Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times

Advertisements

I want to rent an apartment in Tenafly High School area - my son wants to go to that school. I need suggestions for
1. 1 bedroom apartments in the high school area which fall within the school bus commute area
2. bus route of the high school.

A quick response will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 03:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harini70 View Post
I want to rent an apartment in Tenafly High School area - my son wants to go to that school. I need suggestions for
1. 1 bedroom apartments in the high school area which fall within the school bus commute area
2. bus route of the high school.

A quick response will be highly appreciated.

Most landlords will not rent a one-bedroom apartment to parent(s) with a child. Look for a two-bedroom.

If you're thinking of renting an apartment & not living in it, just using it as an address to get in to the school district than that is not legal.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:01 PM

19,049 posts, read 25,155,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Most landlords will not rent a one-bedroom apartment to parent(s) with a child. Look for a two-bedroom.
+1

The idea of a parent and a teenage son sleeping in the same bedroom is...not a healthy one, in any respect.
Even if a landlord was to allow a parent (presumably the mother) and a teenage son to occupy a one bedroom apartment, this is NOT a good idea.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:25 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,861,619 times
Unless things have changed since I was there or my memory is faulty, there is no school bus system. Given that the middle and high-school are centrally located and the town is pretty small most kids just walk, and those that don't are picked up/dropped off by parents. Doubly so the apartments tend to be more centrally located than even the houses are; the furthest apartments from the highschool I can think of are the ones on Bliss and Engle right on the the Englewood border and even that is under two miles.

Also going to join the people who think this is a bad idea:

- If you are going to be living with him, a 2-bedroom will only cost a few hundred more a month and be a far better living situation.

- If he is living alone, I really question whether going to a better district is worth that. Both in terms of quality of life (his and yours) and in being able to focus on school and extracurriculars and, you know, be a kid, which he still is.

- If you are renting it to falsify an address more effectively you're still at risk of him getting kicked out halfway through highschool.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 08-16-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Unless things have changed since I was there or my memory is faulty, there is no school bus system. Given that the middle and high-school are centrally located and the town is pretty small most kids just walk, and those that don't are picked up/dropped off by parents. Doubly so the apartments tend to be more centrally located than even the houses are; the furthest apartments from the highschool I can think of are the ones on Bliss and Engle right on the the Englewood border and even that is under two miles.

Also going to join the people who think this is a bad idea:

- If you are going to be living with him, a 2-bedroom will only cost a few hundred more a month and be a far better living situation.

- If he is living alone, I really question whether going to a better district is worth that. Both in terms of quality of life (his and yours) and in being able to focus on school and extracurriculars and, you know, be a kid, which he still is.

- If you are renting it to falsify an address more effectively you're still at risk of him getting kicked out halfway through highschool.

If he's living alone than I'm not even certain that's legal if he's under 18.

If you're falsifying an address the school district can also come after you for "tution." Tens of thousands of dollars.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,096,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1

The idea of a parent and a teenage son sleeping in the same bedroom is...not a healthy one, in any respect.
Even if a landlord was to allow a parent (presumably the mother) and a teenage son to occupy a one bedroom apartment, this is NOT a good idea.

My family used to have 5 people in a one-bedroom, and we didn't have any issues. One of them can sleep in the living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
If you're thinking of renting an apartment & not living in it, just using it as an address to get in to the school district than that is not legal.
Let me ask everybody something: Why would they be asking about the bus to school if they didn't plan on living there?

In any case, the #166 bus runs along Riveredge Road and Engle Street, while the #753 runs along Madison Avenue. Both require a few blocks of walking from the bus stop to reach the school. (Also, the #753 unfortunately doesn't start running until 9AM, which is after school starts)

Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
My family used to have 5 people in a one-bedroom, and we didn't have any issues. One of them can sleep in the living room.

Let me ask everybody something: Why would they be asking about the bus to school if they didn't plan on living there?

In any case, the #166 bus runs along Riveredge Road and Engle Street, while the #753 runs along Madison Avenue. Both require a few blocks of walking from the bus stop to reach the school. (Also, the #753 unfortunately doesn't start running until 9AM, which is after school starts)

The way the OP was worded gave that impression. And, the OP has never come back to the thread.

Also, my Dad & his 4 brothers slept in one room (that was in the 1920 / 30's.)

We have friends that adopted a child & the state of NJ was very specific about how many bedrooms & that a sister & brother are not allowed to share a bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: