Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 AM

9 posts, read 9,885 times

Advertisements

Hi Flyonpa,

Yup...of course you're right. He currently lives with us (we're lucky enough to live close to most of the good universities in Dublin) and I would find it so hard to get on a plane and "leave" my baby at home. Ok he's 20 but you know what I mean! He will be very young graduating...just 21...he is not thrilled with his current BA choice so was thinking this would be a brilliant opportunity to switch degree programmes...he has been salivating over Rutgers all day! I wonder if it is difficult to get a place there?
I am finding the visa stuff fairly bewildering at the moment - waiting for advice from immigration lawyer from mothership!!

thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiamhBee View Post
Hi Flyonpa,

Yup...of course you're right. He currently lives with us (we're lucky enough to live close to most of the good universities in Dublin) and I would find it so hard to get on a plane and "leave" my baby at home. Ok he's 20 but you know what I mean! He will be very young graduating...just 21...he is not thrilled with his current BA choice so was thinking this would be a brilliant opportunity to switch degree programmes...he has been salivating over Rutgers all day! I wonder if it is difficult to get a place there?
I am finding the visa stuff fairly bewildering at the moment - waiting for advice from immigration lawyer from mothership!!

thank you...
Regarding Rutgers and tuition costs... I'm not sure if your son would be considered a NJ resident for tuition purposes. I think residency of at least 12 months is usually required but you should contact the school directly to understand when he would be eligible for the reduced in-state resident tuition.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Regarding Rutgers and tuition costs... I'm not sure if your son would be considered a NJ resident for tuition purposes. I think residency of at least 12 months is usually required but you should contact the school directly to understand when he would be eligible for the reduced in-state resident tuition.

This page may answer your questions about Rutgers residency requirements:
Students - Rutgers, Office Of The Registrar - New Brunswick

A quick read seems to say that you have to show a prior year's NJ tax return. So, the 12 month NJ residency requirement seems accurate.

I wonder if community colleges also have a residency requirement?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Yes, But her son is past Community College status, he is a Senior in college.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes, But her son is past Community College status, he is a Senior in college.

Some community colleges, i.e. Mercer County, lets students take all their courses at the community college & obtain a 4-year degree. Mercer County Community College - Student Services

Perhaps a community college nearer to where the OP will live also offers this?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 PM

465 posts, read 607,337 times
Now that I know which schools your sons have studied at (and congrats to you and your husband at that) I think you should leave him home to finish his degree, unless you want to shell out some serious bucks for NYU or a comparable school. If you do want to shell out some bucks, I'm sure the schools would consider him a "special" student and let him enroll as a non-degree student for a couple of semesters. He can find a way to come here in May 2015.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 AM

9 posts, read 9,885 times
Guys, thanks so much for all your research on this...I really appreciate it. Yeah...it is much smarter to leave him here in Ireland (gulp) as he has just one year to go to finish his degree. He will be ready to come to the US in May 2014 and could then start looking at a graduate programme. It makes sense in my head, just killing me everywhere else!! I am trying to finish my own MSc so will probably stay in Ireland until Christmas to get the bulk of my research done so will have him with me for another few months...(Irish Mammy Syndrome).

Hey can I ask about a specific apartment building on this forum? There is a new one being finished currently in Morristown and it looks great - takes large dogs, decent floor size, walkable distance to town etc but I have read that this street area might be a bit dodgy (as we would say here!! Rough? Undesirable? Less salubrious? Don't know what least offensive adjective I should use...!). It is in Prospect St...What do you think?

Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
You will fit right in living in Morristown.
I do agree to let the younger one stay in Dublin to finish his degree. Any other family there for him to fall back on?

Don't know if you know, but CIE Tours has their US headquarters in Morristown.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:16 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Eeek....they are going to be very disappointed with us! My kid was a linebacker and captain of the American Football team at college, and with exception of my hubby (who actually likes Irish trad music) we are all hopeless at "being Irish" I suspect...I cannot bear the taste of Guinness sadly!

That's OK--Jersey is very ethnically diverse, so you can try all sort of foods and beverages once you get here. Of course, they probably already also have the same things in Dublin!

Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Guys, thanks so much for all your research on this...I really appreciate it. Yeah...it is much smarter to leave him here in Ireland (gulp) as he has just one year to go to finish his degree. He will be ready to come to the US in May 2014 and could then start looking at a graduate programme. It makes sense in my head, just killing me everywhere else!! I am trying to finish my own MSc so will probably stay in Ireland until Christmas to get the bulk of my research done so will have him with me for another few months...(Irish Mammy Syndrome).

Hey can I ask about a specific apartment building on this forum? There is a new one being finished currently in Morristown and it looks great - takes large dogs, decent floor size, walkable distance to town etc but I have read that this street area might be a bit dodgy (as we would say here!! Rough? Undesirable? Less salubrious? Don't know what least offensive adjective I should use...!). It is in Prospect St...What do you think?
Prospect St is a very short and narrow street, only a couple of blocks long. There is very little in street parking, so hopefully the condo/apt has a parking deck/garage. You are also just the other side of Speedwell Ave, a very main artery. That area is currently in transition It used to be very sketchy, but in the past couple of years, it is being "gentrified". There are a couple of high end luxury apt and condo's, sat next to what used to be rather run down row and semi detached housing, which is mostly occupied by those on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale. They have been cleaning those up a bit as of late. It is not a very dangerous place to walk, but it's definitely not "Society Hill" either. That section of Speedwell Ave is also just beginning a major re-development program, so you'll have plenty of construction noise and nuisance.

The Hollow, the area you really want avoid due to crime, drugs, and violence, is located just the other side of Speedwell. More precisely the area the other side of Spring Street and along MLK ave and up by the cemetary. The housing projects, just off Spring, Flagler, Clyde Potts, and MLK are at the center of the hollow. the area from the projects up towards Lake Pocahontas and Speedwell Lake is also considered part of the "bad part of town". The park there is often the scene of gang turf wars, and drug dealings, especially after dark.

I've lived very close to Morristown for 20+ yrs, as well as grew up in Morris Co, and am very familiar with the town, frequently, shopping, dining, etc. in town so if you have more questions, feel free to ask, I'm happy to assist. DM me if you'd like.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey