Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 10,720 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? currently renting in Fort Lee in a high rise.
Why are you moving? Somewhere in Bergen or Essex county area
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? will be working in Little Falls/Cedar Grove, NJ.
Need to drive into NYC 1-2 times a week during non rush hour. Also our families live in NYC.

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? under $500K asking price
What kind of place are you looking for ? 3+ bedroom house or townhouse, 2+ bathroom. Nice backyard. Not scared of doing some renovations, but not a total fixer upper.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? 3 year old daughter, spouse & 2 small dogs
Do you need/want good public schools? YES

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Jewish area (not religious), want my daughter to be in great public school with decent amount of Jews in her class, but we're not religious at all.
Within 30ish min to Cedar Grove, NJ and 30ish min drive to NYC during non rush hour times.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance
Really good public schools, close (5-10 min drive) from a downtown area with restaurants, etc, parks/playgrounds nearby.

Tenafly seems perfect, except for nothing within our budget. So what's similar to Tenafly but has more affordable options??

Here's what we're thinking but would love to hear your feedback about these towns & if there's somewhere else we should consider....
Closter, Glen Rock, Wyckoff, Franklin Lakes
West Caldwell, North Caldwell

Also how is River Edge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,113 times
Tag a deuce onto your budget if you want to find something decent in Closter, Wyckoff, or North Caldwell. Add 100K for Glen Rock. Double it for Franklin Lakes. You might be able to swing River Edge, but taxes are very high and don't expect a perfect house for $500K.

Not sure if the Caldwells have much of a Jewish population, but I'm leaning towards no. Livingston might have some older houses in the 500K range, has a sizable, fairly secular Jewish population, and excellent schools.

If you can settle for "Very Good" schools, Fair Lawn is fairly affordable by North Jersey standards and has a large, primarily secular Jewish population (although the orthodox population seems to have grown a bit in recent years). 500K will get you quite a bit more house than in any of the other towns.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 10,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Tag a deuce onto your budget if you want to find something decent in Closter, Wyckoff, or North Caldwell. Add 100K for Glen Rock. Double it for Franklin Lakes. You might be able to swing River Edge, but taxes are very high and don't expect a perfect house for $500K.

Not sure if the Caldwells have much of a Jewish population, but I'm leaning towards no. Livingston might have some older houses in the 500K range, has a sizable, fairly secular Jewish population, and excellent schools.

If you can settle for "Very Good" schools, Fair Lawn is fairly affordable by North Jersey standards and has a large, primarily secular Jewish population (although the orthodox population seems to have grown a bit in recent years). 500K will get you quite a bit more house than in any of the other towns.
Thanks for the input. Livingston I believe is slightly further from NYC than the others, but not too bad & I've heard great things about the schools, so I'll add it to the list.
There actually seems to be a decent amount of listings within my budget in Closter. Like I said above, I'm willing to do some renovations (kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, etc) as long as it's cosmetic and no major structural problems.
I've also found a few houses listed in Wyckoff & Franklin Lakes. There are some townhouses listed in North Caldwell within the budget.
I know North Caldwell is pretty Jewish, but not sure about the Jewish population in Caldwell & West Caldwell, where there seem to be more houses in my budget.

I've heard mixed things about the Fair Lawn schools, but I think I'll check it out anyway because there's a lot of houses in the budget there.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:32 PM

108 posts, read 295,744 times
Since your in Fort Lee, why not Tenafly? The school's are okay, nice empty playgrounds, 20 minute drive to Ridgewood for dinning. Nice large Jewish Community and the not the religious type. Overall it seem to fit you well, I'm sure you can get one for your budget, if you can do a little work on it.

Livingston has a Acad Bus to the city every hour maybe more in rush hours, overall I feel there is more activities in school for kids. If I had to pick again I would pick Livingston for my kid to grow up in over Bergen County.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:38 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Not being Jewish maybe I don't know from these things. But when looking for a place to live on a certain budget, why would you want to automatically limit yourself to a handful of towns? NJ is quite diverse as I'm sure you know.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM

108 posts, read 295,744 times
Yes, is interesting that people like to stick with a certain community. A few days ago someone ask for a chinese community. I also think a kid should grow up in a diversify community, obviously school education is the most important.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypp View Post
20 minute drive to Ridgewood for dinning.
The use of ear plugs might be a good idea in Ridgewood...

Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 PM

21 posts, read 51,975 times
I grew up in Livingston, and there was certainly a large secular Jewish population I went to a conservative synagogue but there are lots of options for congregations within town and nearby. I got an excellent education, too (although personally I found the high school to be somewhat too high-pressure for my tastes, but I understand that's what a lot of people want).

Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,151,044 times
West Orange has a very large Jewish population. You can certainly find a house under $500k and it's only a 15-20 minute drive to Cedar Grove and Little Falls. Many of our neighbors are Jewish and send their kids to the public schools.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 PM

550 posts, read 966,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
West Orange has a very large Jewish population. You can certainly find a house under $500k and it's only a 15-20 minute drive to Cedar Grove and Little Falls. Many of our neighbors are Jewish and send their kids to the public schools.
We went to a barbecue at our friends who live in West Orange this past weekend. They have one child who just finished Kindergarten. The father was complaining about how high the taxes are and it doesn't even go towards an education system that's as good as other neighboring towns where taxes are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey