Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM

50 posts, read 67,687 times

Advertisements

What is up will all the railroad style apartments in hudson county? I have never seen so many of these type of apartments, and call me picky but they must me the worst lay out I have ever seen. There is like no privacy...

Sorry just frustrated with finding a decent priced apartment that has walls lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
What is railroad style?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What is railroad style?
Description:
Railroad apartment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lots of railroad style apartments in Brooklyn also.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:58 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I never liked railroad apartments either. My friend used to live in one in Hoboken. You entered the apartment through the kitchen and then had to walk through his bedroom to get to the living room. And then if you had to use the bathroom you had to walk back through the bedroom and kitchen. The style probably doesn't matter as much to people living by themselves, but otherwise it's pretty awkward.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I never liked railroad apartments either. My friend used to live in one in Hoboken. You entered the apartment through the kitchen and then had to walk through his bedroom to get to the living room. And then if you had to use the bathroom you had to walk back through the bedroom and kitchen. The style probably doesn't matter as much to people living by themselves, but otherwise it's pretty awkward.
I could definitely see that getting very awkward for multiple people living in those type of houses.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 PM

50 posts, read 67,687 times
Yes exactly, its not as bad for a single person or even a couple, but i dont see how they can be good for a family? I am surprised when I go see an apartment and they advertise it as a 2 or 3 bedroom and it's railroad style, it's a bit annoying if you ask me. Can I imagine having to go through each room to get to another and your a family of 4 ? Eww . This has made my apartment search so much more difficult ... I really hope I find something soon though.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
This style is actually "shotgun". Railroad means all the rooms are in a row but with a hallway on one side. I imagine the reason you're seeing a lot is because you're looking for cheap apartments, and they're cheap for a reason.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubito1724 View Post
What is up will all the railroad style apartments in hudson county? I have never seen so many of these type of apartments, and call me picky but they must me the worst lay out I have ever seen. There is like no privacy...

Sorry just frustrated with finding a decent priced apartment that has walls lol
Their "layout" was designed to squeeze as many immigrant families as possible into a building during the Ellis Island years

Old 08-09-2014, 10:18 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
This style is actually "shotgun". Railroad means all the rooms are in a row but with a hallway on one side. I imagine the reason you're seeing a lot is because you're looking for cheap apartments, and they're cheap for a reason.
Exactly. These rooms only exist in old houses in rundown neighborhoods.

The only apartment like that I've ever seen was in Jersey City about 30 years ago. A secretary in my office was divorced with two little girls and on a very tight budget. She grew up in Jersey City and seemed proud to live in the "Heights", but I was kind of shocked by the apartment.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Their "layout" was designed to squeeze as many immigrant families as possible into a building during the Ellis Island years
Exactly!
When buildings are renovated, this awkward room arrangement is almost always changed, as people nowadays have very different standards of privacy, as compared to impoverished immigrants from a century ago (or more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey