Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the depressing topic. lol

Can someone recommend a good lawyer in North Jersey to get a Will? My wife and I were thinking other day seeing some news lately with both parents passing and left with small children, how do these children know where to get the savings that parents have?

We have 2 small children if something happened to us, I am sure their Grandparents will be there to take care of them, but I want them to have all our bank accounts available to them.

With a Will, how can the Lawyers know you are passing and get in touch with the children or grand parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
You will appoint an executor (usually a family member or close friend) to administer the will. I would recommend someone that you have frequent contact with (not some third cousin that lives out in the Rockies that you talk to every couple of years). I have been the executor of three wills and all have gone without issue once they passed probate. That being said, get some references for lawyers and once you pick one they will explain the whole process. Good luck to you,

Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
I can enthusiastically recommend Miles Winder, an attorney based in Bernardsville.

In addition to being the prosecutor for several municipalities, Miles has a private practice where he specializes in Trusts, Wills, and Estates, and he actually teaches this type of law to paralegal students at Raritan Valley Community College. I know him to be a personable, ethical, and highly competent attorney.

Miles S. Winder III
12 Quimby Lane
Bernardsville, New Jersey 07924
908-766-6869

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
We have 2 small children if something happened to us, I am sure their Grandparents will be there to take care of them, but I want them to have all our bank accounts available to them.

one of my primary concerns is who will take care of my children? its not that there arent people, its that i dont know how the law automatically selects the caregiver and not all my family are equally qualified. also, some probably think they are more qualified than i think they are. i put together something on legalzoom just to quickly establish that fact and some simple things. but i do plan on seeing a real attorney at some point to deal with the more complicated issues.

one thing id like to know in advance is some kind of pricing estimate/guideline. my dad uses someone but he is a fancy expensive manhattan lawyer. i dont use professionals that work in manhattan as a rule, i want local.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
I'm actually going through the estate planning process now with my lawyer that practices out of Glen Rock. I'm enrolled in a group legal plan through work (Hyatt Legal Plan) and luckily the participating attorneys cover things like wills, trusts, estate planning etc.

One thing I'm struggling with is whether or not to setup a living revocable trust in order to avoid probate but from what I understand, I can have most of my assets avoid probate by assigning a Transfer on Death or Payable on Death beneficiary designations to bank and brokerage accounts. I'm probably going to stick to a will with a testamentary trust so I can control when my child receives our assets, life insurance proceeds etc.

DM me if you're interested in speaking to my attorney (we used her when we bought our house and she was excellent). I just started the process and it's pretty daunting to tell you the truth. My lawyer warned me that it may take 6 months+ plus to complete the estate planning process not because she's busy but because it's fairly complex and most people don't focus on the issues.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i am most interested in costs. not necessarily because i want to cheapest possible option, but i want to budget for it appropriately. when you try to get that from lawyers, they want to talk to you have you meet them, etc. they are selling and i dont want to hear it from their end.

i have all my accounts set up to transfer on death to my my wife as the primary beneficiary and my children as the contingent beneficiaries. that covers the vast majority of my net worth, so that should be pretty easy at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey