U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM
 
14 posts, read 25,471 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
This thread is exclusively for Piscataway. Since this is a huge township comprising of various sections, can residents throw some light on various sections of Piscataway, their housing price, demographics, safety etc.

It is a known fact that homes in Piscataway are way better than its surrounding areas in terms of quality and price and I hope this thread will be beneficial not only for residents of Piscataway/Edison, but also to many probable seekers who would want to move here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
 
324 posts, read 506,910 times
Reputation: 314
It is a known fact that you work for Piscataway's public relations department.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 AM
 
17,375 posts, read 21,226,478 times
Reputation: 22686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennase13 View Post

It is a known fact that homes in Piscataway are way better than its surrounding areas in terms of quality and price.


Can you direct us to a reputable reference source that lists this "fact"?
No?
I didn't think so...

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM
 
14 posts, read 25,471 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post


Can you direct us to a reputable reference source that lists this "fact"?
No?
I didn't think so...

Sorry, I should have put it as people's perspective, especially by realtors. By far, this is their general opinion regarding the areas bordering/around Piscataway -

a) Edison - North Edison does have a couple of sections like like Park Ave & Inman Ave but they are very pricey. South edison has many old homes that need upgrade.
b) New Brunswick, North Plainfield - Crime
c) South Plainfield - Not many good/new homes, average area
d) Woodbridge, Metuchen - Old homes
e) East Brunswick - Good schools but mostly old houses
f) North Brunswick - Below average schools, commuting is a hassle.
g) Somerset/Franklin - Poor schools, Commute is a hassle.
h) Old Bridge - The only other town nearby comparable to Piscataway in terms of good/new houses and commute to NY

Did i miss any other town?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 02:34 PM
 
19 posts, read 76,454 times
Reputation: 20
I'm sorry I like Piscataway but I don't understand the point of this board.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 03:52 PM
 
17,375 posts, read 21,226,478 times
Reputation: 22686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj4178 View Post
I'm sorry I like Piscataway but I don't understand the point of this board.

If you were a real estate agent in Piscataway who was desperate to sell some properties, it would be perfectly understandable!
I just love "facts" which--in reality--are actually highly subjective opinions.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 1,838,113 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennase13 View Post
It is a known fact that homes in Piscataway are way better than its surrounding areas in terms of quality and price and I hope this thread will be beneficial not only for residents of Piscataway/Edison, but also to many probable seekers who would want to move here.
Known fact? I'd say it's a known fact that none of what you're saying is true.

That isn't to say that Piscataway is awful in all regards, but it's certainly nothing special and there are plenty of better towns around the area. It can be the right town for some people, it's not Camden, but it would not be a town I would be singling out for praise ever.

Quote:
a) Edison - North Edison does have a couple of sections like like Park Ave & Inman Ave but they are very pricey. South edison has many old homes that need upgrade.
b) New Brunswick, North Plainfield - Crime
c) South Plainfield - Not many good/new homes, average area
d) Woodbridge, Metuchen - Old homes
e) East Brunswick - Good schools but mostly old houses
f) North Brunswick - Below average schools, commuting is a hassle.
g) Somerset/Franklin - Poor schools, Commute is a hassle.
h) Old Bridge - The only other town nearby comparable to Piscataway in terms of good/new houses and commute to NY
Piscataway has schools just as bad as Franklin, and North Brunswick's are better. As are many other towns in the list.

I also have no idea why you keep talking about "old homes" as something bad about other towns. Most of Piscataway's housing stock is old. Sure, there is new construction in SOME parts of the town, it's a huge town. But most of the town was developed pre-1980, many parts long before that. The average in Piscataway is old.

And commuting from Piscataway is awful. 287 is very, very slow at best and it's interchanges turn into parking lots, 18 is just as bad, and even the local roads are traffic choked in much of the town. Might be better than Franklin, but not much else. And much of Piscataway isn't close to a train station either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 05:37 PM
 
Location: NJ
4,896 posts, read 10,957,237 times
Reputation: 4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennase13 View Post
Sorry, I should have put it as people's perspective, especially by realtors. By far, this is their general opinion regarding the areas bordering/around Piscataway -

a) Edison - North Edison does have a couple of sections like like Park Ave & Inman Ave but they are very pricey. South edison has many old homes that need upgrade.
b) New Brunswick, North Plainfield - Crime
c) South Plainfield - Not many good/new homes, average area
d) Woodbridge, Metuchen - Old homes
e) East Brunswick - Good schools but mostly old houses
f) North Brunswick - Below average schools, commuting is a hassle.
g) Somerset/Franklin - Poor schools, Commute is a hassle.
h) Old Bridge - The only other town nearby comparable to Piscataway in terms of good/new houses and commute to NY

Did i miss any other town?
Somehow you missed Highland Park which shares a border with Piscataway. HP is a nice town with very good schools.

You also missed Dunellen, Middlesex, and Bound Brook, though I wouldn't consider those to be great towns in general.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2014, 08:14 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 2,788,113 times
Reputation: 639
I have seen quite a few people praising Piscataway on these boards lately. Everyone seems to speak of the "new" developments being as potential for the town to improve in the future because people would choose those larger living spaces over a small cape in South Edison or parts of Woodbridge. This is a very small section of Piscataway.

And as for the local roads being traffic-choked most of the time, not to mention the extremely long lights they have too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
256 posts, read 525,294 times
Reputation: 139
Piscataway is a pretty average town but for being home to part of the greatest public university in America.

It would not be my choice to raise a family. No public transportation, average schools, and a ton of traffic.

East Brunswick has a lot of newer homes, some of the best schools in NJ, and a good bus service along 18, which is also traffic clogged. JP Stevens in Edison is also one of the best HS in NJ. Lots of newer homes in North Edison as well. Not many new homes in Highland Park, but also great schools and can walk across the bridge to New Brunswick.

The parts of New Brunswick closest to Pway are the safest and best and most interesting. The problem is of course the area closest to Plainfield which is terrible.

Bottom line, if you can afford EB or HP or North Edison and you have kids, you'll almost definitely choose those over Pway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top