Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Really, is this the best you can come up with?

In the meantime it's one year later and they have nothing on Christie.

Maybe you should direct your attention to how Obama is playing golf while the world is burning, just like Nero.

One round of beers to you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
The Rep/Dem debate is so over. Christie,Rubio,Clinton,Obama whatever whatever. Honestly they are all pretty horrible. Some more horrible for certain groups and vice versa. Next election go to the polls and close your eyes and "pull the lever". When a great country with so many qualified people can only muster the above and The Bush clan you know we are in trouble.

Regarding the Newark schools politicians should not be counted on to "fix" schools. Parents and communities should be doing that but the way society is going trust me dont hold your breath. Its very similar to us (USA) wanting other countries to be "free". If those countries dont want it from within, it will never take hold. Please see Iraq for proof of this.
And a round of beers for you as well!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:34 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,622,760 times
Quote:
Eiher way, do you really think the 49 other states care about the internal chaos in NJ?

But in reality the Newark school system has been a disaster since the stone age.
It's been my experience in inner city schools that you are going to have kids who will not take advantage of the education. But even those failing schools manage to educated motivated kids with involved parents. There obviously are tons of parents in Newark who care about their kids' education given how many have spoken out about the One Newark plan. Their children's educations are being stalled and the parents ability to go about routine daily life (get kid to school, get to work, make sure kid gets home safely) has been totally compromised, and those that do have a concept of community have been been silenced.

Do I think the rest of country cares about Newark? Not right now. If the Star Ledger was actually doing it's job, more people would know about this. It's not hard to repeat Christie's two awful lines: "I don't care about the community of Newark, we run their schools; they don't" and "I am the decider".

I read today that this is the 40th anniversary of the Boston bussing disaster. The marginalization and dictating by suburbanites to the residents of Boston sounds much like what is happening in Newark today. If you ask anyone who lived through Boston schooling in the late 70s, whether they are white or black, they all will say they just want their kids to walk down the street and go to school...much like they do in suburbia.

It's a shame Christie thinks so little of Newark residents that they don't deserve governance over their own schools.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 AM

11,342 posts, read 16,697,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
It's been my experience in inner city schools that you are going to have kids who will not take advantage of the education. But even those failing schools manage to educated motivated kids with involved parents. There obviously are tons of parents in Newark who care about their kids' education given how many have spoken out about the One Newark plan. Their children's educations are being stalled and the parents ability to go about routine daily life (get kid to school, get to work, make sure kid gets home safely) has been totally compromised, and those that do have a concept of community have been been silenced.

Do I think the rest of country cares about Newark? Not right now. If the Star Ledger was actually doing it's job, more people would know about this. It's not hard to repeat Christie's two awful lines: "I don't care about the community of Newark, we run their schools; they don't" and "I am the decider".

I read today that this is the 40th anniversary of the Boston bussing disaster. The marginalization and dictating by suburbanites to the residents of Boston sounds much like what is happening in Newark today. If you ask anyone who lived through Boston schooling in the late 70s, whether they are white or black, they all will say they just want their kids to walk down the street and go to school...much like they do in suburbia.

It's a shame Christie thinks so little of Newark residents that they don't deserve governance over their own schools.
If you're going to quote Christie, please get it correct.

“I don’t care about the community criticism. We run the school district in Newark, not them.â€

Big difference with knocking the community and those who critcize it.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
Quote:

“I don’t care about the community criticism. We run the school district in Newark, not them.â€

So you'd be cool if 3 of your elementary age kids were shipped off to 3 different schools all over the city? That's what "One Newark" has done to some families.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
So you'd be cool if 3 of your elementary age kids were shipped off to 3 different schools all over the city? That's what "One Newark" has done to some families.
No I wouldn't. But my post was on the quote, not the actions.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:

“I don’t care about the community criticism. We run the school district in Newark, not them.”

Thank you for correct that. He's still an jack---. I suppose you're okay with his condescending remark to a Newark high school student who asked a very genuine question of why he won't do a town hall meeting in Newark? My guess is no. But he still deserves to be taken to the woodshed over his rudeness and treatment of Newark residents.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you for correct that. He's still an jack---. I suppose you're okay with his condescending remark to a Newark high school student who asked a very genuine question of why he won't do a town hall meeting in Newark? My guess is no. But he still deserves to be taken to the woodshed over his rudeness and treatment of Newark residents.
Good, bad or indifferent, the people of Newark kept on electing the same party decade after decade and nothing changed for the bettermint of them. Only the people who swore they would help them, helped themselves.

You really want change, then stop voting the dems who claim to be for the "people" and who aren't doing jack gto help them.

Stop drinking the dem kool-aid. It's killing you and your families.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Good, bad or indifferent, the people of Newark kept on electing the same party decade after decade and nothing changed for the bettermint of them. Only the people who swore they would help them, helped themselves.

You really want change, then stop voting the dems who claim to be for the "people" and who aren't doing jack gto help them.

Stop drinking the dem kool-aid. It's killing you and your families.
Excuse me. The school system has been under state control for 20 years. The election of Baraka was based on the community's frustration with the tone deaf superintendent and the governor who does not give a hoot that he is negatively affecting their lives. The community played by the rules in terms of school board meetings which were a sham and electing people they wanted. It's the state that doesn't care.

Finally, that last line of your's is concerning. I'm not black like you assume, do not live in Newark, have voted for more republicans than democrats in the last few years, and have an intact family (just like many in Newark do). You are a racist dirtbag.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Excuse me. The school system has been under state control for 20 years. The election of Baraka was based on the community's frustration with the tone deaf superintendent and the governor who does not give a hoot that he is negatively affecting their lives. The community played by the rules in terms of school board meetings which were a sham and electing people they wanted. It's the state that doesn't care.

Finally, that last line of your's is concerning. I'm not black like you assume, do not live in Newark, have voted for more republicans than democrats in the last few years, and have an intact family (just like many in Newark do). You are a racist dirtbag.
Ok, you got me on the state control for the BOE, but my comment was directed to the people of Newark in general, period.

As far as being racist (I'll excuse you for dirtbag), you're more than welcome to come to my family reunion which I host every year. It's sort of like the United Nations in the backyard as we have a very diverse family and everyone is invited and welcome.

BTW, where did I assume you were black. Are you saying that all residents of Newark are black. Sort of racist to think that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey