Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

Definitely Uber.

And use a delivery service for groceries. lots of towns give you the ability to severely limit car use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I don't see how car-free living is the least bit desirable in a suburban area. Do you really want to limit your life to a walkable 4-block radius? I live in the suburbs and use my car to go everywhere. You simply can't beat the convenience. Yes it's nice to take walks to the farmer's market and little things like that, but otherwise, forget it.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 16,251 times
I agree with the person who suggested living in South Orange, NJ because the trains are reliable and a lot of Radio Station Employee's live in South Orange because of the easy access to NYC. I have taken a train close to Midnight and if I miss the Bus home, I can take a cab that only cost about $8.00.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 34,896 times
Not sure I'd heard of Uber before. Thanks for all the recs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't see how car-free living is the least bit desirable in a suburban area. Do you really want to limit your life to a walkable 4-block radius? I live in the suburbs and use my car to go everywhere. You simply can't beat the convenience. Yes it's nice to take walks to the farmer's market and little things like that, but otherwise, forget it.
In the right towns, car-free living in the 'burbs is easy and is both necessary and more desirable (for us) than city living. (Did it for decades.) And *far* more expansive than a 4-block radius. Totally worth it for us; the hard part is finding the right town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanaJolie View Post
I agree with the person who suggested living in South Orange, NJ because the trains are reliable and a lot of Radio Station Employee's live in South Orange because of the easy access to NYC. I have taken a train close to Midnight and if I miss the Bus home, I can take a cab that only cost about $8.00.
Very interesting! Great to know. Thanks so much!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 PM

9 posts, read 23,350 times
I live in Upper Montclair in a happily one car household. Just last weekend I got around this by taking the very last (1:22am) train to Secaucus and then an Uber home to Montclair for around 22 dollars. Totally worth it plus faster/cheaper than taking the path to the end and a cab from there. Uber all the way!

For us in Upper Montclair, we can walk to the A&P or Kings (not the best but totally doable), CVS, parks, transit options. I still use fresh direct and pea pod from time to time especially when working later, but we have really made walking work for us. I rarely use the car M-F. I also like taking the 28 bus (free with my monthly NJT pass) down Valley to Bloomfield Ave and then I don't have to deal with the horrible parking options.

You can so swing it.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I agree. Also, this isn't Florida, the weather isn't great year-round. I wouldn't want to walk to the grocery store during winter when the roads are slick carrying back one bag. This doesn't sound practical. You can have a car and decide to walk if the weather is good and you have the time.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:42 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
Cab?!?!?! No, no, no.

Use "Uber"

Download the app on your smart phone. You put in your CC information. Load the app once you're signed in.

Any Uber driver will pick you up, take you where you want to go and you'll have a fantastic experience.

Oh...and it's about 40% less than driving a cab. The Uber driver can't speed and they are very friendly and clean because you rate them at the end of your ride. If the rating drops too low, they get fired. It is a win-win for everyone.

Uber, seriously.
Love Uber! Use it all the time. And I get a receipt emailed to me right after being dropped off.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 PM

20 posts, read 43,860 times
If living in Montclair for late trips to the city you can either park your car in the Ironbound or Harrison if taking the Path or if going South Orange route you can park near the South Orange station late at night or in the weekends.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:17 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesofOnix View Post
If living in Montclair for late trips to the city you can either park your car in the Ironbound or Harrison if taking the Path or if going South Orange route you can park near the South Orange station late at night or in the weekends.
I agree about taking the Path since the trains run all night. If you take it from Harrison be careful where you park. Some of the lots around the Path station have time limits. I parked in a lot across the street one day and the guy told me I had to be out by midnight or risk getting towed.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:22 AM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
I'll give South Orange another mention. I moved here back in February from the city and we were and still are a one car household. We were able to find a house that's about a 15 minute walk to the train station. I've taken Ubers home from around Newark Broad ($15), Newark Penn ($20) and Grove St in Jersey City ($25) and never had a problem with a driver not wanting to take me home.

There are also more weekend train options than in Montclair.

For groceries, my wife is a Trader Joe's junkie, so she usually will drive to the one in Millburn. There is a 'fancy overpriced' grocery store adjacent to the train station and a Stop & Shop note too far from us, but will groceries in tow there's no reason not to drive. We do have a brand new craft beer and wine store that opened up 2 blocks away so getting a six pack of proper beer is now no longer needs a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey