Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM

113 posts, read 331,465 times

Advertisements

I'm considering the purchase of a 20 year old 3- bedrm house in Monmouth country. Has insulated attic with new attic exhaust fan and unfinished basement. Gas heat and Central Air, with gas stove, and electric dryer. I believe the furnace is 15 years old so probably not that efficient anymore. AC unit is 10 years old.

Trying to do a monthly budget to see what my utility bills would be, specifically gas and electric.

Occupancy would be just me at the moment. My heating/cooling habits would be on a budget-mindset. I would have heat at 65F or lower in the winter while I wear loose sweatshirt and sweatpants. Sleep with heavy comforter at night. Would probably turn the heat down to 60 or lower during the day when I'm at the office. I would probably also seal the windows during the winter with that clear plastic wrap and tape. This is my typical winter habit for the last 10 years in my rental apartment.

During the summers, I would probably only use the AC on the hottest/most humid days and rely more on open windows/ventilation and the ceiling fans. Based on my current habits in my rental apt..cooling temp for the central air would be around 72-74F. Of course it would be turned off during the daytime while I'm at work. I think I only used my window AC unit about 20 times during this entire summer and only for a few hours at bedtime, though I admit its been pretty mild so far as summer temps go.

I've estimated a total of $200/month for combined gas/electric. About $20 for water per month.
Would these numbers be about right? Or am I way off?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
My water is about $25 per month and sewer is separate. I water the grass once a week and we're 2 adults and 1 child. You might want to estimate a bit higher for utilities - $250? Is your house 1 or 2 stories? I have a ranch house and new windows. It's an old house but ranches are pretty economical to heat and cool. I stay at home so it's a little higher than you would have it during the day but between keeping it cooler and using an electric fireplace to just get the living room a little warmer it might even out. We also have an unfinished basement and insulated attic. My husband added insulation in the basement rafters under the bathroom to add a little warmth as well.

just to add - a lot of people keep their homes hotter in the winter and cooler in the summer than you describe. People in my area have been complaining about astronomical electric bills when this is the best summer I can remember. I can count the number of times I've had the air on and last year I couldn't even leave the house many days because it was so hot and miserable. So you're going to hear some very high numbers from some. I like it cold at night when we sleep so it's not above 60. We don't have central air either but have wall units in each room but whenever possible I open the windows and use the ceiling fans. Ceiling fans are amazing!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:33 PM

184 posts, read 316,257 times
I have PSE&G for gas/electric, 3 br/2 bathroom. Wife stays at home with 6 month old. All new windows, split level house and just reinsualted attic with spray foam last October. Utilities have been anywhere from 120-200 a month.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Hi Irish,

This is a 2 story colonial house. I checked with the township website and sewer fees are $120/quarter. water is separate. The gas/electric/water are the only variables in cost that I don't know for sure since I've only been living in an 2 bedroom apt. and I have roomates currently.

I might give 60F a try while sleeping in the winter..the cold doesn't really bother me that much. I usually only wear light/med jackets during the winter months. Its the high humidity in the summer that gets me.

Maybe I'll raise my estimate to $250 as you suggested. Better to budget for the worst case than to under budget..

Thanks

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1981 View Post
I have PSE&G for gas/electric, 3 br/2 bathroom. Wife stays at home with 6 month old. All new windows, split level house and just reinsualted attic with spray foam last October. Utilities have been anywhere from 120-200 a month.

Coops,

Do you know how much your heating/cooling costs went down after installing your new windows? I'm assuming these are double glazed, energy-efficient/thermal windows?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2014, 02:30 PM

184 posts, read 316,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeDrone2014 View Post
Coops,

Do you know how much your heating/cooling costs went down after installing your new windows? I'm assuming these are double glazed, energy-efficient/thermal windows?

Thanks
I bought the house in August 2013 and the previous owner put all new windows in, so no idea, sorry.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 PM

NP. I'm sure the new windows help alot in cutting down your heating/cooling bills.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
We put new windows in just before our baby was born. So we went from 2 adults gone 12 hours a day, at least and keeping the house really cold at night. To having someone home all day and a baby that required warmth (lol) and our utilities didn't go up. New windows definitely help!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM

265 posts, read 597,648 times
You can call PSE&G and get actual costs for that house. Keep in mind that a large family spends more than one or two people.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:43 PM

Ahh good idea andrew. Totally forgot about that..PSE&G should have records of the past winters/summers..

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey