Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:37 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis44 View Post
My guess is that factors like international students or perhaps data inconsistencies contributing to 90%+ of that difference and teaching only SAT prep is a minimal factor if anything. SAT scores are 90%+ correlated to a district's wealth anyway, i highly doubt that a couple of wealthy districts like Princeton are teaching so differently that when these wealthy educated kids get to college they can't cut it. It doesn't take a genius to stick around in college for a couple of years. Personally i think its a poor variable to include in the rankings of high schools.

Magnet schools might be another story, but i think directly comparing magnet schools to regular "accept everyone in the district" schools is pointless anyway.
I agree. They have no business being ranked on the same list. But as long as they are, the college attendance criteria seems to even out the playing field. As long as we are citing examples, McNair has very good SAT scores, but only 76% of the students follow through and attend or stay in college. That is why it dropped in the rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
SAT scores are a TERRIBLE indicator. I am an engineering professional, do VERY well. I went to a HS school that is always in the bottom of these rankings. I had ZERO SAT Prep. My SAT prep was grabbing a breakfast sandwich at wawa before the exam that saturday am. I didnt score off the charts. I have ZERO doubt in my mind that if i/my parents knew about SAT prep I would have scored better. Some of these kids take 3 years of SAT prep. All it tells you is that these kids parents are more wealthy and can afford the tutoring.

Thats all these lists are good for anyway. To tell you the amount of wealth in each town. If your town is in the top 10, you agree with the rankings, if not, "they are flawed".

EVERYONE pretty much assumes that US NEws is the GOLD STANDARD for college rankings. They put together a HS ranking this year. When everyone who overpaid for a home in an ELITE community saw their town wasnt at the top, they automatically dismissed it. Hypocrites

Top New Jersey High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News
There is a lot of truth to this. My score went up 230 points after I did the SAT prep course. That was a lot back then when the scoring was out of 1600 possible points.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:51 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There is a lot of truth to this. My score went up 230 points after I did the SAT prep course. That was a lot back then when the scoring was out of 1600 possible points.
So that's why I'm not living in Short Hills. I never took a prep course!!! Can't wait to tell Dr. Leo Marvin about this one! Thanks again mom and dad.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I didn't even KNOW there were SAT prep classes when I was in HS. I knew about Kaplan prep books, that's about it.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I didn't even KNOW there were SAT prep classes when I was in HS. I knew about Kaplan prep books, that's about it.
For several months, I had to spend every Saturday, all day long there. It was torture. Lots of practice tests and classes on test taking strategies.

I think the course I took was given by Kaplan, but we are going back almost 30 years so I'm not sure.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM

165 posts, read 350,999 times
Quote:
Me too. And then we couldn't afford Kaplan. Can easily see how the wealthy make a Kaplan course as standard pratice.

Hate to say it but I'm budgeting for exactly this when the time comes.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
I was a horrible test taker. Big time test anxiety. I took my SATs twice, got 700 first time, 800 second time. Took an SAT prep course at Huntington Learning Center between them. I went to a crappy high school and still did well in college.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelairProspect View Post
Me too. And then we couldn't afford Kaplan. Can easily see how the wealthy make a Kaplan course as standard pratice.

Hate to say it but I'm budgeting for exactly this when the time comes.
My kids are taking a prep class (local, not Kaplan). I'm a sheep, what can I say, lol.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
My kids are taking a prep class (local, not Kaplan). I'm a sheep, what can I say, lol.
My parents were stereotypical neurotic Jews that would have mortgaged their house if it meant getting a good SAT score.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
How/why did East and South Brunswick increase so much in the rankings in just 2 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey