Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 AM

15 posts, read 27,503 times

Advertisements

Hi

We're in the process of searching for new a home. We're willing to spend up to $700k and would like to buy a colonial. Our goal for moving is to put our 2 kids (Grades 3 and 1) in good/excellent public schools.

We've narrowed our search to 4 towns: Livingston, Berkeley Heights, New Providence and Basking Ridge.

There is also a potential that one of us would have to work in NYC.

Would anyone have any recommendations or feedback in regards to these 4 towns or any other towns that would be recommended?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 AM

137 posts, read 183,010 times
There must be 73 threads on each town - I'd search a bit first.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:03 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,867 times
They're all nice towns. Basking Ridge is physically a good 20-30 minutes further out than the other 3 regardless of if you're taking a train or driving.

Livingston doesn't have train service within it's borders and has traffic issues of it's own. Simply getting TO a station from the western side of Livingston could take quite a while at rush hour. I also have no idea what parking for non-residents is like in Millburn, Maplewood, etc.

As far as other towns to look at, Summit and Long Hill Twp are obvious neighbors to the towns you're already looking at, and Summit has the best train service of any town in the area.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 AM

15 posts, read 27,503 times
Thanks for the feedback. How about price range and value? Would anyone thing any of the towns offer more value for the home price? For instance, I also checked Chatham, but $700k gets you a small home/property.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:12 PM

206 posts, read 532,358 times
Don't know a ton about Livingston but between BH, NP, and BR, i think you'd get slightly more home for 650-700k in BH. NP might be similar but with higher taxes. BR probably more expensive (and further from NYC), while Summit & Chatham will be the most expensive - shockingly little house for 700k. BR will generally give you more land though if you care about that, most lots from 1/2 to full acre.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieCo View Post
Thanks for the feedback. How about price range and value? Would anyone thing any of the towns offer more value for the home price? For instance, I also checked Chatham, but $700k gets you a small home/property.
Long Hill Twp is probably the cheapest good town in the area you're looking in, IMO. That said, it has it's own feel. It's a bit more rural feeling with the Great Swamp making up half the town's land area. It's also 84% non-Hispanic White and a lot of longer-term residents. I wouldn't be concerned about racism or anything, but realize that it's got a more conservative, more rural perspective.

That feeds into the Watchung Hills Regional HS.

If you think the commute time is acceptable you could look into Green Brook or Bridgewater for other towns relatively cheaper than the ones you've looked in.

Do be sure you check the flood maps for all these towns though. While most of these towns are fine, all 3 have waterways with some flood zone areas around them.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis44 View Post
Don't know a ton about Livingston but between BH, NP, and BR, i think you'd get slightly more home for 650-700k in BH. NP might be similar but with higher taxes. BR probably more expensive (and further from NYC), while Summit & Chatham will be the most expensive - shockingly little house for 700k. BR will generally give you more land though if you care about that, most lots from 1/2 to full acre.
I agree that in Basking Ridge you would get the most land and the lowest taxes in all the areas you listed. I do think your budget would allow for a decent sized house in Basking Ridge but it might be a split level vs colonial. Also be mindful of flood zones in Basking Ridge. I think it is a great town with an excellent school district, and would be my choice out of the towns you listed. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM

22 posts, read 33,479 times
Berkeley Heights, New Providence or Basking Ridge are all nice. According to the Money magazine ranking in 2014, BH is the best small town to live in throughout the whole NY/NJ/PA areas, and it is my choice.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:13 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,563 times
Berkeley Heights and New Providence. Livingston is different than the others you mention...look at the demographics. School pressure is very high there. Schools are excellent in the other two, but perhaps more balanced. Just going on what I have hear from friends.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:34 AM

51 posts, read 132,314 times
Snuffybear, what's your source regarding Livingston schools pressure? Or are you just rumor mongering?

I have 2 children in the public school system here & most of my friends are from here. No pressure.

One of my kids is in 1st grade where she is currently being taught (!) counting 1-20. They introduce multiplication in December 3rd grade.

If anything, I have had discussions with friends who're pondering application to private schools due to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey