Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,801,665 times

Advertisements

I've been following the case of Shaneen Allen, the Philadelphia woman that was arrested in NJ after a traffic stop when she let the officer know she had a handgun in her purse. She had a valid PA carry license, but NJ won't recognize (and for all intensive purposes, won't grant them either). More details in the link.

I am just curious what you folks in NJ think about this case? Interestingly, the same judge that let Ray Rice do a program to avoid jail time for knocking out his wife, denied the same option for Ms. Allen. She is looking at several years in prison.

Judge refuses to drop N.J. gun charges against Phila. woman - Philly.com

Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,932,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
I've been following the case of Shaneen Allen, the Philadelphia woman that was arrested in NJ after a traffic stop when she let the officer know she had a handgun in her purse. She had a valid PA carry license, but NJ won't recognize (and for all intensive purposes, won't grant them either). More details in the link.

I am just curious what you folks in NJ think about this case? Interestingly, the same judge that let Ray Rice do a program to avoid jail time for knocking out his wife, denied the same option for Ms. Allen. She is looking at several years in prison.

Judge refuses to drop N.J. gun charges against Phila. woman - Philly.com
As a supporter of the right to carry, no, but at the same time, ignorance of the law should never be a valid excuse for breaking it either. Comparing it to the Ray Rice case is a non sequitur IMO, judges are bound by certain guidelines that allow for the avoidance of jail time for certain crimes, and unfortunately in this case, I don't believe it was available. You can argue (as I would) that its wrong, but that's a question for the legislature as they are the ones who make the laws that tie the judges' hands as far as the amount of leeway they are given in cases such as these.

Unfortunately Ms. Allen is not the first person from Pennsylvania to have this happen in NJ. In a perfect world, one would be able to carry unrestricted in all 50 states, but the world is not perfect, and its incumbent upon you as a responsible firearm owner to know where you can carry and where you cannot. I get that many people want to portray this as anti-gun New Jersey lowering the boom on an otherwise law abiding citizen from gun friendly PA, but consider this. What if Ms. Allen had entered a school, courthouse, U.S. Post Office, correctional facility, or other venue in Pennsylvania where one is prohibited by law to carry by the state of Pennsylvania while carrying a firearm and was charged? Would there still be such an outcry?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM
46H

1,643 posts, read 1,376,919 times
If she knew that she had to tell the officer about the weapon she should have known that there are 10 states where her CCW permit is not legal including the state right next door to PA. She is also charged with having the gun loaded with armor penetrating bullets. That is a big issue as they are illegal in NJ.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,940,193 times
nicely stated badfish.

(and to OP: it is "intents and purposes", not "intensive purposes"... just one of those odd phrases that gets mis-heard sometimes)

Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,273 times
Yes. It happens to tourists in NYC which also has strict gun laws. Look at the Plaxico Burress case too.

Same applies to traveling overseas. Don't bring coke to Indonesia if you value your freedom and/or life.

Last edited by EBWick; 09-16-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM

23,299 posts, read 16,980,838 times
NJ activist judges and prosecutors will slash and burn administrative violatiors and flail around their mandatory 3 yr sentences/graves act, in a frantic effort to discourage legal gun ownership in NJ.

Meanwhile, known gang members, actually wearing labels and riding down highways and the source of 99% of NJ's violent crimes sail by unscathed.

Nj has gone after law abiding citizens who made an oops and let's a famous BB player walk after shooting his chauffer.

Gang members selling drugs and guns welcome in NJ!

All others abandon all hope when you cross the Deleware or Hudson.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 8,026 times
I agreed with Badfish on the fact that ignorance of the law shouldn't be an excuse for breaking it. One of the real issues, if you have watched the video on the NRA site, is that this really is a common occurrence. Evan Nappen (Ms. Allen's attorney), who is one of the foremost authorities on gun law, mentioned that he had a handful of other cases he was currently defending on the same issue.

There is a point where reciprocity between the states is more than just a "convenience", but the root of the issues lies with NJ's refusal to allow any civilian carry aside from ex-LEO, even were proper training and renewal testing protocols to be put into place. There are several cases where victims of repeat physical crimes, sometimes by the same criminal, have requested carry permits in NJ for protection and been denied. Being a PI in New Jersey doesn't even allow the ability to carry, though the job may carry certain inherent dangers, and request for a permit is met with denial. Until the internal carry laws and procedures for citizens in NJ because reasonable, there is no chance of reciprocity of other state CCW permits.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,801,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
If she knew that she had to tell the officer about the weapon she should have known that there are 10 states where her CCW permit is not legal including the state right next door to PA. She is also charged with having the gun loaded with armor penetrating bullets. That is a big issue as they are illegal in NJ.
She didn't "have" to tell him anything. She volunteered, which unfortunately for her, didn't end well. Not sure what you're talking about in regard to "armor piercing" bullets. I'm assuming you mean hollow-points, which EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE in the US carries in defensive handguns, except in NJ where even if you get a permit, you can't carry them. Have to admit, even good 'ol Massachusetts is a bastion of freedom compared to NJ.

Believe me, I stay out of NJ as much as possible (and my $), but when I do I leave my gun at home to stay out of jail. The 2nd Amendment isn't recognized there...at all.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:38 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,830,068 times
What's the imperative lesson to be learned here?

Never volunteer information to the police.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
This was so easy to avoid you take out the ammo put it in a box put the box and the gun in the trunk separate and keep driving just like cell phone if it's in the trunk its a non issue
She now needs a lawyer and as real good attitude to beat this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey