U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Georgia
23 posts, read 25,269 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Hello!

I have finally found a place and now working to secure utilities for my new location in Whippany. Can you recommend service providers for:

  • Cable
  • Wi-Fi
  • Gas
  • Electric
  • Phone
Thanks so much for all of your help thus far!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 AM
 
324 posts, read 502,782 times
Reputation: 314
There usually aren't many options for providers. For you it's probably just Cablevision for cable internet, phone and TV and Verizon for DSL and phone. There's also DirectTV (satellite). If those are your only options I'd recommend getting the Cablevision (Optimum) bundle.

For electric and gas you probably have no choice. There's JCP&L and PSE&G.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 AM
 
17,254 posts, read 20,997,937 times
Reputation: 22510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post

For electric and gas you probably have no choice. There's JCP&L and PSE&G.

Just to clarify for the OP, you don't get to choose between JCP&L and PSE&G.
You will be in the service area for one or the other, and hopefully it will NOT be JCP&L, as their reliability record is among the worst nationwide, while PSE&G is one of the best.
But...you don't get to choose which one services your home.

There are, of course, other options for your energy services, but in light of the problems over incredible rate increases and the subsequent law suit filed by the NJ Attorney General against some of these third-party providers, you would be well advised to use whichever one of the above-referenced gas & electric companies services your area.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 PM
 
2,990 posts, read 5,146,075 times
Reputation: 3078
Your neighbors should be able to answer your questions.

Also, look at the Hanover Township website, it may have answers, if not call someone at the Township:
Hanover Township, New Jersey > Home
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 PM
 
1,450 posts, read 3,136,059 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
There usually aren't many options for providers. For you it's probably just Cablevision for cable internet, phone and TV and Verizon for DSL and phone. There's also DirectTV (satellite). If those are your only options I'd recommend getting the Cablevision (Optimum) bundle.

For electric and gas you probably have no choice. There's JCP&L and PSE&G.
I believe Cablevision offers services in Whippany for TV, internet, and phone. Verizon also has services in several areas within Hanover Twp for all three services as well. As the OP is in a townhome community, it is highly likely that DirectTV will not be an option, since many Townhome community's bylaws forbid the installation of all those satellite dishes. JCP&L is now known as First Energy, and I believe they provide electricty to Whippany and NJ Natural Gas provides gas service.

HTH
KoalaNJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM
 
324 posts, read 502,782 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I believe Cablevision offers services in Whippany for TV, internet, and phone. Verizon also has services in several areas within Hanover Twp for all three services as well. As the OP is in a townhome community, it is highly likely that DirectTV will not be an option, since many Townhome community's bylaws forbid the installation of all those satellite dishes. JCP&L is now known as First Energy, and I believe they provide electricty to Whippany and NJ Natural Gas provides gas service.

HTH
KoalaNJ
I live in Whippany. I have JCP&L (which is a subsidiary of First Energy, and still goes by JCP&L) for electric and PSE&G for gas. But of course, service availability for any of the above companies may vary within the town.

Good point about satellite TV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Georgia
23 posts, read 25,269 times
Reputation: 22
You all rock! Thank you so much.

Haven't moved in so don't know neighbors yet but have been researching as much as I can. I have found that there is not one provider for both gas and electric so I will have to use First Energy and PSE&G. Optimum's bundle package has been recommended for cable, internet, and phone. So going to check it out.

As I get this all wrapped up over the next week, I will post my results to help another newbie in the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Georgia
23 posts, read 25,269 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
I live in Whippany. I have JCP&L (which is a subsidiary of First Energy, and still goes by JCP&L) for electric and PSE&G for gas. But of course, service availability for any of the above companies may vary within the town.

Good point about satellite TV.

So, as pointed out in this post...I had set up service with JCP&L and PSE&G. I was able to process one online and the other had to be by phone. Simple process for both.

Working to get cable, phone, etc. established and it will be with Optimum. Just wanted to post for anyone that may benefit from this in the future.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Location: NJ & NV
5,655 posts, read 14,917,528 times
Reputation: 2287
Also I recommend esp in that area having an up to date digital TV antenna system. You will get about 40 channels of highest digital quality TV free and it will stay up when the pay TV systems fail. You might just realize you don't need them too much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top