Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
It would not be my choice to raise a family. No public transportation, average schools, and a ton of traffic.
Let's not forget the condition of the roads in Piscataway.

Although Middlesex County, in general, has a lot of roads that are in fairly poor condition, many--or perhaps even most--of the streets and roads in Piscataway are very badly deteriorated, and are several years past when they should have been repaved.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 AM

14 posts, read 29,629 times
Thanks for all the reps folks. No, I'm not that real estate guy :-)

Thanks Ansky, i did miss out Highland park. How is the commute from there to NYC/JC etc.

I'm residing at Woodbridge township and had been long planning to buy a home soon in the nearby locality or in Bridgewater area. The main problem in Bridgewater was the commute. The price for SFH was quite high compared to this area. There wasn't much inventory other than condominiums and townhouses over there.

I was initially interested in North Edison due to its schools but alas - There is a big bidding war going on here since few years. For instance, I came across a mediocre home that was overpriced and on top, there was this bidding war in place, and I was a loser most of the time. Woodbridge/Iselin has one of the best commute (sorry, I'm not going to put the word - fact anymore) but mostly have old homes that doesn't look appealing to me.

Yes, I've heard that East Brunswick has good schools but mostly old homes and i'm not sure about the commute to Jersey City (Exchange place financial district) etc. And I somehow disliked driving through Rte 18. As i was driving Rte 18S the other time, It started really well from Piscataway(Rutgers section) and took me through New Brunswick which made me to say WOW, and finally took me to some construction area with merge onto NJTP and there i came to know that its East Brunswick.

The realtors suggested me either Piscataway or Old Bridge for more inventory on nice homes.

I did drive through few sections of Piscataway like Society Hill, North Stelton , River road section and they do have some pretty nice layouts. I also noticed that they have Edison station close to the Stelton road of Piscataway. It looks like it does matter as to which part of Piscataway you would want to live. Websites like Neighborhood scout have given a very good rating for Piscataway compared to other nearby areas in terms of safety. I guess, I may have to sacrifice for the mediocre schools, but apart from this, any other inputs and discussions regarding the sections of the township are appreciated.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Stay away from the Arbor section bordering Plainfield.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 PM

395 posts, read 603,748 times
Hoes Lane looks like the Gaza Strip. When are they paving that ****?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
Of all the towns listed I like Metuchen best

Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 PM

27 posts, read 58,880 times
East Brunswick and North Edison have good schools but i really doubt if they have nice homes that are affordable. Most of the homes around these areas need too many upgrades unlike the homes in Piscataway, which are generally good and affordable.
I however love the Inman Ave and Park Ave section in Edison area that has all the nicest homes out there. But they are so expensive that I can buy 2 mansions for that price in Dallas. I hate the section between Rte 27 and Oak Tree road that is close to the Iselin area.

One thing that i noticed of late in Piscataway is that their roads need a major upgrade.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
Piscataway is a pretty average town but for being home to part of the greatest public university in America.

It would not be my choice to raise a family. No public transportation, average schools, and a ton of traffic.

East Brunswick has a lot of newer homes, some of the best schools in NJ, and a good bus service along 18, which is also traffic clogged. JP Stevens in Edison is also one of the best HS in NJ. Lots of newer homes in North Edison as well. Not many new homes in Highland Park, but also great schools and can walk across the bridge to New Brunswick.

The parts of New Brunswick closest to Pway are the safest and best and most interesting. The problem is of course the area closest to Plainfield which is terrible.

Bottom line, if you can afford EB or HP or North Edison and you have kids, you'll almost definitely choose those over Pway.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
I have no skin in this game but I have lived in Central NJ for more than 60 years and I have lived in most of the towns mentioned including Edison, Piscataway, Bridgewater Twp.
For quality of life with above average schools, convenience of shopping and commuting, Bridgewater has it all over those other towns.Yes it is more expensive for the most desirable mountain areas but you get what you pay for.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 AM

27 posts, read 58,880 times
How is the commute from Bridgewater to NYC? I've heard that the commute factor is one single reason why you would want to consider cities like Edison over Bridgewater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have no skin in this game but I have lived in Central NJ for more than 60 years and I have lived in most of the towns mentioned including Edison, Piscataway, Bridgewater Twp.
For quality of life with above average schools, convenience of shopping and commuting, Bridgewater has it all over those other towns.Yes it is more expensive for the most desirable mountain areas but you get what you pay for.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarsr View Post
How is the commute from Bridgewater to NYC? I've heard that the commute factor is one single reason why you would want to consider cities like Edison over Bridgewater.
If the commute time is the most important consideration then Edison trumps Bridgewater.

Bridgewater does not have direct NJ Transit business hr trains to NYC. Only five trains go directly to NY Penn and they are all after 9:00 am.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:06 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennase13 View Post
Sorry, I should have put it as people's perspective, especially by realtors. By far, this is their general opinion regarding the areas bordering/around Piscataway -

a) Edison - North Edison does have a couple of sections like like Park Ave & Inman Ave but they are very pricey. South edison has many old homes that need upgrade.
b) New Brunswick, North Plainfield - Crime
c) South Plainfield - Not many good/new homes, average area
d) Woodbridge, Metuchen - Old homes
e) East Brunswick - Good schools but mostly old houses
f) North Brunswick - Below average schools, commuting is a hassle.
g) Somerset/Franklin - Poor schools, Commute is a hassle.
h) Old Bridge - The only other town nearby comparable to Piscataway in terms of good/new houses and commute to NY

Did i miss any other town?
This list is a joke. Specifically as it pertains to North Brunswick. You have buses to NYC up and down route 1 and route 27 in North Brunswick. You can choose to drive 5 min to either the CoachUSA bus depot in New Brunswick or the East Brunswick Transport Center. You have another 5 min drive to the Jersey Ave Train station, not to mention, NJTRANSIT IS BUIDLING a new station in North Brunswick right now. That transit village just opened up a costco and target in the last few months. Not to mention the easy access to rts 1, 18, 27, and the NJTP.

As for the schools, according to NJMOnthly, North Brunswick is ranked 145 of 339 schools. That is SOLIDLY average. Smack middle of the bell curve There are multiple studies and anaylsis and rankings out there that when you account for the socioeconomic status, it performs quite higher.

Why come here to post BS that simply isnt true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey