybe in your mind you think you're one race, but you're not. Like I can dye my hair blonde, but it doesn't make me a natural blonde. I think this is the issue you have, but instead of sorting it out and learning to love yourself/race/culture, you're lashing out at people who remind you you're Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey