U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM

3,443 posts, read 4,089,319 times

Advertisements

Your budget will determine where you can go.

If Hoboken is out of your range then Edgewater will be also.

You could look into Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, North Bergen, and West New York.

All affordable and all have around the clock bus transportation to NYC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:24 PM

6,852 posts, read 17,618,830 times
For a short commute to East 58th Street, the answer may not be New Jersey.
Look into Long Island City or Astoria in Queens.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM

3,984 posts, read 6,501,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Doesn't the train from Rutherford going into Hoboken? He'd switch to the PATH at Hoboken & then take subway in Manhattan to his office.

The more trains you take each day, the more possibility of delays.
Can switch at Secaucus for Penn Station train. Thousands of people do it daily. There are also buses direct to Port Authority.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:08 PM

175 posts, read 308,299 times
Cranford. Good area.some apts in your price range. Safe. Walkable downtown. Longer commute.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:20 PM

3,309 posts, read 3,392,178 times
Weehawken or West New York/North Bergen on Boulevard East? Should be able to do a 1 bedroom with a parking spot for ~$1,600, definitely under $2K (it's a cheaper area but the parking spot raises value in and of itself and limits you to the fancier buildings). You can run along Boulevard East on the edge of the Palisades Cliffs with an incredible view of the NYC skyline. Constant buses run along the boulevard in and out of the city; you'd probably be looking at 45 minutes give or take door-to-door on average - more in the morning and you'd budget over an hour in the morning due to the risk of the tunnel being blocked up with traffic, but potentially less in the afternoon.

You could also do Edgewater near the ferry. 13 minute ferry ride down to 40th street on the west side, then walk or take one of the ferry buses (given how that part of midtown gets in the morning though I'd walk over the bus unless it was raining hard) to the shuttle at time square and subway from there, or on nice days in the summer take an extra 20 minutes but be healthier and walk the whole way once off the ferry. It's a more expensive area but you can again do $1,600-$2K for a 1-bed with parking at some of the older/cheaper apartment complexes around there.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,957 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am currently looking into West New York area and getting a few apartments within my budget. But to travel from there to NYC I have to take bus. How badly the bus service be affected in winters?

I am also considering to up my budget to get an apartment in Jersey city but none of the high rise buildings have good reviews? Can anyone suggest some particular buildings which I can look into?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 PM

565 posts, read 599,048 times
West New York, Edgewater, and Wee****en are good places to start. I know a lot of the buildings in the waterfront area of Jersey City (I used to live there and have friends there still)--which buildings are you curious about? What budget are you considering going up to?

We live in Hoboken now, but I have friends in Weehawken (check out Gregory st. in particular--very nice street and walking distance to Hoboken. I have two friends with condos on that street. There are currently a few places for rent on that street in your budget).

I looked on Zillow just now and saw a handful of 1 bedrooms in Edgewater and W. New York. Those are both nice areas--there are also ferry terminals...more expensive but then you get the free ferry bus in Manhattan that will take you as far east as 57th and 3rd. Obviously, crosstown traffic isn't great but if you go on the early side of rush hour, you'll be fine. I've met my husband for HH drinks after work and have taken the ferry +cross town ferry bus and it still only took me 30 min total.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:23 PM

565 posts, read 599,048 times
Weird...Weehawken was filtered?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:49 AM

33,031 posts, read 24,828,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Weird...Weehawken was filtered?

Was there a typo in the original?

Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,067,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regenceronit View Post
I am relocating from Sunnyvale, CA to NYC to join a new job. My company office is on the 58th street E.
What are the good and safe places nearby with reasonable commute time to my office.
Following are some details explaining my situation:
1. I am married but no kids. Me and wife are in mid 20's.
2. I want to rent a reasonably good 1 bed room apartment ( preferably have parking on-site). My budget is 2k/month. I want the neighborhood to be safe, I like taking a walk at night or go for a run in the morning.
3. I want my commute to be somewhere around 1 hr door - door.

This will be my first time moving to East coast and I am scared after reading some of the threads here regarding the safety in some of the cities in NJ.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.
Move to West New York in one of the condos next to the ferry or if you wanna save, go up the cliff in West New York and you'll save a good amount. There are lots of 1 bedroom apts downstair and upstair W. New York with a ferry that takes you right to 38th street Ferry dock with free buses to take you right in front of your workplace. It will cost you a bit more than deeper in NJ, but overall you save and your psychology will remain intact. Trust me, saving money to live deeper in NJ sucks for folks in their 20's and your gasoline costs will reflect it because you'll always be stuck in traffic. If you're in West New York on the river, you'll retain your sanity. Trust me, I've seen many many people go through this. You also get a light rail/path that takes you to hoboken and easy access to NYC to hang out with other 20 year olds. Trust me.

Once you have kids, you can move out to the burbs.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 09-14-2014 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey