Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 PM

15 posts, read 16,566 times

Advertisements

No car, no kids, the studio I'm looking at is 977, including utilities, for a unit on the 22nd floor. What area constitutes the ironbound. I've seen it mentioned several times but don't come up with anything concrete when I google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Trust me when I tell you. I am from the area strongly consider Harrison. I have no reason to hate on Newark but you really dont want to be in that area.
From what I can see Harrison is just a few minutes away but comes with a significant price jump. Is the potential danger that great? The studio I am looking at is less than $1,000/month including utilities.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 AM

81 posts, read 184,308 times
Here's an old thread on safety in Newark. //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...afety-map.html
The Ironbound is the easternmost part of Newark. West edge is rt 21 (and railroad). North and east is the water and south are the rail yards for the port.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,408,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantbc View Post
From what I can see Harrison is just a few minutes away but comes with a significant price jump. Is the potential danger that great? The studio I am looking at is less than $1,000/month including utilities.
Again I am from the area. I no longer live in the area nor would I ever recommend it. I know a few people will say its not that bad but honestly its just not worth it. Why put a price on your safety and well being? While Harrison will be a tad more expensive its just a better quality of life. Do you really want to be looking over your shoulder every minute? Not worth it.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,421 times
Area around prudential center is pretty safe. I think there are a couple of luxury buildings in that area.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Area around prudential center is pretty safe. I think there are a couple of luxury buildings in that area.
That's only 2 blocks away...

Old 08-20-2014, 06:12 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,408,434 times
Quote:
Yeah when an event is going on and they need 500 cops to make sure its safe. What about everyday activities, never mind after dark. Again from the area and I dont see why someone who had a choice would subject themselves to the nonsense.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,078,969 times
Quote:
Quote:

The area around the Pru is fine and agreed there are more and more luxury residences being added to the existing stock (I'm also in the area on an increasingly consistent basis). But the Hallmark house is 2 blocks away...in the wrong direction. It's eerily quiet in the later hours and still has that 'look' to it. Needs more time IMO...

Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,421 times
Quote:

You should take some time to drive through the area a couple of nights before you commit to a lease.

I drove through the area around prudential center and along mulberry street around midnight a few weeks back and there was no activity.

However, a few blocks away there were a few homeless people and also people waiting on a bus.

Ultimately it will be up to you.

I don't think the area I mentioned is as bad as people are making it out to be.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,801,948 times
Well,try the Colonnades.
There are lots of people from Nyc living in them.

Also,Harrison is not just a tad bit expensive..its 10x expensive.
A one bedroom in Harrison is about $1500 on average.

plus,Harrison does not have the best of public transportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey