U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,965 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Sunnyvale, CA to NYC to join a new job. My company office is on the 58th street E.
What are the good and safe places nearby with reasonable commute time to my office.
Following are some details explaining my situation:
1. I am married but no kids. Me and wife are in mid 20's.
2. I want to rent a reasonably good 1 bed room apartment ( preferably have parking on-site). My budget is 2k/month. I want the neighborhood to be safe, I like taking a walk at night or go for a run in the morning.
3. I want my commute to be somewhere around 1 hr door - door.

This will be my first time moving to East coast and I am scared after reading some of the threads here regarding the safety in some of the cities in NJ.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 PM

5,659 posts, read 14,945,663 times
The only cities that are scary are the ones near NYC and Camden, lol. Everything else is reasonably cool

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,156,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The only cities that are scary are the ones near NYC and Camden, lol. Everything else is reasonably cool

Hoboken, Edgewater & plenty of other towns that are very close to the City are not "scary."

I guess it depends if the OP wants something more suburban & doesn't mind commuting, or if he wants to be close to the City & have a quick commute.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 AM

175 posts, read 309,244 times
Just an FYI - the subway ride is easier from Grand Central to East 58 (1 stop) vs. the subway ride from Penn station to East 58 (walk to Herald Square then 4 or 5 stops).

Old 09-05-2014, 07:54 AM

377 posts, read 390,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluderby View Post
Just an FYI - the subway ride is easier from Grand Central to East 58 (1 stop) vs. the subway ride from Penn station to East 58 (walk to Herald Square then 4 or 5 stops).
A train to Penn and then this in an hour door to door is near impossible from a lot of NJ. With a $2k budget I would start your search in Hoboken if you don't mind living in a city. Then you can take the PATH to Herald Square. This could be around 45 min depending on your walk to the Hoboken station.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM

3,984 posts, read 6,515,372 times
Working on the East Side will add time to your commute. An hour without being right on the Hudson (Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken) is not realiastic. Start in Hudson County and if it's too crowded, look out in Union, Bergen or Passaic Counties. njtransit.com is a good place to get a feel of how the trains are laid out and where the different bus routes go. NJ is by and large safe with the exception of our cities like Paterson, Newark, some parts of Jersey City, Camden, Irvington, East Orange. But you probably wouldn't want to move there to begin with.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,965 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind my commute to be slightly more say 1 - 1.5 hr. I just want to rent an apartment in a safe neighborhood. All the apartments in Hoboken & East side of jersey city are around 2.7 - 2.8k or even more, which is out of my budget .

I am getting some deals in Ironbound/Forest Hill, Newark but as you guys already mentioned Newark is not a safe city to live in so that's out of question now.

How is Secaucus or Bayonne? Are they safe? I know there will be more commute time from these places but I am getting apartments within my budget.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regenceronit View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind my commute to be slightly more say 1 - 1.5 hr. I just want to rent an apartment in a safe neighborhood. All the apartments in Hoboken & East side of jersey city are around 2.7 - 2.8k or even more, which is out of my budget .

I am getting some deals in Ironbound/Forest Hill, Newark but as you guys already mentioned Newark is not a safe city to live in so that's out of question now.

How is Secaucus or Bayonne? Are they safe? I know there will be more commute time from these places but I am getting apartments within my budget.

Secaucus or Bayonne are fine.

From Secaucus you can hop on NJ Transit & be at NY Penn Station (7th Ave & 33rd St.) very quickly.

From Bayonne you can take the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to the PATH train. The PATH will get you to 6th Ave. & 33rd.

You'll then take the subway to work. How far east on 58th St. are you working?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:58 PM

3,984 posts, read 6,515,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regenceronit View Post

I'd check out Rutherford, Lyndhurst & Clifton as well. Maybe 10-15 mins past Secaucus on the train but all safe communities close to everything. The only shady part of Clifton is the part by the Paterson border (Crooks Ave) and even thats not so bad.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I'd check out Rutherford, Lyndhurst & Clifton as well. Maybe 10-15 mins past Secaucus on the train but all safe communities close to everything. The only shady part of Clifton is the part by the Paterson border (Crooks Ave) and even thats not so bad.

Doesn't the train from Rutherford going into Hoboken? He'd switch to the PATH at Hoboken & then take subway in Manhattan to his office.

The more trains you take each day, the more possibility of delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey