Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 884 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are hoping to purchase a home in the next 1-2 years and are looking for suggestions of towns to look into. We love Maplewood/South Orange, but we are priced out of the nicer parts when factoring in taxes. I also love rural areas and dream of having a mini farm with a couple of horses (I grew up in Princeton-area with this type of lifestyle) but that may be saved for retirement years.
We currently live in Weehawken (renting). I work I'm Hoboken, she works in Hackensack (occasionally has to go to Paterson) We are ok with a commute of about 1 hour (driving, but I am open to public transit too. She needs vehicle for work). Luckily, there is flexibility in both of our jobs to avoid rush hour commute times and 3-4 day workweek instead of 5.

Info from sticky:
Where are you coming from? Weehawken, NJ
Why are you moving? We want to purchase a house and get out of the busy, city area
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Hoboken & Hackensack

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? $325,000-425,000 (taxes really play into this)
What kind of place are you looking for ? Single family (would possibly consider townhouse); 3 bed/2 bath (4 bedrooms would be ideal but 3 would work) with a decent yard

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Partner, 11 year old son (hoping to add 1-2 more kids in the future)
Do you need/want good public schools? Good public schools would be great but I do not expect to get top tier schools in our budget. Private schools would be an option.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) the most important thing would be LGBT-friendly, since we are a two-mom household; diverse; We like a walkable downtown area, family-oriented, social/friendly.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) #1 would be lgbt friendly, then: non-city (suburban or rural-ish); commute; public schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM

271 posts, read 567,398 times
I highly recommend Fair Lawn. You get 2 train stations which can easily take you into Hoboken. Hackensack (as well as Paterson) is a really quick drive. I don't really know what makes a town LGBT friendly but one of my son's classmates has 2 moms and as far as I know, it has not been an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey