Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
Please don't buy a pet if you don't have the money to take care of it.
^^This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My Silky's companion stayed with his family. His owner decided that if we'd only take one, she'd keep the other. She lives 1000 (or so) miles away but stopped in to visit last year. She had the other Silky with her, and the two definitely remembered each other. Ours doesn't normally like other dogs much, especially males, but she surely was happy to see her old mate. For a few minutes. Then it was, "Nice to see you. Now go away."
ha ha ha too funny :-)
love happy endings

Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n7kitten View Post
Like I said I would have money for the supplies and also I would be helping I have money and its not my parents money. I was close to getting a free to good home husky but unfortunately when we were supposed to pick up the dog was the only day and everyone was working. Now please if you're not going to have useful comments I suggest you not go on any of my threads.

Along with the resources to care for your pet, you also need the maturity to take on such responsibilities.

You have received many good and useful responses that you should consider carefully, even if it isn't telling you what you want to hear.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
After the shots, registration, etc - what do you need? A bowl, leash & some Alpo?
The expected medical expenses aren't trivial.

The unexpected expenses as mentioned above is into the thousands of dollars.

When you adopt a pet, it is a forever commitment.
Unfortunately, with many people when the $$$ adds up, they dump the dog.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
If you adopt a "free" puppy you are right, you will need money for expenses (but not just food, leash and bowls) such as an initial vet visit because the dog needs to be checked for heartworm, parasites (a lot of dogs have worms, fleas, etc), and will need to receive vaccinations. You should also prepare to have the dog spayed/neutered if you are going to be responsible. These two things will easily run you about $400. Guess what? That is about the cost of adoption fees and most rescue groups already ensure the dog is up-to-date on shots and is spayed/neutered so you wont need to spend that money again. Granted, you will still want to have a vet visit but the biggest things will have already been taken care of.

Of course, rescue groups require you to complete an application and they check references. If these are problems well then I can understand not wanting to go that route...

I also want to make one last comment based on your initial post, if you are intent on doing this, please research the breeds of dog that best fit your lifestyle. Even if adopting a mutt you should know something about the breeds that are in the mix. Also do yourself a favor and read up on how to choose a puppy. You may find the information helpful in realizing just taking "any" free dog is not the best way to do this. A shy dog vs. a pack leader are different when it comes to training and obedience. One may lead you to frustration and cause you to not want the dog 6 months down the line.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:10 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Hi my family and I would like a puppy. Unfortunately, if we were to buy/adopt one we wouldn't have the money right after to buy the needed supplies. I was wondering if anyone knows a website or something that we could look at. That would be much appreciated. We are looking for a small or medium sized male puppy or young dog. As long as its not a pit bull its fine. Also has to be good with kids and other dogs. Some one in another part of our house owns a dog. He's big but scared of anything. So he runs away like a coward
an adoption fee runs anywhere from $50-$250 at most rescues. no offense, but if you can't afford to buy a leash, collar, crate, and dog food after the adoption fee then you're not going to be able to afford a dog. you've got annual vet visits, unexpected vet visits, and $20-$60/month in food depending on the size of the dog.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:37 PM

244 posts, read 597,938 times
I agree with the posters above. We just got a dog in November, and below is a rough estimate of expenses we have and it hasn't been a full year. We knew this going in and well worth it but having a dog is a large expense:

Adopted him from a shelter: $50
Initial supplies: Beds, Toys, Blankets, Bowls, Treats, Brush, Bath products:, leash, crate: $350
Initial grooming (since he came out of a shelter): $50
Dog Walker: My husband works from home sometimes but if he doesn't it's $20 per day or if we need them to come on the weekends - so lets say $1,600 this year
Had to get him fixed and teeth fixed as well as some shots: $500
Other vet visits - think we had 2 or 3 so far: $500
Food/Treats: probably around $40 a month ($360 for 9 months so far)
Boarding (for 1 vacation - we took him with us for another one) - $200

So for the 9 months we have had him, we have spent $3,600 (and I'm probably missing things)

Just something to think about!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:51 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Like I said I would have money for the supplies and also I would be helping I have money and its not my parents money. I was close to getting a free to good home husky but unfortunately when we were supposed to pick up the dog was the only day and everyone was working. Now please if you're not going to have useful comments I suggest you not go on any of my threads.
You posted the question and you're getting your answers, unanimously I might add. You couldn't even get to wherever it was you wanted to adopt a dog (as you say above), so you don't have your own ride. How are you going to buy food, heartworm prevention, flea & tick prevention, get the dog to a vet, etc.?

Old 08-05-2014, 02:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
the OP is 15 years old. he/she probably has no idea what money would be available for taking care of the dog.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 3,167 times
OK one thing is I'm not immature and I never get what I want. I'm about to be 16. I have money being saved because I'm hoping to get a dog after I get a certain amount of money saved up. Yes you are right I apologize,I wasn't in a good mood at the time that I posted that comment. Although there are dogs for adoption that already have their shots and registration they will need vet care in the future. Other than me being angry every once in a while, I am very mature for my age. I look and act as if I'm like 20. I have manners unlike most teens today. Once again I apologize for my recent comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey