Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:11 PM

167 posts, read 376,314 times

Advertisements

I just moved from the Mid-West to New Jersey for a job. I'm surprised as to how different the driving etiquette is.

Where I'm from, we usually have a few extremes - few people who drive 10 or more miles over the speed limit and few people who 5 or more miles under the speed limit. A lot of people drive on around the speed limit.

However, in New Jersey (especially Central Jersey, where I'm living) there seems to be more people driving in the extremes and fewer people driving within or around the speed limit - especially on the highway.

My guess for so many people speeding is the difference in lifestyle here. New Jersey tends to have a busy lifestyle attached to it, whereas in the Mid-West the lifestyles are more laid-back.

I see people going at 80 mph when the speed limit is 55 mph and I hardly see the police pulling them over. I wonder if the policies regarding speeding here are different.

What do you all think? What's the reason for so many people speeding here? Should I go with the flow, in order to reduce traffic congestion? I've noticed people like me who drive on the speed limit tend to slow down traffic dramatically in an abrupt manner.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,890,781 times
Why do people tend to speed? I'm not really sure, it's just something that's common. I don't even question it. The cops will get you though especially in the summer, when everyone heads to the beach, so don't think they ignore every speeder. I'm guessing they just look for the dangerous ones - the crazies weaving in and out of lanes while going 80.. If you're staying in one lane going a consistent but high speed you're more likely to not be bothered than someone weaving like a maniac.

It probably does have to do with our lifestyle. New Yorkers are much the same on the road, but we say they're worse and they say we're worse. In reality, we're probably the same.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,304,117 times
IMO the reason so many NJ people speed is because they don't allow enough time to get to where they are going.

If they have a 30 minute drive to work they leave for work 15 min before starting time.
Since many 40 hr jobs are now 60-70 hr jobs I guess employees justify being late because they are making calls and answering e-mails while driving to work.

Yes NJ is a faster pace than the Midwest and the South, when you enter a diner of restaurant the server will be asking for your order as your ass hits the seat. In the South your server will approach you just before you get PO'd and decide to walk out.

Get used to NJ where everything is faster, the cars are faster, people talk faster and some of the women are fast as well.

Welcome to NJ

Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,126,396 times
I have several cop friends up here in north jersey and generally speaking, they said they'll pull you over if they catch you doing 68+ on a 50, 72+ on a 55 and 78+ on 65. They also look for those driving at or near the speed limit in the left and center lanes since it leads to aggressive/dangerous maneuvers by those that want to pass you. Failing to keep right fines can be anywhere from $100 to $300.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,945,325 times
In my experience, I don't find that people speed in NJ significantly more than in most other states where I have lived or driven.

I think the difference is that it is much more crowded on the roads here, so it can initially be more intimidating when there are so many cars around you, speeding, changing lanes, etc. When you're in a quieter area and the roads aren't jammed, cruising at 75-80 can be done in a more relaxed way.

(Also, I think most of the places where people are going 75-80 are in 65 mph zones)

Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 PM

18,414 posts, read 15,125,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
IMO the reason so many NJ people speed is because they don't allow enough time to get to where they are going.

If they have a 30 minute drive to work they leave for work 15 min before starting time.
Since many 40 hr jobs are now 60-70 hr jobs I guess employees justify being late because they are making calls and answering e-mails while driving to work.

Yes NJ is a faster pace than the Midwest and the South, when you enter a diner of restaurant the server will be asking for your order as your ass hits the seat. In the South your server will approach you just before you get PO'd and decide to walk out.

Get used to NJ where everything is faster, the cars are faster, people talk faster and some of the women are fast as well.

Welcome to NJ
I disagree. Most people that speed, speed whether they are early, late, or on time. Same with people who drive slow. People drive the way they like to drive, and their individual "time situation" is more of a minor contributing factor.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 PM

18,414 posts, read 15,125,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
In my experience, I don't find that people speed in NJ significantly more than in most other states where I have lived or driven.

I think the difference is that it is much more crowded on the roads here, so it can initially be more intimidating when there are so many cars around you, speeding, changing lanes, etc. When you're in a quieter area and the roads aren't jammed, cruising at 75-80 can be done in a more relaxed way.

(Also, I think most of the places where people are going 75-80 are in 65 mph zones)
The worst I have seen is when I go to visit my brother in Atlanta. I'll be driving 80, and people constantly will fly right by me. NJ drivers are slowpokes compared to them.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 PM

88,044 posts, read 83,895,248 times
I remember visiting Colorado years ago. They had these newer, nice highways, very straight, and all this open space, and so relatively few drivers--and they crawled along like snails. I couldn't understand it. I realize you have to watch out for cops, but as someone already said, there's always a "cushion" of miles over the posted limit that you can drive before a cop pulls you over for speeding, providing you're not weaving or driving like an idiot in some other way.

I don't think the cops in NJ on the major highways really want you to drive too slow, or even the speed limit, because the roads will get congested faster than they already do.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,515,789 times
Most of the car accidents you see in NJ are the results of stupidity and illegal lane changes. Speed does not cause accidents it's the people that don't signal or improperly change lanes that causes crashes.

I was doing about 75mph on the GSP and suddenly I see a car signal and move to my lane, so I promptly changed lanes to avoid the car but the driver probably didn't realize that I am coming fast so they backed off from changing lanes and I nearly rear ended that car.

There's also too many people talking on the mobile phones that causes traffic delays.

I'm also used to 1 car distance when following behind and many NJ drivers get annoyed easily when they think the car is too close to them.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:38 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most of the car accidents you see in NJ are the results of stupidity and illegal lane changes. Speed does not cause accidents it's the people that don't signal or improperly change lanes that causes crashes.

I was doing about 75mph on the GSP and suddenly I see a car signal and move to my lane, so I promptly changed lanes to avoid the car but the driver probably didn't realize that I am coming fast so they backed off from changing lanes and I nearly rear ended that car.

There's also too many people talking on the mobile phones that causes traffic delays.

I'm also used to 1 car distance when following behind and many NJ drivers get annoyed easily when they think the car is too close to them.

I don't even know where to begin.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey