Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 AM

14 posts, read 30,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
Mahwah, NJ was the first place that came to my mind. It pretty much satisfies all of your requirements. It has a synagogue on rt. 202 which is a couple minute drive to the Ramapo Ridge Reserve. Also, it's location gives you instant access to rt.17 (a shoppers paradise), rt 287, and the NY state throughway.
You could also head west into NJ and touch upon towns like Ringwood, Haskell, West Milford etc where you will get more house for your money, mountain views, and water everywhere (lakes, ponds, rivers etc). Although the more west you go you may find it a bit too bucolic. However thanks to NJ's highway system you are never more than 20 mins away from a giant mall not to mention supermarkets and shopping centers are everywhere.
Yes, lovely town..may be too pricey..but will also look into surrounding areas. Thanks for your detailed reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Long Valley would be worth a look for you. Very pretty area with elevation and within range of synagogue and Toms River (probably 1:45 away)
I'm not familiar with it but it does look really beautiful with plenty of elbow room between houses. Will check it out, thanks.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Bucks County Pennsylvania has numerous towns that fit your criteria.
(Although I don't know if 'mountainous' is an appropriate descriptor. 'Hilly' may be more correct.)
You'll find lovely homes below your budget.
The car ride to Toms River is 1½+/- hours. (Just avoid Friday afternoons and Saturdays in the summer.)
Hilly is ok, below budget is more than ok ...thanks

Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Anything north or west of Morristown is where you start seeing hills. NJ doesn't really have mountains. Ringwood, West Milford, Jefferson Twp, Mahwah.

However, the Jew factor is pretty low there but not non-existent.
Good to know, thank you.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluderby View Post
Cold Spring NY. Nice walkable town in/near the mountains. 2 hours to Tom's River. Should have everything you're looking for.
Yes, I've been there and I remember the town was very charming surrounded by mountains. It may be too expensive but I'll look further into it. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Warren County has plenty of hills and minor mountains.
Good to know, thanks Calico!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
How about East Stroudsburg? Foothills of the poconos and shoot over on 80 to all your favorite jersey spots. The college there is growing and that brings money arts and culture.
A friend suggested looking into Stroudsburg but East Stroudsburg may be better for usthanks.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Make it three hours and you're in the Catskills.
lol...and that may happen too Mightyqueen

Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Default Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
How about East Stroudsburg? Foothills of the poconos and shoot over on 80 to all your favorite jersey spots. The college there is growing and that brings money arts and culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvetteson View Post
A friend suggested looking into Stroudsburg but East Stroudsburg may be better for usthanks.
Currently, you can get a lot of house for your money in the Stroudsburg area. Many houses a mere decade-old (built in the real estate boom) subsequently fell to foreclosure in the crash. You'll be amazed at what you can buy for as little as $100,000!!! Yes... really!

But beware the property taxes
. In my recent house-shopping experience, I've discovered that in the East Stroudsburg area, I can replace my Northeast Jersey home for a mere quarter of its NJ price... but the real estate taxes are no less ridiculous. Dollar-for-dollar based on property value, they're actually much higher there! (And you don't get the type of services you'd expect for those tax rates.)

Also, before getting serious about the area, visit the synagogue and ask locals about the broader culture. It's not for everyone. And that trip to Toms River will get L-O-N-G very quickly.

But price alone? There are not many places within hollering distance of NJ that you can get more house for your money than in Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:54 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvetteson View Post
lol...and that may happen too Mightyqueen
I'm in Monmouth County, north of TR (109), and my daughter went to school and then lived in Albany, so I'd pass the Catskills on way. The ride is easy, as a long as you avoid rush hours and Friday evening traffic in the summer. Up the Parkway, up the Thruway. Nice highway driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey