Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:44 PM

1,557 posts, read 2,148,141 times

Advertisements

Probably not a NJ section topic but I primarily post here so here goes:

I'm asian and my wife is caucasian. We recently had our 1st child 8 weeks ago and as you can imagine, he looks slightly asian and well, slightly caucasian.

So my wife is at CVS this morning picking up a few things up here in north jersey (Wyckoff to be exact) and an elderly lady walks up to her and says "Your baby is very cute and exotic looking. Where did you adopt him from?". My wife, without taking any offense, went on to explain that her husband is asian and she in fact is the biological mother. Other customers in the store listening to this just shook their heads/rolled their eyes in disbelief that this lady would ask something like this.

I personally thought it was funny when my wife called to tell me about it and she thought it was amusing (I've been asked at a supermarket where one can find a bottle of soy sauce so this is nothing - again in north jersey - I told her I didn't know and she walked away shaking her head).

Question is, would you CD folks react the same way my wife did or would you have been offended? If so, what would you have said?

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 07-29-2014 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:48 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
"When was the last time you were intimate with someone? Oh, wait, I'm sorry, are we not asking total strangers personal questions? I thought that was what you wanted."

Old 07-29-2014, 01:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
I might have started babbling in a sing-songy Asian-stereotype sounding ramble and ended it in, "So solly. Me no speaky."

Just bc I think sh*t like that is hilarious... poking fun at racist nudniks.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,774 times
It's nothing to get offended over, or poke fun at. The lady who asked is from an older generation. My dad got asked when we were babies 30+years ago.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
It's nothing to get offended over, or poke fun at. The lady who asked is from an older generation. My dad got asked when we were babies but that was 30+years ago.
So now age is an excuse for being a nosy racist?

OK.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:09 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

OK.
I think this is overreacting a little, maybe because I get asked sometimes and it doesn't bother me at all. The OP's wife wasn't offended. I guess It could be offensive, depending on how the lady said it, but given that she was older and living in a majority white area I believe I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. She did compliment the baby after all.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
oh come on, you knew where the soy sauce was!

i think its fine as long as there is no malice. some people are a little less careful than others. i think if you are easily offended by this stuff, you have an insecurity problem.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:18 PM

577 posts, read 899,910 times
I've been asked numerous times if one of my daughters is adopted. I think most of the time the questioner is interested in adoption herself (it's always been women). I always thought it was funny and never took offense.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

OK.
a person doesnt need an excuse to be a racist.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 PM

190 posts, read 391,598 times
I've got one for this adoption issue. My children, both biological to their dad and me, look very little alike. Several people have reacted with surprise when they are told they are biological siblings. My daughter took after her father's side of the family, which is mostly Irish, and my son took after my side, which is Irish, English, Scottish and Indian. When they were younger, my son told my daughter that she was actually their aunt's daughter (because she favors her) but they only wanted boys so their dad and I adopted her! He was definitely punished for that one and she was very firmly reassured that she was born to us. Now, it's a funny story; then, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey